6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 7:03 AM by station_two

Can Photoshop reach overload?

ghostly pattern appearing Level 1

While working on a multi-layer-file in Photoshop5, an error of plaid panels appeared after clicking on the multiply filter. I also had other large Photoshop files opened at the time. I was wondering if Photoshop has limitations as far as file size, etc. Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before?

• 1. Re: Can Photoshop reach overload?
          Level 5

It all depends on your resources.  Please elaborate on your setup, machine specs, exact version of the OS and of Photoshop, etc.

The "minimum requirements" specified by Adobe are laughably optimistic..

BOILERPLATE TEXT:

Note that this is boilerplate text.

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand,

such as your platform (Mac or Win),

exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop (not just "CS6", but something like CS6v.13.0.6) and of Bridge,

your settings in Photoshop > Preference > Performance

the type of file you were working on,

machine specs, such as total installed RAM, scratch file HDs, total available HD space, video card specs, including total VRAM installed,

what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far,

what error message(s) you receive,

if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them,

if you're having printing issues, indicate the exact make and model of your printer, paper size, image dimensions in pixels (so many pixels wide by so many pixels high). if going through a RIP, specify that too.

etc.,

someone may be able to help you (not necessarily this poster).

a screen shot of your settings or of the image could be very helpful too.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Can Photoshop reach overload?
            Level 5

Off the bat, it sounds like video card issues.

• 3. Re: Can Photoshop reach overload?

I am using an iMac 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OSX Lion 10.7.5. And Photoshop CS5.

• 4. Re: Can Photoshop reach overload?
                Level 5

Exact version of Photoshop CS5 please.

Other specs are necessary too. Exact specs of video card, including amount on VRAM on card.

Please read the first response again.

Due to the current unavailability of clairvoyants and mind-readers in the forum, we respectfully request you supply sensible, complete details.

Remember, you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forums.  You are requesting help from volunteers users just like you who give their time free of charge. No one has any obligation to answer your questions.

• 5. Re: Can Photoshop reach overload?

I am using an iMac 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OSX Lion 10.7.5. And Photoshop CS5 Extended, Version 12.0 x64. I had maybe 3 files opened at the time, the sizes ranging from 300 MB to 700 MB. There were no error messages, only the "checked" pattern in image below. I hope I have included all info needed. Thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 9.28.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-11-18 at 9.33.24 AM.png

• 6. Re: Can Photoshop reach overload?
                    Level 5

First off all, you have not applied any Photoshop updates.  You are still on the original release version CS5 12.0.  You should be on Photoshop CS5 12.1.

Secondly, you still have not given me any information on the built-in VRAM on uour ATI card. 

Third, you have a measly amount of built-in RAM.  Looks like you have 3 GB of RAM.

The laughably optimistic minimum amount of RAM specified by Adobe is 4 GB of RAM.  Realistically, these days 8 GB of RAM is considered the bare minimum.

You do not have a physically separate HD (hard drive) for Photoshop's scratch file.

The rule of thumb I follow to figure out scratch space says to figure on 50 to 100 times the size of your largest file ever multiplied by the number of files you have open.  I have seen the scratch file exceed 800 GB once, an admittedly rare occurrence, but it often exceeds 200 GB when stitching large panoramas and the like.

As an example—and stressing that I'm aware that others have even more scratch space than I do—I keep two dedicated, physically separate hard drives as my primary and secondary Photoshop scratch disks and a lot of GB free on my boot drive for the OS.  I also have 16 GB of RAM installed.

Additionally, if you only have a single HD, i.e. your boot drive, you'd need it to be large enough to accommodate both the swap files of the OS as well as Photoshop's scratch.

The yellow grid pattern points to graphics card or video driver issues. Does that yellow grid print?

Personally, I would not want to have to run any version of Photoshop on your iMac machine.