2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2014 5:23 PM by CtDave

Tag Handwriting so it can be used as searchable within doucment.

mrhansolo

Hello,

I have several old forms that were filled out with a pen. I have complied them into a pdf and am using Acrobat Pro. I am wanting to take the name on sach page and tag it so I can end up typing in a name and having it show up in the search. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could go about doing this.

Thanks.

Example of form:

cdf.jpg

• 1. Re: Tag Handwriting so it can be used as searchable within doucment.
          a C student Level 3

I doubt the hand-writing would convert accurately using OCR. The only thing that comes to my mind would be using the Add Text tool in Acrobat Pro to type in the name just above the hand-written name. If you use a small white font the added text would be practically invisible, but would be searchable.

Hope this helps.

a 'C' student

• 2. Re: Tag Handwriting so it can be used as searchable within doucment.
            CtDave Level 5

"ICR" is used for an image of handwritten text. "OCR" cannot process an image of handwritten text.

Regardless, for PDF "tagged" means something very specific in context of accessibility (such as in accessible to those with disabilities).

Your best long term solution would be to create a digital form that mimics the paper form. Then populate it.

Or perhaps setting up the files such that you could use an MS Word "mail merge". The output the resultant file(s) to PDF.

This'll get the job done.

Be well...