Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2007 Sep 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS = Win XP SP2
Prod = RoboHelp HTML 6
SSL = WebHelp
ASP = <% Response.Write("Hello, world!") %>

When I insert the line of ASP above into an RH template or topic with TrueCode, RH changes each double-quote (") to a character entity reference (&quot;) when generating WebHelp. I tried a couple of escape characters but both failed.

* <% Response.Write("Hello, world!") %> produced <% Response.Write(&quot;Hello, world!&quot;) %>
* <% Response.Write(\"Hello, world!\") %> produced <% Response.Write(\&quot;Hello, world!\&quot;) %>
* <% Response.Write(""Hello, world!"") %> produced <% Response.Write(&quot;&quot;Hello, world!&quot;&quot;) %>

What is the proper escape sequence for a double-quote?

-- The Gunslinger

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi The Gunslinger

Have you tried &#34;?

In case the forum munges or attempts to interpret that: Ampersand Pound 34 Semicolon.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Maybe, because this replaces a character entity reference with a numeric character reference. ASP will recognize a literal character but will not recognize a character reference. AFIK, I really need an escape sequence in front of the double-quote to force RH to output a literal double-quote that ASP can read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A shot in the dark:

Have you tried

/"

forward slash quote

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it after reading your post. Unfortunately, it doesn't work.
<% Response.Write(/"Hello, world!/") %> produces <% Response.Write(/&quot;Hello, world!/&quot;) %>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

How does your response write work with JavaScript? I'm thinking you might be able to coax what you need by using JavaScript to perform a "write in" of the needed code.

Then again, maybe it's tilting at windmills.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Using JS to write ASP is ingenious, but won't work in my situation. We have a "cloud" computing product. Users access it via the Web after authenticating. We want to move our help online and we want to protect our help files by using the same ASP authentication scheme that we use in our product. ASP has the ability to hide itself (which is why I can't use JS to write the ASP). I want to inject ASP directly into the RH templates for the help project and have RH inject that ASP directly into the output (HTML). From there, the server is configured to treat the HTML files as if they are ASP files (since RH doesn't produce files with an ASP file extension). I realize that I can post-process the output (HTML) but that introduces a new layer of complexity (i.e., just one more thing to break or go wrong at the worst possible moment).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp