• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFLOOP List

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2007 Sep 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im wanting to loop some records, each record has a list of division ids in a field called divverify.

I want to run a query inside the loop against each id in the fields so that an email gets sent out to all the id numbers.

It is throwing me an error - probably because it is trying to list all the ids at once, and not individually after every loop. How can I achieve this?

Here is the error:

Error Executing Database Query.
The multi-part identifier "seldealer.divverify" could not be bound.

24 : SELECT *
25 : FROM loldivlist
26 : WHERE divid=#i#
27 : </CFQUERY>

::::::::::::::: Here is the CODE :::::::::::::::
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 06, 2007 Sep 06, 2007
Try using the query attribute of cfloop to loop through all the records in the first query. Although if the first query returned a single record where divverify is a list, you had it right but you need to do list="#seldealer.divverify#".

-Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the query attribute of cfloop to loop through all the records in the first query. Although if the first query returned a single record where divverify is a list, you had it right but you need to do list="#seldealer.divverify#".

-Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wanting to loop thru the list contained in the divverify field - the example you gave me will loop thru the dealers - I need to loop thru the divisionid's (in essence the divisions) to email the divisions associated with that dealer area to send the division an email. How do I query each divisionid in that list one at a time and loop at the same time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind - I just saw what you pointed out I did wrong - I did not put the ## signs around the list variable - that was it and it worked great. I was so CLOSE!!! : )

Thanks bud!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> each record has a list of division ids in a field called divverify

Storing multiple values in a single field complicates code unnecessarily. Its also a bad design choice as it violates normalization rules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be a better solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you have a many-to-many relationship. Meaning one dealer(?) belongs to many divisions (?). Instead of storing the division ids in a single column like this

DealerID| DivVerify
--------------------
1 | 2,4,18

You should store them in a separate table, with each dealer/divisionID in a separate row.

Table name: DealerDivision

DealerID, DivisionID
------------------------
1 , 2
1 , 4
1 , 18

Then you could use a single query to retrieve your results instead of using cfloop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2007 Sep 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This DIVverify is a "temp" field, which is only used if the dealer has not been assigned a division yet. What my goal was, is too put a list of division into one field, and then email each division in that field asking the division if this is there dealer. Once a dealer is claimed by a division, this field is wiped clean and never used again.

My second challenge is, how do I remove a specific id from this list, so that if the division says "nope, not my dealer", that I can remove their divisionid number from the list. If there was a way to determine the position of the list element, then I could use ListDeleteAt() function and tell it to delete that position...is there a way to determine list position for a specific list element?

I thought this would be the best and easiest way of working with these temp variables without creating another table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2007 Sep 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
ListFind() - found it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Normalization"??? Say it aint so?

LOL

I'm glad I read to the end of the posts because I was about to say "NORMALIZE YOUR DATABASE!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me point out something else too.
In the first query you are grabbing everything "SELECT *" but you are only using seldealer.divverify You should only select what you are going to use. Saves time and bandwidth and memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation