• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions 4.0 Win 8.1 "error! check activation"

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2014 Nov 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to borrow a book from Open Library. When I download the book I get the error message "error! check activation" in Digital Editions 4.0. I have an Adobe ID, my laptop has been authorized and my email has been verified. I would really like to be able to borrow books from Open Library. Any ideas why I am getting this error message. I have Windows 8.1.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same problem on Windows 7.  Hope we get an answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well looking through the forum I see quite a few "error check activation" posts spanning a couple of years with no answers. I was able to sort of solve my problem.by deauthorizing my laptop and  reauthorizing it again. Now when I try to borrow a book from Open Library I get a message that I've taken out the book but not opened it in Digital Editions with a link to download the book again.I download the book again and when I get to message if I want to open or save I pick open and it finally opens up in Digital Editions. I already have Digital Editions open when I do this. Don't know if this helps you or not but it's worth a try since it looks like we are not going to get much help here.

I've written to Open Library complaining about the fact that borrowing books from them is dependent on Digital Editions which seems to have problems and seems to be unsupported by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I tried that but no go.  I'm still getting the error. Very frustrating, since Open Library won't allow anything else to open the files.  Has anyone had any luck with Overdrive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that didn't work for you Janet. Maybe if more people complained to Open Library about this, this issue would get resolved. From looking at older posts it seems to go back to vers. 2.0 of Digital Editions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wound up downloading the .PDF file through OverDrive on my Kindle. *sigh*  Will complain to OL, because Adobe could obviously just give ****.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I upgraded from version 2 to 4.0 and now get the message, 'error: check activations'. Very frustrating. When I looked up how to fix this, adobe says, 'contact us and we will reset number of activations'. What I've now found is that its IMPOSSIBLE to actually contact them. All you can do is ask on the forum where no-one seems to have the definitive answer. Their 'help' section shows you can chat for support but I haven't been able to do that either. No chat, no email, no phone number...... I'm tempted to deauthorise my computer and try reauthorsing to see if that helps but realise I won't get any help from adobe if that just makes matters worse. What to do??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. So after sending my last post I decided to uninstall 4.2 and then installed version 3.0. Voila - problem seems to have gone! Hope this works for others

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked the first time. Now 3.0 gives me the same crappy error message ... It's pretty clear that Adobe gives a rat's a s s about these problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines