• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating files crash - no more information, but need to know what file causes it

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure where exactly to look for an answer, so here is what happens.

My version is RoboHelp 9.0.1.262.

Documentation department writes help, then it is translated and then I need to compile translated online help. I take translated folders and files (*.htm, *.hhc, and *.hhk) and drop them in an English project. I then open RH, open the project, verify that I see translated files by randomly clicking around. Then I attempt to generate target which is WebHelp. Under Content Categories I change language to correct target and click on Save and Generate. RH goes on with its normal procedure:

- starting compilation

- clearing output folder

- preparing to create WebHelp

- preparing files for WebHelp

- Copying file

- Updating files

And this is where it crashes.

I know why it crashes - most likely translators have not added or messed up some tags. What I want to know is where exactly it happens, i.e. what file. If I know the first file or list of files, I can fix them. I just don't know a way how to get a list of such files, or at least the first file. Please help. One may suggest to go back to translators and ask them to make sure all tags are there - this is being done continuously. The problem is that application is so huge (I mean it - huge), that fixes must come from all sides. Please help.

Thanks a lot,

Yuri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Likely you need to use the "divide and conquer" approach. Make a copy of the project. Delete half the topics from the copy and try compiling. You work your way through deleting and compiling until you isolate the problem topic(s).

Another approach would involve taking the good copy, then adding perhaps five topics at a time and compiling until you isolate the culprit(s).

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,

This is exactly what I have been doing so far. No-no-no, I don't want to do this. There are 3K files per project on average... and there are 20 projects x 7 languages... you get the feeling. There must be a better way.

Yuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you do find a better way, please post it here so we can all benefit from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp