• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated to new flash player and now no sound (mac)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to new Flash Player and now I have no sound.  I am running flash player 15, on a mac that is running OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Please can you help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

The bug is open to the video team, but without consistent steps to reproduce, it's unlikely that its going to generate a timely fix.

I did a little more searching, and I've found a number of people on the Apple forums that indicate that this might be the result of some corrupt settings.  The people that indicated success, particularly on the older versions of MacOS were all basically just trying variants of making the settings files unreadable.  Resetting them to their defaults should be cleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen on a specific site or sites, or do you have no sound anywhere on your computer (in which case, it's probably not Flash -- I'd check the volume controls on the keyboard and/or any speaker connections...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2014 Nov 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeromie. It is when using you tube,me berthing else works fine

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you get sound on something like http://www.homestarrunner.com/

Also, on Youtube, if you right-click the video, do you get "About Flash Player" or "About HTML5"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jerome,

I am having the same problem. And yes, sound did play from the link you listed and from sites like Apple. Only Youtube is affected on both Firefox and Safari. I just upgraded Flash this morning. Thanks for your help. - Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the YouTube videos, if you right click, does it show About Flash Player, or About HTML5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeromie, in answer to your questions - yes the website plays sound and on youtube it come up as adobe

Best Wishes

Carys Jackson

www.activewoman.eu & www.theactiverider.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2014 Nov 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that's interesting.  Thanks for the clarification.

As a workaround, please try the following:

Launch a video

Right-Click and choose Settings

Click the left-most tab

Uncheck Enable Hardware Acceleration

Refresh the page

Hopefully that works as a temporary fix. 

To really fix the problem, I'm going to have to track down a comparable set of machines to see if we can reproduce it.   It would be very helpful if everyone affected could give me the model of your machine and the full version of Flash Player that you're using (15.0.0.223, etc).

The information from Apple > About This Mac > More Info would be ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2014 Nov 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, deselecting hardware acceleration did not work. Still no sound.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

15.0.0.223, MacBook Air 10.9.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add:  1.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB. Hope that helps. I really need my sound back!

Thanks for working on this. In the meantime, Jerome, can we uninstall the latest Flash version and go back to an earlier version till you get this fixed? If so, could you tell us how to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We offer an Extended Support Release that trails the current version, but includes all of the security fixes.  If you're going to run an older version, that's the one that you'll want to use.

You'll need to uninstall the current version in order to move backwards:

Uninstall Flash Player | Mac OS

You can find the installer here:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/mac/install_flash_player_13_osx.d...

Also, I need a couple more details:

- Can you provide me with the generic model (i.e. Macbook AIR - Early 2004).  This will help me track down some candidate machines.

- Can you give me a direct link to a video or videos that demonstrate this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did moving back to Flash Player 13 fix it for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I've filed the following bug on your behalf:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3855185

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To tell the truth, I haven't had time to try. I'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is not good news. Still have the same problem with version 13. But I did not start experiencing the problem till I installed the new version, so now I don't know if it's Flash or something local.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of anyone else complaining about it, and most of Adobe uses Mac as their primary machine.  I usually get an earful when anything breaks on Mac, and I'm not seeing the wave of complaints in the forums that I would expect to see if this were a widespread issue.  People need their Hulu and HBO GO. 

There's a slim chance that we might have broken something, but we haven't been doing a lot of work in that area.  It seems unlikely to me, but it's worth it to me to have someone track down the right machine and double-check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it is just you tube, which I use a lot.  It was absolutely fine until I updated the latest version.  How dod i go back to 13, as I only updated as it wouldn't let me play any youtube videos in the older version, so just clicked upgrade.  Surely if i go back to where I was, it won't let me play them again - it will say flash plugin out of date.

Thanks for you help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2014 Nov 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried rolling back to 13, but Youtube videos still have no sound.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My YouTube is also totally silent. As of today. Yesterday it was fine.

Adobe, you are so into being on the edge of tomorrow you are cutting out everyone else who HAS to use your products.

I have 10.6.8, MacBook Pro.

All other videos work just fine, thank you.

It is nothing on my end.

I don't need to 'double check' anything, thank you.

Your update will not play on my older version of Safari, which I was very happy using. Now it won't play on Chrome, which is up to date.

What next, terminal shell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just Youtube?  Do you get silent video on sites like Hulu or CNN?

We haven't changed anything in the last day.  Does a reboot help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is just YouTube.

CNN works fine, Hulu is fine, rebooted, did everything.

Also, FYI, In Safari 5.1.10, which is Snow Leopard and still supported by Apple, YouTube no longer will launch. At all. It says Safari is not supported in that version, so I can no longer watch YouTube in Safari - and please don't tell me to update my OS, I have reasons for keeping this install.

I just played YouTube Videos on my iPad , so its not my internet connection that is the problem. It is this version of Chrome.

I read somewhere that someone's new install of Flash gave a default setting on sound as "off".

I checked my sound in System Preferences, its fine as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that we know it's not just me, Jerome, any clue as to how long it will take to address this problem? I depend on Youtube videos for my work, so as of this moment, I am stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines