• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 10 crashes when generating WebHelp

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2014 Nov 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new laptop, and have installed TechCommunicationSuite_4_WWEFDJ, which includes RH10. I mapped RH to source control (Team Foundation Server MSSCCI Provider), and have successfully been able to check-in/check-out files.

When I generate WebHelp, below is what displays in the Output View, and then I get an error prompt that RH is not working and to close it, find an online solution, etc.

I must be missing a dll or something in my new laptop. Everything was working fine on the old one. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Output View

Starting compilation...

WebHelp preprocessor 10.0.0.287

Clearing output folder...

Compiling C:\FuelsManager Help\Web Application\Cirrus\index.htm...  note: the output folder is local only; not mapped to source control

Preparing to create WebHelp...

Preparing files for WebHelp...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I got from the error details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: RoboHTML.exe

Application Version: 10.0.1.292

Application Timestamp: 51493787

Fault Module Name: RHUtils.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.0.287

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ff35385

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exception Offset: 000643af

Exception Code: c0000409

Exception Data: 00000000

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4

Locale ID: 1033

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional Information 1:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so not sure why I can't post the 9 1 4 3 number...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional Information 2: 9 1 4 3a6597780609423fd68bf08ad2a3e

Additional Information 3: 4 0 1 f

Additional Information 4: 4 0 1 f170992d76279abe942aefaa0e0f2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The details you are giving would only be of meaning to Adobe. Is this happening with one project or any project including a newly created project?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2014 Nov 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried to generate WebHelp for one of my older projects, but did not connect it to source control, and it generated the WebHelp.

I did the same on the new project, did not connect it to source control, it still crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What’s happening if you try one of the sample projects? How about letting the problem project generate in the project’s \!SSL!\ folder? How long are your path lengths? That might have an impact on the process too (hint: shorter is better)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the sample projects are.

The output path is on the same level as the !SSL! folder:  C:\FuelsManager Help\Web Application\Cirrus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sample projects are shipped with your copy of RH (you can open them from the Starter screen or in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 10\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US\ - in my case). Try one & see if it bombs.

If it doesn’t, try generating your problem project to the \!SSL!\ default folder.

If you are still stuck & can share your project, I’d be willing to have a look at it. Contact me via PM for e-mail addresses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to generate one of the samples:  WebHelp - Location Based

I'll have to get my manager's approval to share the project. I'll get back with you.

Appreciate all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2014 Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it crashes for me too – I tried trashing half the topics & retrying it, but it still kept crashing. So I created a fresh project and started importing htm topics from the damaged project in, one letter at a time. When I got to the C’s, (test compiling each letter), I saw that there was a couple of odd looking topics - cshdat_robohelp.htm & cshdat_webhelp.htm. When I looked at them, they appear to be output files. I think that’s your problem here – you seem to have source project content mixed up with output content – the two should never mix. That’s why there’s am \!SSL!\ folder for creating the webhelp in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were a couple of files missing when I mapped the files in source control to the new laptop. And I couldn't find the source file anywhere, so I figured I'd just copy them from the output files.

I deleted the files you mentioned from the source folder, but it's still crashing. Now the trick is to identify those files.

Is there any way for me to quickly identify those files?

Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope – source project files are completely different than output files. RH takes the source ones & changes them to make them output files. You should have a backup of the project someplace, right? If you don’t, then you could always reverse engineer a project out of the source files – see Willam’s web site (http://www.wvanweelden.eu/product-category/recovery-script) for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's gonna be a long one!

Thanks for your help! Appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did your IT not take an image of the old machine to use on your new one? Or at least back everything up first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The backup machine was the server which I mapped to the new laptop.

I do have a copy of the source files in my external drive, but they're a year old. So much has changed since then.

So now, I'm comparing both source files to see if there's anything amiss.

One question... When I copied an output HTML file into the source folder, I noticed that RoboHelp put red boxes at the top of the page, which I understood were the breadcrumbs in the output files. I deleted those red boxes.

Would that trick RoboHelp into thinking that the output files are now the original source files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so now I'm comparing both source files, and I'm seeing the output files you mentioned earlier (cshdat_robohelp.htm & cshdat_webhelp.htm) in the old project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Those red boxes are just the tip of the iceberg.

Depending on the recipe settings, all sorts of different javascript references and links are added to the topics. Just like a baked chocolate chip cookie is very different from the little ball of dough it began as, the output topics are really different animals than their source counterparts.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use a source control system with RH, not everything is committed to SC; you still maintain local files that need to be periodically backed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm I was told different by one of our developers. He said I shouldn't have to worry coz everything is in the server.

I should have known better and backed up my files.

Lesson learned the hard way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try compiling each letter like you did, Jeff. Will be easier for me to track the files.

I'm not sure if I can do  the reverse engineer, because I have about 6 different output files for different customers. And conditional build tags have been applied to the project files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1] It should be easy enough in your existing project to open each topic and look for red squares.

2] No reverse engineering will not work nicely for you as each CHM will have different content.

What your developer did not understand is that unlike ordinary HTML files, source topics also contain PIs (Processing Instructions) that are required to enable you to produce different output topics from the same source file.

Wherever I have worked I have always kept a copy of my projects on my own external drive. Trust no one!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice Peter! I'll definitely backup my projects in my external drive.

Ok. I've given much thought on how this project started crashing.

So, after I mapped the new laptop to source control, that's when I noticed the missing project files (had x next to it) and broken links. Not a lot. About 6 or 7, max 10.

I couldn't find the source files anywhere, so I copied those files from the output folder.

I have done this same process in the old laptop when source control was moved to a different server.

When I first noticed those red boxes, I did not delete them.

I generated the help, and noticed two breadcrumbs. That's when I realized the red boxes were breadcrumbs, so I deleted all those.  

Two things:

1. I was able to generate the help with those red boxes,
  2. In the source folder of my backup from a year ago, both these files were also in there:  cshdat_robohelp.htm & cshdat_webhelp.htm

So now I'm not so sure if copying the project output files over to the source files is causing the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp