• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 9 question on referring to javascripts

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am working with Robohelp 9. I am working with a group in India that incorporates the Robohelp files that I have generated into their product's online help .They are telling me that they have to hand edit output files from the SSL! folder to add a location for the javascripts they are using (i.e. whver.js). The output for my topic files contain this reference: <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="whver.js"></script>. They want me to edit these this to add this to the path:  /...abcdirectory/ after src=".

I have moved the files to abcdirectory, but the output files do not generate with this path. It is impractical to edit output files. Is there another way in Robohelp to indicate the location of the .js files so that the output files contain the correct path?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

No. Tell them you will not mess with their code if they don't mess with yours. They are creating a problem that would not exist if they left things alone.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, well, there are "seed" files you could try manipulating. The trick would be to sort exactly which files feed what you need.

I would begin by right-clicking the shortcut you use to open RoboHelp. Then choose properties. Then click the Open File Location button.

In the RoboHelp install location you should see a folder named WebHelp5Ext and inside that folder should be a folder named template_stock. I *THINK* the seed files will be in there. You might start by looking at the webhelp5stock.xml file in Notepad.

Standard warnings apply. Do make backup copies of any file you choose to modify.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. Believe it or not, the developers are hand editing their files to add the path directory.  I looked at your suggested directories, but what they're doing is so unconventional, I couldn't make it work. thanks for responding to me.

Elise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2014 Nov 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I have ever seen anyone report this problem so that suggests to me that the developers are messing with things.

Did you perhaps zip the help and did they extract it to retain the structure, rather than drag the files out of the zip file?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

You were right, the developers are messing with things. They are hand editing output files to add a directory path. Because I can't see what or why they are doing this because of the different work locations, I'm stuck having to hand edit before I hand off the files to them.

Thanks for your response,

Elise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Tell them you will not mess with their code if they don't mess with yours. They are creating a problem that would not exist if they left things alone.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, Peter. I will not be editing my files. Unfortunately, I have no control on what this third party does to the compiled files when they get them. But my source will stay clean.

Thanks,

Elise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused. You said you were having to hand edit them, presumably to meet their requirements. My point was to decline to do this as there is no need. They are asking you to make a change they are making when there is no need to make the change in the first place.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm not editing the files, but apparently the third-party engineers  are not experts at what they are doing and they edit the generated files to integrate them on their end. I confess, I don't know what they are doing or why they are doing it. I have not personally been involved in integrating the compiled help into applications.

This is an unusual project for my company and we don't usually use Robohelp. We have used Frame for years and are now transitioning to Flare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry. You didn't say that you were editing them, rather that they wanted you to edit them. To which the answer is not for this forum.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp