• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where are the .joboptions stored on a Mac for InDesign CC?

New Here ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the .joboptions stored on a Mac for InDesign CC?

I put them in the usual directory:      /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings   .  .  . but they are not seen by InDesign CC.

. . . Photoshop, Illustrator, Distiller and Acrobat are seeing my custom profiles and any default profiles I removed are not there for those apps.

Even older versions of all these apps and InDesign 6 and 5 see my custom profiles.

But InDesign CC only shows the ones shown in the screen shot below:  (High Quality, the PDF/X versions[3], Press and Smallest size)

I know I can probably do a "Load" profile, but that's not the point and I need to remove the default profiles.

I'm in a multiple user environment and need to lock down the use of profiles to our companies select few.

Did a thorough search of the entire Mac and PDF/X- does not even show up.   Any suggestions?     Anyone?    I'm scratchin'  my head at this point.

Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 2.00.42 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Just two things to add here:

1. Working with an alias of an joboptions file in the user directory will work.

2. It's possible to copy joboptions files from a repository to the current user directory "Settings" by a startup script for InDesign.

That script would identify a user by its name and copies the needed joboptions to the "Settings" folder in the appropriate user directory. Or removes joboptions files not needed anymore from the user’s "Settings" folder.

Example scenario: At start up of inDesi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Maurizio – the standard settings, the joboption files with the brackets like [PDF/X-1a:2001] are stored inside the inDesign app for InDesign CC 9.2.1.

The path for these would be:
/Applications/Adobe InDesign CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Resources/Adobe PDF/settings/mul

or with a Japanese version of InDesign:

/Applications/Adobe InDesign CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Resources/Adobe PDF/settings/japan

If you do a right-click on the InDesign app you can show them with "Show Package Contents" options.

All other PDF joboptions that you are creating are relative to your current User Library. They are stored in:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Where the tilde sign at the beginning indicates the home of the currently used user.

You can access ~/Library, if you press the alt key when accessing the "Go To" menu in the Finder. Otherwise it's invisible.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just two things to add here:

1. Working with an alias of an joboptions file in the user directory will work.

2. It's possible to copy joboptions files from a repository to the current user directory "Settings" by a startup script for InDesign.

That script would identify a user by its name and copies the needed joboptions to the "Settings" folder in the appropriate user directory. Or removes joboptions files not needed anymore from the user’s "Settings" folder.

Example scenario: At start up of inDesign remove all joboptions files in the "Settings" folder, copy all joboptions files in directory xyz on server xyz to the "Settings" folder.

All doable to manage centralized joboptions files for different users on different machines.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to click your first response as the "Correct Answer".      Thanks Laubender!     Worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm so glad I found your post!! I'm in CC 2014 and have a .joboptions file I need to use ASAP and couldn't even begin to know where to look. THANK YOU!!

- Jules

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changes were made in the way the standard profiles were stored with the CC applications. That is because each application is installed separately, instead as part of a Suite. And, users can change languages. So there may be multiple copies of the standard profiles installed (but they will all be the same for the same language).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the correct answer:

@Maurizio – the standard settings, the joboption files with the brackets like [PDF/X-1a:2001] are stored inside the inDesign app for InDesign CC 9.2.1.

The path for these would be:
/Applications/Adobe InDesign CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Resources/Adobe PDF/settings/mul

or with a Japanese version of InDesign:

/Applications/Adobe InDesign CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Resources/Adobe PDF/settings/japan

If you do a right-click on the InDesign app you can show them with "Show Package Contents" options.

All other PDF joboptions that you are creating are relative to your current User Library. They are stored in:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Where the tilde sign at the beginning indicates the home of the currently used user.

You can access ~/Library, if you press the alt key when accessing the "Go To" menu in the Finder. Otherwise it's invisible.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines