Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank Screens

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2007 Sep 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

I cant figure out whats wrong with captivate. Whether im recording an application or a web page it keeps coing back wiht a blank reocrding of one slide!

I have checked settings all are showing to show mouse clicks etc.

Please help, im meant to be buying this but tbh i might not bother !
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rallen2006

Likely there is nothing wrong with Captivate. Blank and partial screens are simply a fact of life.

Here's the deal. Captivate is running on your local PC. It is running very quickly. When it senses you have clicked the mouse, Poof! It grabs a screen capture as it is supposed to. When you are recording a web page or an application, often Captivate is just so quick on the draw with the screen capture that what you are capturing hasn't yet had time to fully fill in. Web pages are normally the biggie here, because when you click a link, a command is issued to the server. The server then has to fetch the data, ship it back and it finally displays on your screen. Captivate frequently will grab the screen long before it has had a chance to fully update.

This is why it's handy to pay close attention when recording. You begin to develop a feel for when you need to supplement the automatic recording by grabbing a screen capture manually pressing the capture screen. After all, it's far easier to delete a few unwanted screens here and there, than it is to re-create what was missed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its veyr strnage tho, it was working fine on another machine just literally stopped, even with basic recordings and long ones. For example it was working perfectly see this: http://www.tech.plymouth.ac.uk/learntech/captivate/Opening_windows_explorer_demo/Opening_windows_exp... it just doesnt make sense, no matter what i do it records nothing at all. IT makes it pointless to buy it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s also even if i add in screen grabs etc they arent showing its completey blank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rebecca

Okay, firstly, I need to apologize. I guess I haven't had enough caffeine yet. I totally misunderstood your issue. I now see you are reporting that you aren't able to record anything, right?

I suppose a good start would be to try deleting your Captivate configuration file.

To do this,:
1. Close Captivate.
2. Open Windows Explorer and locate the following location: (default installation assumed)
C:\Documents and Settings\[USER ACCOUNT]\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Captivate
3. Delete the captivate_v30.dat file. (or rename it if you aren't comfortable deleting it)
4. Restart Captivate and it will create a new configuration file.

Give that a go and see if it helps. Hopefully it will.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

I just deleted the .dat file and it still didn't work for me either.

Any other fixes anyone? I still cannot create any captivate simulations!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to Captivate 3 and am now experiencing this same issue. Now matter how I set my settings it will not record a local application or a browser application. It will however record from an existing captivate file (i.e. record additional slides). Although when I record additional slides it will not allow me to change the screen size of the capture.

Can any Captivate developer help with this? I used Captivate 2 all the time, but now I'm at a standstill with my projects due to a Captivate 3 issue. Please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it does the same to me from captivate 2! its so annoying ;(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

Sorry its been one of those days and im probably not explaining myself properly. I tried this earlier, tried renaming and now deleting neither worked. Here is a screen grab of what i get after each/any recording now.

http://www.tech.plymouth.ac.uk/learntech/images/sharepoint/error.jpg

I just dont understand whats going on 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2007 Sep 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump anyone.....this is getting despearate now 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I placed a case with Adobe Support so I'm hoping to here something back soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
i have an interestng update...i tried it on another machine wiht a different video card and it works....on my new machine it doesnt.......hope Adobe sort something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources