Exit

Upgrading an X3 project to Rh6

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2007 Sep 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Import Word Document Wizard cannot locate Microsoft Word
Please install Microsoft Word

This is the message I get whenever I try to import a .doc file into Robohelp with this brand new PC they gave me.
It has now Word 2003 on it. I installed Robohelp as usual. I've added the path to the Word .exe file in the Options window ( HTML editor tab). But it simply won't find Word when I want to import a document. Plus, whenever I select import, the import window will search .html files by default instead of .docs. It wasn't like that before.

Can anybody help?

edit: Robohelp HTML X3
edit 2: title modified/updated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi P-Y. Are you using RHX5 per chance? If so, you need to download the service patch 2 that supports Word 2003. Click here to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I edited my previous post, I'm under "Robohelp HTML X3"

Please don't tell me they arent compatible together? I'm currently looking on the web to see what the problem could be..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi P-Y. I'm afraid there is a lot that X3 doesn't support. Can't you get Word 2000 reinstalled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I won't tell you that they are not compatible but if anyone else is reading this, they are not compatible. No way, no how, no workaround. X5 is the first version that will work. Bear in mind X3 was around long before Word 2003 so they couldn't make it compatible.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Column, yeah Peter I'm currently reading your site (grainge.org..)

I'm afraid I'll have to upgrade.. I could switch back to 2000 but all my dept will now be working with 2003..

Oh well, thanks for your quick help guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

double post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to upgrade you'll have to go up to RH6 but there are no real issues in doing this. I'm also not too sure whether you can upgrade from X3. As Peter points out it is long in the tooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks i'm looking at Peter's R6's installation page.. I think I'm gonna call cust. support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cust Support said "Yes", you can upgrade from X3 to 6.

If you don't hear from me again on this subject, it means it worked ; )

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 14, 2007 Sep 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did have some trouble upgrading an X3 project straight to RH6. I had a copy of X5 lying around, so I went back to my original and did a double upgrade.

Unfortunately I didn't take notes, but I think the project just kept crashing - from memory it kept spouting about the .cpd. It might have been that "cannot open cpd" message that has been on the forums recently.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. (If i get time, I'll try to get a copyof the original project and try again...unfortunately, I'm leaving for the weekend, so I can't try right now )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2007 Sep 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks amebr

Looks like I'll get the upgrade next week, I'll keep you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2007 Sep 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I've had a play with my X3 project.

It imported into RH6 perfectly, except that it lost it's link with the Visual SourceSafe version control software. When I did the upgrade through X5, the link was maintained correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2007 Sep 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amebr, that's good to know.
I should be able to upgrade it this week.. it takes days days here to approve a 500$ expense from my managers.. : (
I'll keep you posted no matter what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2007 Nov 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here I am, a month later, upgrading my project from X3 to Rh6.

After a couple of system errors trying to open my .mpj file, it finally worked. Although I seem to have lost my TOC and some images arent copied in the generated output.

Any of you guys encountered such problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2007 Nov 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon further investigations here's the problem I got;

every images that are not under a dropdown text will not be copied in the generated output.

every images that are used as a dropdown text trigger OR any images hidden into the dropdown text function WILL be copied in the generated output..

edit: is it possible that this bug has something to do with the htm's folder having spaces or not in it's folder title??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

(...)
edit: is it possible that this bug has something to do with the htm's folder having spaces or not in it's folder title??

Oh yes it is ; )

Anyone know how I could automatically add underscores to the 1000+ folders in my project?
I guess I should try to run a command that would add them automaticaly, and then modifiy a specific robohelp file so that it doesnt recreate underscoreless folders whenever I'll open my project??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I don't think you can automate it as the underlying database will lose track of the files. You must do it in project manager. Select the option that automatically adds underscores then press F2 with a filename highlighted in Project Manager. Not sure if you will have to make small change or whether just pressing F2 and then clicking elsewhere will do it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp