• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deinterlace and Premiere workflow (need to nail this)

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In AE one sets the (field) Interpretation for footage at the source. In Final Cut 7 there is a Deinterlace filter that can be applied en masse to clips in the timeline. Neither option seems applicable in Premiere.

If I have interlace source material and a delivery spec for Progressive, it is satisfactory to edit a native seq (interlace) then on export set it to Progressive?  Or does one have to additionally go into Field Options for every clip in the TL and set it for "Always Deinterlace" ?

If it were the easy option 1 I would be surprised why so many on-line explanations suggest the time-consuming 2nd?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul.

To get real progressive you need to enable "always deinterlace" for all clips together with the settings level in your timeline and of course export to progressive...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Florian. I just want to confirm that this is something you can only do* in the Timeline on a individual clip basis?

* "always deinterlace"

I'm hoping that is not true as it would be so much easier to apply en masse.  But if it's clip-by-clip I'll do it that way and write up a feature request.

Thanks again,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that you can select them all (Ctrl-A) and then right click to do that on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I was hoping that but I just redid a test I tried earlier using Premiere CC - when I select all or a group of clips in the TL & right click... "Frame Options" is greyed out, ditto Clip->Modify is also greyed out, so on my system that is a dead end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your footage is interlaced you set up an interlaced timeline and export to progressive.

Always Deinterlaced is only useful when you have interlaced artifact due to a clip speed <100% or a freeze frame. The effect is clip based and cannot be turned on or off for a whole sequence at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann,

Am I reading you correctly that the workaround is to create a new set of source files? Maybe I'm wrong but in light of the better workflow in AE* it's (IMHO) hard to believe this would be a solution Adobe would endorse.

*In AE one sets the (field) Interpretation for footage at the source, then you set the comp for whatever and you're go-to-go, no?

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your source exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case 3 NTSC clips under 10min.  So one *could* reformat them without a heavy overhead (one would need to retain original timecode of course) but I'm also trying to have a workflow ready for an instance and volume where reformatting would not be practical. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if I understand you right. If you want to deinterlace interlace footage, there are many different possebilities to do this, like skip field, field insertion, field blend etc. ...

If you put your interlace material in a progressive timeline and export to progressive like Ann said there is no real deinterlacing. You will see the difference clearly in your result.

If you want to "allways deinterlace" you can use the adjustment layer in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Florian, in an earlier post you had said that the correct methodology is a 2 step process. First "To get real progressive you need to enable "always deinterlace" for all clips"

Second "settings level in your timeline and of course export to progressive..."

It seems I misunderstood  Ann's post "If your footage is interlaced you set up an interlaced timeline and export to progressive."

I *had* thought she was saying the footage had to be reformatted first via exporting from the TL, it seems I was wrong. If that is not about reformatting (as I now understand) then she is saying the solution is a *one* step process and that would appear to contradict your original post that proposes a 2 step process. Ann does not seem to think part 1 of your process "To get real progressive you need to enable "always deinterlace" for all clips"  is required. Yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm nowhere as experienced as Ann, but yes ... I've had some interlaced footage and simply edited it as such and then during export set the export for progressive. There are ways of handling mixed footage on a sequence but that's past my "ken". I've avoided it as it seemed simpler and hey, I'm the DP & the Editor & the Colorist here ... ha.

But again ... just edit on a timeline set from the source material, and then export as thou wist ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you put your interlace material in a progressive timeline and export to progressive like Ann said there is no real deinterlacing. You will see the difference clearly in your result."

I did it slightly different. I've put a downloaded interlaced Youtube-video.on a interlaced timeline and exported that as progressive.

Just needed to try both upper and lower field. One would make it worse after export to progressive, the other one worked.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I'm almost a year late replying to this thread but have just seen it.

The best option is to edit your interlaced clips on an interlaced timeline. Only add de-interlace related filters to certain clips if you have flicker problems or similar with those clips, eg flicker on slowed down clips. When you export, let the export process do the de-interlacing for you, ie leave the field order check box set to progressive in the Basic Video Settings box that comes up.

The resulting exported video file will be de-interlaced. A lot of the presets, eg Vimeo will automatically set the check box to progressive and so will de-interlace on export when it encodes the new exported file.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines