• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple programs crash using a Save As dialog box, suspected cause is interaction of machine with Robohelp

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, it could also be related to RoboSource Control.

I have a problem with my entire system. I am getting regularly kicked out of programs when I try to add an attachment or save something. It occurs when a standard Windows 'Save As' or 'Open file' dialog box is opened to browse to a file path, and this regularly leads to being kicked out of the whole program. This happens in Chrome, all the microsoft office programs, outlook, adobe acrobat reader - everything in fact where I use one of these standard Windows file browsing dialog boxes. The kicking out is pretty indiscriminate - it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes it will take me 5 or 6 attemps to save something or add an attachment, having to reload the program each time. Sometimes, but rarely, it will work first time.

The only program it doesn't happen in is Roboscreen Capture and Robohelp, which is odd in itself. Both the two other technical writers in my department have both exactly the same issue with their machines, and this never happens to anyone else in the office of about 40 people. The only thing me and the two other technical writers have in common with our machines is that we all have Robohelp and RoboSource Control and Roboscreen Capture.

We use version control through RoboSource Control with Robohelp, this could be the problem. We are also raising this issue with our IT department.

Can anyone on here give a helping hand to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Matt.

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

I found this old post - maybe something in it will help. (it does also mention a problem with RH8 towards the end)

Windows 7 -- most programs crash when I do File -> Open - Microsoft Community

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been hanging around these forums for about ten years and that's a new one on me. It's only happening to people with Rh but it doesn't happen in Rh, just about everything else.

Are you maybe using a very old version of Rh on an operating system it wasn't designed for? I would doubt that as you would be seeing many more problems. What operating system are you using?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH 11 and running Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1. I've a 64 bit machine, as does one of the other technical writers but the third one has a 32 bit. So I don't think it's anything to do with outdated versions or operating systems, although it might be interaction with the current version or current OS.

The ideal would be to delete RH and Robosource control and run the machines for a while without, just to see if the problems persist. But I use RH far too frequently for that, and am on too tight a deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this old post - maybe something in it will help. (it does also mention a problem with RH8 towards the end)

Windows 7 -- most programs crash when I do File -> Open - Microsoft Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are an absolute genius, this seems to have done the trick. It is making checking things in and out of version control slightly slower but it has stopped the crashing. Thanks very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, what part of this posted link applied to your situation? The corrupt sectors on the hard drive or disabling the RS shell dll?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The post right at the bottom about the disabling the RS shell extension applied to my situation. The post by SueB99 on March 2, 2011. I downloaded ShellExView and disabled the NGMenuShlExt Class extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp