• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it safe to delete the old images saved as gif file in Web Help project created in RH Html v3?

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2007 Sep 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am updating the Web Help Project created in the RH HTML v3 to v6. As almost all the images (saved as a gif file) of the help file are outdated I was thinking of deleting (delete from the wysiwyg editor as well as from the system – by deleting from the Explorer) them and saving new images (as gif type) with the same image file name.

I just wanted to make sure beforehand that it is not going to give any problem later when I take Web Layout or the Printed documentation layout.

I would appreciate if anybody can give me suggestion on that!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SangyD,

I often delete images and replace them after annotating them. I do this from Windows Explorer and it is never a problem but there is one thing to be aware of. If you change the size of an image, you need to delete and reinsert it in RoboHelp or it will be distorted.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2007 Sep 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for replying.

John, I have one question for you! When you said that you often delete images from explorer, what location you exactly meant in Explorer - from your working folder (that is if your Project is under Visual Source Safe) or from Program file/RoboHelp 6.0 folder.

I am not sure if that would make any difference but i was deleting from my working folder of Visual Source Safe, as that is the only location in Explorer I know from where Robohelp images files can be seen. I could not find any images files under Program file/RoboHelp 6.0 folder.

Although, I am curious to find out if there is any other location where images files can be deleted from and should be deleted from. Just want to make sure if i am doing the right way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 17, 2007 Sep 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have an old version of RoboHelp (v. 2000) so it doesn't have any source save, etc. just a single project folder,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the pixel size of the new .gif image is not the same as the old .gif image, you can open the topic, right-click the new image, and select Reset Size.

It's still not very fast, but it's a bit quicker than re-importing (and if you're under source control, it's a WHOLE LOT quicker!)

And thanks, John, for remembering that - I always forget and have to hear about the distorted images from QA!

Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other comment...if you have image maps associated with the graphic, *don't* delete it before replacing the graphic in Windows, or you'll lose your image mapping. If you just do a simple replace from Windows, then you'll retain your image maps. And as Elisa mentioned, you'll need to do a Reset Size from within RH to fix any distortion.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp