• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Help File

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2007 Sep 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I am trying to determine if the Help closes with the application in both WebHelp and HTML help. We are trying to determine which layout best suits our new web application and there is concern that if we produce WebHelp and a new web page is opened when Help is initiated - and the user closes the application, the WebHelp will remain on the screen. There are some hippa issues and we would like to be sure the Help closes when the application is shut down. I've noticed that even HTML help stays on the screen when we close out of an application. Since we are creating a new web application and neither the app nor the help is ready to join up I have no way to test this and could use your expertise to know which Help layout will work best for this. We are using RoboHelp 6.0.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2007 Sep 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that sticks out to me is that you are developing a web application. I may be a bit presumptuous here but that does lead towards you also having a help file that is web based? If so, then webhelp has to be the way to go unless you want your users having that annoying "Open" or "Save" download dialog each time they try and access the help. Over and above that, how the help is displayed is entirely up to your developers. If you must have it in the application window this is achievable which would mean the help would close if the application were to be closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2007 Sep 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the feedback on the issue of closing the Help window when the application is closed. I appreciate knowing about the download dialog that is presented. I hadn't thought that far but you are correct. So basically I need to figure out how to close the webhelp when the user closes the application. Is this something that a technical support person may be helpful with or how would the development team begin to understand what is needed since we've never used RoboHelp. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How the webhelp is closed depends on how it is called . That said, it is feasible to shut down the help when the application is closed no matter how the help was called. Talk to your developers who will be building the call to the help. The syntax they use for the call will determine whether the help is opened in a window internal or external to the application. Either way, they should be able to find a way to close both windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just seen that you sent me a private message and that my last response didn't answer all your question. If the help is displayed in a window that is inside the application window, closing the application should also close the help. Think of the help as a dialog. If the application is closed with a dialog open, the dialog is closed also. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an idea---

Closing the child window (WebHelp) when the parent window (the Web app) is closed sounds like something that may be possible with JavaScript. Check with the developers.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2007 Sep 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to you guys so much for helping me around what is likely basic information.

Do either of you know how to adjust my margins. I've gone to the stye sheet (and the Help) but it only has the option of the adjusting the paragraph indention, which I've played with a bit to adjust the paragraph following a header and just can't seem to get it to stick. I want to change all the pages, not just a single page. I've got a couple of books but have not found a solution in any of them, other than the paragraph indention. Thanks again. I so wish there was a manual that I could go to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your project closed, try opening up your .css file (default.css unless you created a new one) in a text editor like Notepad. Under BODY, enter a line like the following (this example declares the left margin):

margin-left: 20px;

Enter whatever value you want. You can also set margin-right, margin-top, and margin-bottom values. If you want all margins the same, use:

margin: 20px;

...with your own value instead of 20.

When you open your project, you should see the new margins in the WYSIWYG editor. I haven't seen RoboHelp change styles that I have manually entered in the .css file, so this should stick.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you Ben - I'll try this and I appreciate your help so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp