Cant install FlashPlayer due to Proxy Problem SOLVED

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2014 Dec 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I go to

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_ab=1

I click install and am taken to

//get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_16_for_Firefox_-_NPAPI&os=Windows%208.1&browser_type=Gecko&browser_dist=Firefox&d=McAfee_Security_Scan_Plus_FireFox_Browser&dualoffer=false

where after "initializing" I download a file called

install_flashplayer16x32_mssd_aaa_aih

This is a little disconcerting since I am running 64 bit windows whereas the filename contains 32 but I see that there are many threads here reassuring us that the installer install both 32 and 64 bit flashplayer (I think that adobe should change the name of their installer!)

I click Ctrl plus J to show the Firefox downloads list and right clicking I open the containing folder where I now have several versions of the same, install_flashplayer16x32_mssd_aaa_aih, file.

I am then told that windows Smartscreen can not be reached now. (I tried to turned off Windows Smartscreen in Control Panel Security Action Centre but it is still showing this message). I click on Run Anyway and I am asked

Do you want to open this executable
and
Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer.

I then see a short but wide adobe window that says

Retrieving Install
It has a progress bar but the progress bar does not move, remaining at 0%.
Then I am told, with no participle or error number

Error has been encountered. Close this Window and Try Again.

When I close this Adobe window I am taken to

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/completion/aih/?exitcode=-1

where I am told

Adobe Flash Player could not be installed.

You can troubleshoot your installation with the following resources:

The troubleshooting does not seem to be much help

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

Flashplayer is not installed
It is not in the list of plugins (of course) (This gives me an idea to attempt to get flashplayer from Mozilla)

I have yet to try shutting all browser windows but this does not seem to be required for Firefox. I will do that soon, once I have posted this thread.

1) Wrong Language?

I can see from the left hand panel that I am being offered

Windows 64-bit , English, Firefox

This is a little disconcerting since my computer is Japanese (though I myself am not). I have tried clicking on

Need Flash Player for a different computer?

Where I am offered a choice of operating systems and browsers (I choose  8 and Firefox) but not a choice of language.

However, I have approached the installation from the Japanese installation site which contains a /jp/ in the URL
(When I attempt to paste the URL here it is converted to a page title -- grr -- so I can not paste the URL. Hold on, removing the http - yes)

//get.adobe.com/jp/flashplayer/?no_ab=1

(In fact I was very upset that I could only get the Japanese site since Adobe senses where I am and served the site in Japanese,
despite the fact that my first language is English and offers no way to change the language)

But the file that is downloaded appears to be the same (same file name)

2) Connection problem?
The fact that both Windows SmartScreen "cannot be reached" and the Adobe Progress bar do not seem to be able to connect

suggests to me that I may have some sort of connection problem. My browser connects but other programs (Smartscreen and the installer) appear to be having problems. Is there a way of downloading the full 18MB file as opposed to the installer (which is only about 0.7MB)?

Aha. I clicked on the bar graph showing how strong my connection is (strong, all four bars) and opened troubleshooting.
I was then told

Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (Web proxy) is not responding.

At my workplace I sometimes have to set a web proxy.

At my current location I have clicked on both "No Proxy" (at which setting I had most of the problems above)
and now I am trying "Automatically detect proxy settings for this network" where I get the troubleshooting error.

I have set network connection to "No Proxy" but i still get the

Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (Web proxy) is not responding.

Message.

Selecting "Use system settings" was even worse and prevented my accessing the internet.

I downloaded and used the fixit from this Microsoft page
How to reset your Internet Explorer proxy settings.

And after running the fixit my Internet Connection troubleshooting told me that my internet connection is okay, and I was able to install Flashplayer.

It seems that my workplace proxy settings where not being forgotten, or changed (to No Proxy) via the Firefox internet connection settings. It is as if Windows 8 does not give Firefox the authority to change anything but its own internet connectivity rather than allowing it to change system proxy settings so other programs (such as Flashplayer installer and Windows Smartscreen) can not access the internet even after changing proxy settings in Firefox. Hence I guess that there are ways of changing proxy settings via the Control Panel, or Internet Explorer.

I hope that this is of some help to someone

Tim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2014 Dec 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Tim but this did not work for me and firefox... sigh another failed day attempting to fix this issue. Day 9...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am right about the new "feature" of Windows 8, restricting the ability of Firefox to change anything but its own internet connectivity (and not that of the Flashplayer installer, which connects to the web, for instance) then I would have a look at any other internet settings that you may have from Internet Explorer's settings screen, or the internet settings screen somewhere in the control panel. My Firefox internet settings were being ignored from the point of view of the Flashplayer installer.

Also another way forward might be to install an application that may allow you to view videos in html5 instead
YouTube ALL HTML5 :: Add-ons for Firefox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for Try tim. I tried to find what you  suggested and could not find anything that made a difference still a blank box on install....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines