• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble Installing Flash Player 16 on Mac OS X 10.8.5? Success!

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2014 Dec 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried for hours to install Flash Player 16 on Mac OS X 10.5 using the suggestions I found. The automatic update function was useless. I never got past the retrieval stage; nothing downloaded for me. I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Flash Player with NO LUCK. Here is how I eventually was able to get Flash Player 16 to install:

1]  I DID delete the old flash player - NO idea if this is necessary, since my next step was replacing the mach_kernel file.

2]  I downloaded Pacifist ($20 shareware - but might work on trial basis). I used Pacifist to search and identify the mach_kernel file from an original Mountain Lion installation disk (should also work fine for an install image). I then instructed Pacifist to install the original mach kernel file on my system through the replace function. I rebooted the system so the New "old" mach_kernel file was now the operational Unix foundation for the computer.

3]  Still no luck using the downloaded dmg install files from Adobe. I then went to the troubleshooting Adobe Systems file and chose the last option which I believe was install directly:  Flash Player for Firefox and Safari- NPAPI.  This WORKED and I duplicated it on another machiine.  Here is the link: 

Installation problems | Flash Player | Mac

Suggestion: As a first step, delete the old flash player, reboot and then try STEP 3 and avoid the downloaded DMG Adobe files. I suspect this may work but if it doesn't then go through these 3 steps...at least for Mountain Lion. I'd be interested in knowing whether Mavericks users have success with this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2014 Dec 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Step 1 alone  Deleting and trying to reinstall flash player DID NOT WORK FOR ME.  Nothing retrieved past the dmg installer. Also reboot when you are done with the steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines