• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What type of breadcrumbs are used by RH11, are they location or path-based?

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2014 Dec 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are finding that sometimes "breadcrumbs" used in our RH11 help project do not show the entire path we took to get to the current topic. I am guessing RH11 uses "location-based" not "path-based" breadcrumbs. This would mean in RH11 help projects, we would only see where the current topic is stored in a TOC or project hierarchy, not a trail of steps taken to arrive at a particular topic or page.  Am I correct in this assumption?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it’s location-based, not history-based.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one identify to RH11 whether to use the TOC or project files/folder hierarchy? Adobe RH11 help stated the breadcrumbs could be tied to the project files OR to the TOC chosen to display in the WebHelp SSL.

I am thinking I can make the location-based breadcrumbs simulate path-based navigation by how I manipulate folders in the project or chapters in the TOC. Am I right?

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI there

As mentioned by Jeff, the breadcrumbs in RoboHelp are totally based on the TOC hierarchy and not history.

I do suppose if you structured things such that a user might always follow a specific path to get to a topic, you could structure the TOC so that it appears similar.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don’t think it would be possible – you’d have to store all the pages the user looked at before arriving at a specific page & then figure out how to show that to them. Just doesn’t work that way – every user could take a different path to “find” or “arrive” at a topic. Why the interest? Are you trying to track page views to see how your users are ending up on certain topics? If so, you’d be more interested in getting RH Server and hosting your WebHelp on it to do the tracking for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp