Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking to External Files

Sep 11, 2007 Sep 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RoboHelp HTML 6, I can not seem to create a successful link to an external document in my baggage folder. Creating the hyperlink is easy. It works when I preview the file. But when I compile the project and view the results, the links do not open. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi o2b42itus. Have you added the external file to your baggage folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the file is in baggage, I wouldn't call it "external." What type of document are you trying to open? Do you want it to open in its own application (e.g. Word, Acrobat?) or in the help viewer pane? What calling method are you currently using?

Sorry, more questions than answers...

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

You might be seeing a side effect of the new "Mark of the Web" option provided in the WebHelp generation dialogs.

Try expanding your Single Source Layouts pseudo folder and double-clicking your layout. DE-select the "Mark of the Web" setting, generate the WebHelp and see if the links magickally begin behaving.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2007 Sep 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Rick (Captiv8r), your suggestion seems to be correct and de-selecting the "Mark of the Web" setting does seem to make my links work now, however, I can't really publish without this option selected as it returns the IE blocking "feature", which is really unacceptable.

Also, I've noted that this is only a problem in IE. Firefox opens the links when I use the "Mark of the Web" setting just fine.

Any other options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2007 Sep 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you publishing to? The blocking only occurs on a local drive.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2007 Sep 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm publishing to a local drive, but many customers will end up loading the help onto their local drives as well, so the problem is indicative of what will happen in the field...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebHelp with MOW should run fine locally and the links should work. Does for me in IE and Firefox. Is the problem all links or perhaps links to PDF files?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have confirmed that it is only a problem on the local drive in IE (version 6) (they open fine from a remote location), but, as mentioned in my previous post, this unfortunately doesn't solve my problem for most customers.

The problem files are .wav and .xls files both.

BTW thanks for the quick responses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi again all

Okay, many of you here know I'm a wizard that walks in two different realms that often are used together. What I mean by this, is that in addition to being a Certified Adobe RoboHelp instructor and Adobe Community Expert for RoboHelp, I'm also a Certified Adobe Captivate instructor and Adobe Community Expert for Captivate.

I was pondering if there might be a way past this whole "Mark of the beas... er, Mark of the Web thing. I do believe I've stumbled across a possible solution. However, it will require having access to either Flash, Swish, Captivate or other application that is capable of creating a Flash .SWF output. Here's the deal, I created a little Flash movie that simply opens a desired .PDF file. I know we often see issues with Captivate when folks do this, so I often resort to the companion application called "MenuBuilder". Because the link action is occurring from a Flash element inside the web page, it seems to work just dandy! If anyone wants my little test project to see for themselves, just holler and I'll zip it up and make it available to you for download. You will need to send me a private E-Mail (rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com).

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp