• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop not recognizing Pen Pressure

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop CS6 64-bit with a Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet.  I've already tried fixing/resetting the tablet numerous times, and I've come to the conclusion that the problem is with Photoshop, not the tablet.  Important points of my problem

1. Whenever I completely reset my computer, photoshop recognizes the tablet and uses it correctly. The problem arises after I close my laptop or unplug the tablet.  When I try to use it again, it gives the triangle warning box that says pen sensitivity is not available without a pressure-sensitive tablet.

2. The tablet with Pen Pressure works in Manga Studio 100% of the time.  This is why I'm posting this in the Adobe Forums, not Wacom.

I've tried several fixes, I must have reinstalled different versions of my Tablet Driver 10 times at least, it always comes back to this same problem.  No matter what I do, it works for awhile, but when I put my laptop to sleep or unplug the tablet, photoshop no longer recognizes it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if Wacom has updated drivers.  If that doesn't solve it, contact Wacom and work with them to figure out the issue on your system/drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The updated drivers don't change anything, and like I mentioned, the tablet is recognized in other programs, so it shouldnt be a driver problem.  It's photoshop specific

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has to be a driver problem from your description.  Photoshop detects the availability of pressure based on the input from the driver.  You need to talk to Wacom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you seeing a tapered line in the Brush panel preview?   If not, then pen pressure won't do anything.  Easiest way to test is to select one of the brushes that install with the Wacom drivers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Are you seeing a tapered line in the Brush panel preview?   If not, then pen pressure won't do anything.  Easiest way to test is to select one of the brushes that install with the Wacom drivers. 

Just noticed this.  None of my brushes are showing a tapered line.  This started with latest version of photoshop.  Im using an XP pEn Artist 22.  Pressure works fine in testing. Works fine in Illustrator.  The pressure is working, just not in Photoshop.  Why is pen pressure in Photoshop such a nightmare?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutterfish  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

Just noticed this.  None of my brushes are showing a tapered line.  This started with latest version of photoshop.  Im using an XP pEn Artist 22.  Pressure works fine in testing. Works fine in Illustrator.  The pressure is working, just not in Photoshop.  Why is pen pressure in Photoshop such a nightmare?

The problem with the non-Wacom tablets is that none of us know how the drivers work, so I tend to redirect those users to large user groups of their hardware.  Amazon is good — there are 141 user reviews of your tablet on Amazon as I type this, and they all get emailed if you ask a question.  Deviant Art is another good source because of the very high membership.  Did you know that Deviant Art is one of the top 40 earning websites in the world, with an annual revenue of $10 million?

Forum: XP-PEN 22HD Tablet? | DeviantArt

So all we can do is ask what API your tablet uses?  I have gained the feeling that Windows Ink is working better with Windows 10 since CC 2018, but prior to that, WinTab seemed to be the better choice.  But with non Wacom tablets, I just don't know how you would implement that.  The link on the forum overview page looks to be helpful to all tablet users (Windows 8.1 and 10 have the same functionality regards tablets).  It tells you how to construct the text file and where it should be located.

Tablet support for Photoshop on Windows 8

If you fix your issue, please come back and tell us about it so we can help other folk going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor,

Thanks for your response.

I got it working by creating the PSUserConfig file. Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES

My technical knowledge of drivers is severely limited but logic tells me that It's clear that Photoshop is at least partly

the problem as it's the only application that requires a "hack" to function properly.

The question of why PS is the only Adobe app that consistently suffers this issue seems like one that's hardly worth asking.

Thanks again for your response and suggestions.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the pen nib.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cslynch wrote:

Try changing the pen nib.

Somebody please ban this joker!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ban? For updating a thread with a solution that worked for me? I responded to a couple of these threads to see whether changing the nib worked for anyone else. It was suggested in another thread (on another board) that losing pressure sensitivity was a symptom of an old nib. I changed mine and photoshop started working again.

This is a pervasive issue that has plagued me through multiple Wacom tablets and multiple versions of Photoshop. Frankly, the only reason I joined this forum was to let people know that changing my pen nib appears to have fixed the problem. With that said, I haven't tested for any length of time. The instant I changed the nib it worked. But it may be a coincidence.

So ban away I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is amazing. I had the same issue and pulling my pen nib out and putting it back in totally fixed the issue. I couldn't believe it. You're a hero... and I definitely scoffed at your suggestion at first...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh...I just did it and it worked!! Pull your pen nib out and push it back in...worked instantly for me!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny thing is I feel for this and i'm a gameing art student at uni hahah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the pen nib worked for me.   Somebody please ban the name-calling old guy who doesn't understand tech wears out when it's actually being used. (how do such negative types of people become moderators that are supposed to support a community? )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip.  I also had the same problem in Photoshop CC and was tearing my hair out trying to figure it out.  Changing the pen nib worked instantly for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and couldn't figure it out. Restarted my computer, restarted Photoshop. Then I saw the "change your pen nib" comment, and instead decided to just take my pen nib out and put it back in. It worked instantly. Try that first. No joke, and I'm surprised it was that, I wouldn't have ever guessed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is hilarious. A million helpful videos and settings and windows.ink &c &c.
I took the nib out and put it back in. Bingo. *sigh* LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me. Cheers mate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! I've tried everything including rewrite PSUserConfig file. All failed and then I saw your post. I changed a new nib and it fixed my problem in PS CC 2020 immediately!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2014 Apr 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to mention that I was having the same problem in CC, and changing my pen nib worked instantly. Sounds crazy, but it's still a totally valid solution. It's a good time to remember to update your drivers, though.

Sorry to post in something so old, but hopefully some people will get a use out of it if they're looking for a solution in CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2015 Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to this, changing the nib worked for me for some reason, but then changing back to the old nib that didn't work originally still worked!

Following this I needed to check shape dynamics and transfer brush settings because I'd been messing about with these while trying to get pressure sensitivity to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2015 Feb 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed, just pull the nib out and put it back in, it works!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that does not work open photoshop and open brush preferences which you can do by pressing F5 and going under brushes make sure that under shape dynamics that control is set to pen pressure I have had the problem where that setting turns to off after unplugging the tablet or putting my laptop to sleep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines