• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to download chrome adobe flash player plug-in

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2015 Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC OS is Windows 8.1, 64-bit and I am using Google Chrome Version 39.0.2171.95 m.

Looking at the plug-ins, I have the PPAPI installed by it says out-of-process, and I don't have a NPAPI plug-in of Adobe Flash Player. So I tried to download the plug-in and it can't even download to my computer, what's wrong? It has been causing great trouble when I am browsing on the internet and trying to work. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

hello erz206

Google is depracating NPAPI plugins on Chrome.  You can get more information on their strategy here NPAPI deprecation: developer guide - The Chromium Projects.

The PPAPI plugin has been the default plugin on Chrome for quite some time now, even though both NPAPI and PPAPI plugin are installed and enabled, Chrome defaults to the PPAPI plugin.

I am not able to reproduce the behaviour you describe using Windows 7 with Chrome 39.0.2171.95 (latest Chrome for Windows).  I have installed the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2015 Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Google embeds the PPAPI version of Flash Player on Chrome and uses the PPAPI version by default.  There is no need to install the NPAPI version on Google Chrome. This version is also updated automatically by Google, either via a full Chrome update or component update, whenever a new version of Flash Player is released.  There is no need to manually install/update Flash Player PPAPI on Chrome.  If you want to install the NPAPI version you can use one of the following two options:

1. Option 1:
    1. Go to Adobe - Install a different version of Adobe Flash Player
    2. In Step 1 select 'Windows 8/Windows Server 2012'
    3. In step 2 select 'Flash Player for Firefox - NPAPI'
    4. Click 'Download Now' button to download the installer
    5. Note the 'Download to' location.
    6. After download completes, go to the location where the installer was saved to, double-click to launch and follow the prompts to install.
      • this is the shim installer than then downloads/installs Flash Player silently in the background
  2. Option 2:
    1. Go to Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows
    2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and download the NPAPI installer from the 'Still having problems' section
    3. After download completes, go to the location where the installer was saved to, double-click to launch and follow the prompts to install.
      • this is the full flash player installer, not the shim installer from option 1.

After installing the NPAPI version you will need to configure Chrome to use the NPAPI version, instead of the PPAPI version by going to Chrome://plugins and disabling the PPAPI version.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to these terms but I believe that PPAPI Flash is Chrome's Pepper Flash and NPPAPI Flash is the version installed from Adobe's site.

If so, the NPAPI version no longer seems to work on Windows for Chrome 39 as of Flash version 16. I just updated my Flash Player version from Adobe's site and now this version is disabled and only the PPAPI version is available. The NPAPI version still works on Chrome 39 on Mac.

Is this intentional?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello erz206

Google is depracating NPAPI plugins on Chrome.  You can get more information on their strategy here NPAPI deprecation: developer guide - The Chromium Projects.

The PPAPI plugin has been the default plugin on Chrome for quite some time now, even though both NPAPI and PPAPI plugin are installed and enabled, Chrome defaults to the PPAPI plugin.

I am not able to reproduce the behaviour you describe using Windows 7 with Chrome 39.0.2171.95 (latest Chrome for Windows).  I have installed the NPAPI plugin, version 16, and it still shows enabled on my chrome://plugins list, however, the PPAPI is the plugin used by default, unless I disable it.  Here is a screenshot of the installed Flash Player plugins on my system:

sshot-1.jpg

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I only have the first version of the plugin after updating Flash, even though I had both versions prior to the update and the same thing happened with my coworker. I have Windows 7 and I believe she is using Windows 8 or 8.1.

Thanks for the link on NPAPI deprecation. It's a shame that support for the NPAPI version is going away. I do technical support for a Flash game site and we are often able to resolve lag and keyboard input issues by having people disable the PPAPI version and use NPAPI instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moving away from NPAPI is ultimately a good thing for end-users.  While there is some overhead, we want to look at performance problems, especially where they're affecting reasonably modern machines.

If you have consistently reproducible cases of performance problems with clear steps to reproduce, please file bugs over at http://bugbase.adobe.com.  If you shoot me a PM with the numbers, I'll make sure they get looked at.

I'd also encourage you to use Adobe Scout to profile problematic games to see if there are easy changes you can make to the game(s) to avoid the performance bottlenecks you're encountering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines