• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboKnights: IS there a foolproof format for Help hosted in a website?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2015 Jan 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once open a time, I generated WebHelp, uploaded it to our company site, dubbed it a noble Knowledgebase, and there it sat, accessible to all. It was the Best Beloved of people desirous of viewing Help via Google Translate.

And so, the years passed, and the poor WebHelp Knowledgebase was forgotten and fell into disuse. Even the Fairy DocMomma (that would be me) ignored it.

It was rediscovered by an intrepid explorer. And it was decreed that the Fairy DocMamma would wave her magic wand and update Knowledgebase in renewed glory....

THUNK!!! You hear that?!!! That is the sound of the Fairy DocMomma's headdesk: THUNK THUNNK!!!

So, RoboKnights--what do you recommend?

What is the best, most foolproof method and format for putting Help on the Web?

What dragons might rear up and bite the DocMomma in areas not mentioned in publick support forums...?

Using RoboHelp 10, updated + patched.

I actually generated an AIR output, and had it uploaded...just AIR, not the AIR for browser...and it seems to be OK. I did not yet try to generate it with the inter-related projects that I traditionally include with my .chm for the desktop application. I should note that this is a big project. about 500 topics in the main project, at least that many in the sub-projects, lots of graphics.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my site I make the point that Adobe have not updated AIR (installed or browser based) for several versions of RoboHelp. It's a format that didn't really take off so I wouldn't recommend that anyone starts to use it now.

Webhelp is really the only format for server based help. That later your version of Rh, the better the browser support but Rh10 should be OK.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings, thou DocMomma

Curiosity is gripping thee. Aside from thy mold that thou gazes upon thy crusty words of wisdom, hast thou discovered other petulance yet unsolved by a good oiling? Sentence fragments? Knowledge shards? Perchance, a crumbling of dusty framing?

I bid you a good day... RoboWizard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter! I will be looking at WebHelp, then.

And Greetings to the RoboWizard 🙂

Mostly, WebHelp just would not load. Not at all in Chrome, and in IE11, navigating to another file caused the TOC to disappear.  I downloaded whproxy, recompiled, and then was able to produce a working AIR file.

I will be trying again with WebHelp.

Should I update to RH11? Or stick with RH10, if my deliverable is WebHelp?

Again--thanks for your help--you guys are The Best 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check www.wvanweelden.eu where Willam lists all the patches for Rh including some of his own which may help in this instance.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, if you want to be a really cool & trendy Fairy DocMomma, you should be playing with the HTML5 outputs that RH can generate ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking of HTML5. Is anyone here doing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know of a few companies using HTML5 (either Multiscreen or Responsive). The gist is that they only support modern browsers (read IE9+). Otherwise it's either WebHelp or CHM with the odd FlashHelp here and there. The HTML5 will work if you don't have to support IE8 or earlier.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp