• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS5 Project & Sequence Settings

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be shooting with a Sony NEX-VG10 set at a Record Mode of FH 17M (which I have no clue what it is)

The camera records 1920 x 1080 Full HD videos (I don't know if its 1920x1080i or p)  (The user guide that came with the camara doesn't explain much of anything)

The memory card that I will use to record the clips is a 32GB SDHC

I want to know the settings that I should choose to edit the clips in Premiere Pro CS5.

1)  Project Settings asks me to select between DV and HDV.  Is HDV the right one?

2)  Sequence Settings is getting me more confused than I am already:

In previous projects (with a different camera) I have chosen DV NTSC as I had set the Project as DV but also because of the NTSC

In the Sequence Settings if I go along with HDV it doesn't give me the NTSC option but it lists several 1080i and 1080p options.

Which one should I choose? 

Finally, when I am all done I will burn an HD DVD with Encore.

I am assuming that using the same edited video I could also burn an SD DVD: is that possible?

The whole project will probably turn a 45 min. video.

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After importing your clips into the project by means of the Media Browser, select one clip, right click and select 'New Sequence form Clip'. That will create the proper sequence if you don't know what you have shot.

DV and HDV are not correct. HD DVD does not exist, it is either DVD which is SD or BRD, which is HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever you create a new Project, Pr first asks you to choose the path for your project, and to give it a name.  Enter that info.  Then it asks you to select a sequence setting.  Hit cancel.  Then you'll get a fresh project with no sequences.  Import your footage, and do as Harm suggested: New Sequence from Clip.  That takes most of the guesswork out of which sequence setting to use.

However, there are some bugs in Pr that will choose the wrong format with certain footage types.  At least, this is true for Mac CS5.5.  So, it doesn't hurt to check your Sequence Settings after you've done the Create New Sequence from Clip.

Notwithstanding that... If you ever want to know whether your 29.97 footage is interlaced, there are a few methods to determine it.  One is to make a sequence with a frame rate of 59.94.  Put a "29.97" clip with some action in it.  Step through your clip one frame at a time (use left or right arrow key).  If the footage changes on every step, your footage is interlaced.  If it changes every other step, it's progressive. 

Another way is to view your footage in the Source tab, and turn on Display Both Fields.  Look for some action in your video.  If you see a comb-filter look (jagged venetion blinds would be one way to describe it), then your footage is interlaced.

As Harm mentioned there is no HD DVD.  It's Blu-Ray for HD video, which you can make, and you can also make a SD DVD, in Encore from the same Sequence in Pr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.

--------------------------------------------------------

When creating a new project I have to specify location, name, etc... PLUS I also have to indicate the capture format i.e. DV format or HDV.

Considering what I explained above I wanted to know which of the two is the one I have to choose.

-------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, comes the Sequence Settings where there are a bunch of available presets listed such AVCHD, DV-24P, DV-NTSC, DV-PAL and so on... also HDV.... and within each one there are further options for example under HDV:  1080i 25, 1080i 30, 1080p etc....

Which one is the one I should choose?

If understand correctly you are suggesting that I forget this screen and just add my clips and create New Sequence from Clip.  This you say will automatically attach to it the proper preset.  Pardon my ignorance but I can't figure out how it will work.  Will I have a new sequence for each clip?  And if this is the way to do it why is the program asking me to select the preset?

As you indicate there is a bug in the program and there is the possibility that it will choose the wrong format.

Obviously I wouldn't want to take a chance so I rather select the appropriate preset for my project.

And if you can help me, I will appreciate it.

------------------------------------------------------

Finally, when I mentioned I will burn an HD DVD I meant: a High Definition  DVD and also was considering burning a Standard Definition  DVD and was asking if it would be possible.

Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

videope wrote:

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.

--------------------------------------------------------

When creating a new project I have to specify location, name, etc... PLUS I also have to indicate the capture format

No, you don't.  You can hit cancel.  If you've shot on media cards, you have no need to Capture.

Secondly, comes the Sequence Settings where there are a bunch of available presets listed such AVCHD, DV-24P, DV-NTSC, DV-PAL and so on... also HDV.... and within each one there are further options for example under HDV:  1080i 25, 1080i 30, 1080p etc....

Which one is the one I should choose?

That's already been explained in this thread.  And it's also covered thoroughly in the Pr Help documentation.

If understand correctly you are suggesting that I forget this screen and just add my clips and create New Sequence from Clip.  This you say will automatically attach to it the proper preset.  Pardon my ignorance but I can't figure out how it will work.  Will I have a new sequence for each clip?

Right.  Have you even tried it yet?  You can select a bunch of clips, and drag them to the New Sequence icon also.  They'll all be added to a new Sequence based on the source clip's settings.

Finally, when I mentioned I will burn an HD DVD I meant: a High Definition  DVD and also was considering burning a Standard Definition  DVD and was asking if it would be possible.

You're using incorrect terminology.  There is no HD DVD.  There is DVD, and there is Blu-Ray.  The different formats have different names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So after reviewing this/these post(s)  I am having a similar issue and am a bit confused.  Please forgive me.  So, I have filmed with the Canon XHA1 cameras.  Imported my video (of which I am sure I did wrong because it shows no XHa1 in my Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, so I picked HD, 1080p, yada yada yada....  Anyways, I get the whole ventitian blind look when viewing the results.  So now I have went back and tried to do what was said here and have it create new sequence from clip.  But when I right click (double finger click as I am a MAC user), that is not an option.  When I drag and drop clips to "New Item" icon, settings seem the same.  Again, I apologize for my ignorance and lack of knowledge here and greatly appreciate any advise.  Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not have to set DV or HDV that is for tape based camera's yours is flash.

Your camera is avchd which means you choose an avchd preset.

FH 17 mbits means you recorded at 1920x1080 60i at 17 mega bit per second. (that information is in the manual).

So your preset should be

avchd 60i non square.png

If you have trouble finding a preset you can do this:

new item icon.png

Yes you can burn HD to dvd, but i would not go there as a novice to Premiere. Besides 45 minutes is not going to fit on a SL DVD probably neither on a DL.

As said before make your footage either go to a regular dvd or BluRay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens wrote:

Yes you can burn HD to dvd, but i would not go there as a novice to Premiere.

I've heard that you can do this, but I don't know anybody who's been successful at it.  Maybe you do.

The challenge is to get an HD bit rate to work on a DVD.  I believe around 11Mb/s is the theoretical maximum.  Most people I know report frame-dropping at 8 or 9 Mb/s.  Since a lot of low-end HD is around the 35 Mb/s range, you'd have to "dumb it down" so much to play on a DVD that it would hardly qualify as "HD" any longer, if that term is to have any real meaning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i have burned HD (BR)  to dvd and successfully. I do this when i have very a short movie, and  just for me. I would not do this for others. Because it can be unreliable.

You make an iso of the BR in Encore and burn this to disk with e.g. Nero.

You can play this DVD disk only in a BD player not on a regular DVD-player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for all the time you are spending with me.  And, please let me recap what's in my mind right now because I am getting deeper and deeper in the dark.

The CAPTURE FORMAT field in Premiere cannot be left blank.  It's either DV or HDV.  Am I to assume that in my case it doesn't matter how it's set?

NEX VG10 can record in 1 of 3 modes one of which is FX 24M.  In this mode one cannot create an AVCHD disc.  Consequently the AVCHD sequence wouldn't work (or will it?).  I know... I said I would be recording on FH but I bring this up because I want to clear my mind and understand the difference between the various sequence settings.

For example, if I would be recording on FX and couldn't use AVCHD setting, what would be the best alternative?  Is there, somewhere, an explanation online that I could read?  I honestly, don't want you to waste any more of your time on this but would like to read about it just so I know.

Ann, you made a good point that a .45 min video wouldn't fit on a DVD.  I had considered that and then I forgot about it.  My "little" video will then have to be split on Part One and Part Two... LOL!!  

By the way, I contacted Sony and I have now printed the missing 95-page manual.

There I found that the camera records on AVCHD high definition format either 1080i (remember I said I didn't know?) or 720p and is compatible with 60i and 50i.  Also it uses MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 to compress the data.

You probably knew all that already but I thought I mention it so you know I am trying really hard to comprehend all this and impress you! 🙂

Thanks again.

PS The other Record Mode for the camera is HQ 9M 1440x1080.  If you were me which one would you choose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not matter if its DV or HDV does not apply.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/NEXVG10_EN_ES_FR.pdf

A DVD recorded with high definition image quality (HD) is called an “AVCHD disc” in the sony manual.

You cannot make a AVCHD disk with Premiere or Encore.

If I were you I would film in max quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines