• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac OS X 10.9.2, ADE 3.0. ADE keeps closing unexpectedly.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mavericks, and I had Adobe Digital Editions 2.0. I bought a .epub from the Kobo store (UK), downloaded the URLLink.acsm file, double-clicked it. ADE opened, downloaded the book - and quit. The application closed, there was a pop-up asking if I'd like to report to Apple that the program quit unexpectedly:

Adobe Digital Editions quit unexpectedly.

Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

Ignore / Report... / Reopen

I tried reopening by double-clicking the application icon in the Applications folder, and it opened and then immediately closed. Same error message. Same when I click Reopen on the error pop-up.

I then looked to see if there was a newer version of ADE. There was; 3.0. I deleted the old 2.0 version and then installed 3.0.

I double-clicked the new icon, but it opened and then immediately closed itself again. I tried downloading a new book (one of the ADE sample books), and double-clicked the new URLLink.acsm, but the application opened and then immediately closed; it didn't even get as far as downloading the book.

I am mystified. What do I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar issues and I've been trying things for three days.  Digital Editions (old version) worked fine on my old Mac, but new mac (Version 10.9.5) and new ADE (Version 4.0) kept crashing whenever I tried to download a book from the B.C. library.  Finally figured out a solution.  Here's what worked for me.

1. Delete all digital edition files (use "Find" to trash all files and then empty trash).

2. Download Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 (just google this and you'll find the download)

3. Open ADE Version 3.0 (above).

4.  Deauthorize the computer (on a mac - CMD, Shift, D).  You'll get a prompt asking if you want to deauthorize the computer.  Click yes.

5.  Authorize computer (under Help window when ADE is open).

6.  Go ahead and download book from library (or wherever).

Mine seems to be working fine now.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It is unfortunate that ADE4 kept crashing for you.

It is happening because you got the crash in ADE and when you launch ADE (by double clicking on it). ADE is trying to open the same book and hence getting crashed again and again.

We will address this issue as well in our coming releases.

As a workaround to resolve this, you can try to open any epub file directly by right-click on the file and open-with ADE option.

ADE should be able to open the book correctly.

I will strongly recommend you to use ADE4 as it comes up some good features and support for epub3 format.

I hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried chiragjuneja's workaround, but ADE kept crashing.  It opens the Getting Started Guide (welcome.pub) that came with ADE, but not the two documents downloaded from the Guilford website (one is a sample document, the other is the one purchased).  I get the same error message as Lottiotta.  I am reluctant to adopt Violet's workaround, but will try it if nothing shows up here in the next few days.

I have ADE4.0 and OS X Yosemite (10.10.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines