• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat XI won't recognize scanner

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2013 Nov 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Acrobat XI replacing Acrobat 9 and the program won't recognize my scanner.

Setup: Windows 7 x64, Canon MG6120

All other programs, to include Photoshop, work fine with the scanner. The scanner works in other user profiles (for Acrobat XI) on the computer, but not in my main profile. The scanner is on the list of devices for Acrobat XI, but when asked to scan, the program cannot find the scanner. If I attempt a failed scan, on logout from the user profile I get an error associated with LogTransport2.exe. This error only occurs when Acrobat XI attempts a scan an fails.

I have tried deleting all local app data for Acrobat in the user profile, uninstalled and reinstalled the printer but nothing seems to work. I believe it is a configuration error in the specific user profile, but I cannot find out were the information is stored.

Thanks,

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2013 Nov 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem today too

I have Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.5.5 - it won't recognize my scanner

I've used both Acrobat 9.5.5 and my scanner (Brothers MFC-6490CW) running Windows 7 together for years without problems.  On Tues. Nov. 19, 2013  I used Acrobat to successfully scan from it. Starting yesterday Nov. 23, 2013 I get the Acrobat error message "Error while interacting with the scanner: the selected scanner was not found" and when I go to "Configure Presets" the only choice is "Please Select a Device" - no devices are listed. Today I tried reloading drivers, but that didn't help.

Nothing has changed on my computer except that I downloaded and installed Windows and Adobe updates from throughout the past month or so.

I suspect maybe one of the updates caused the problem, so I tried a system restore, but that didn't help.

So ... anyone have any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a disk drive search and noticed two things. First, the file that shows an error LogTransport2.exe is an Adobe file and is loaded with every Adobe application. It is not a "common or shared" file. Second, there are about 4 instances of LogTransport2.exe with different dates and different sizes depending on the Adobe application. Since I just switched over from the stand alone creative suite to the cloud, these should be current and clean installations. That may explain why photoshop can scan and Acrobat can't. I might switch in a different LogTransport2.exe file and see if it works. Let you know what I find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey what exactly is the error that you are getting related to LogTransport?

Thanks

Varinder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact error, which only occurs when I attempt to scan in Acrobat, is:

Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close application."

This error occurs on logout or shutdown for the profile.  The Adobe error is:

"Error while interacting with scanner: Selected scanner not found."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please try following troubleshooting tasks:

1. Update Acrobat to the latest version.

2. Install the latest scanner driver - To reinstall the driver, delete all files and folders that begin with Twain (for example, "Twain_32.dll") in the Windows  folder. Then, restart Windows, and then install the latest scanner driver.

3. Log in with a new account - If you've successfully scanned into Acrobat before, then your user account could be corrupted, causing problems when you scan. Create a new user account with administrative privileges, and then log in to Windows using the new account.

Thanks

Varinder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the saga of what I tried:

The error was: "Error while interacting with scanner: Selected scanner not found." This only occurred in Acrobat. The scanner works fine in Photoshop and Windows Scan and Fax. The scanner works fine in all other profiles. It is only my main user profile that had a problem. So, there is a file, or configuration item, in the user profile that is preventing only Acrobat from talking to the scanner.  Here is what I did next:

1. Disconnected the USB connection to the Canon MG6120. Removed Device on Control Panel. Uninstalled all drivers.

2. Uninstalled Acrobat.

3. Went into c:\ProgramData\Adobe and delected the directory for Acrobat

4. Delected all references to the Canon Scanner in same directory.

5. Went into c:\users\****\application data\&&&\adobe and deleted all directories for Acrobat (there were some old Acrobat 9.0 directories that I removed as well.

6. This was done in all \&&&\ profile directories: local, LocalLow, and Roaming.

7. Deleted all references to Canon scanner/printer in same directories

8. Ran CC Cleaner on the registry to remove all bad registry enteries.

9. Reinstalled Acrobat

10. Open Control Panel and Started Acrobat. Neither showed a printer or scanner device.

11. Reinstalled printer/scanner with latest drivers.

12. Tried running Acrobat XI as both a user (adminstrator but not with administrator privledges) and as an administrator.

Same problem, but new error message:

Scanner works for all applications but Acrobat XI. Works for Acrobat XI in all other profiles. New error message: "Adobe could not communicate with this device."

I can't figure out what in this profile is causing trouble. I will say this profile is my main user profile and contains past info from CS4 and CS5. I did have Acrobat 9.0 installed, but tried to remove information about it. That was a real pain, since some of the directories are install with the SYSTEM as owner. I had to take permission using the administrator account to delete the directories.

So, one program Acrobat XI, in one profile, will not communicate with the scanner. Every other program and every other profile works fine.

Let me know if you have a suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Varinder

Thanks, but that didn't work.

I tried installing my scanner's latest drivers. Didn't resolve the issue.

I completely deleted and removed my scanner and reinstalled & reconnected it. Didn't resolve the issue.

(my scanner is a Brothers MFC-6490CW multifunction device.  I can still print to it directly from Adobe, I just can't scan from it within Adobe. I can scan from it in all of my other applications that permit scanning)

I also tried updating my Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.5.5. I got the message "No updates available"

I also used the control panel tp repair Acrobat Standard 9.5.5. Didn't resolve the issue.

I can still scan from webpages directly from Adobe. And I can create various files, incl. .tif, then manually get Adobe to convert them to pdf's, so that's a workaround, but is slow and cumbersome to do so.

I can also create a very limited form of pdf using the software that somes with the scanner, but it is limited (I can't do edits, etc.)

I tried setting up a new system user profile.  Didn't resolve the issue.

When I use the windows control panel to investigate the "manage scan profiles" I get a dialog boxthat under Brother MFC-6490CW  "file type" gives 4 choices, "tif", "bmp, "jpg", and "bmp" - its set to default tif for documents

The only thing that changed between when I could last scanned through Adobe and now is I installed about 1.5 months worth of Windows, Office, and adobe updates.  I suspect one of them my be the culprit.  I tried a system restore to prior to installing the updates.  It alerted me that it could not successfully restore all files (but it did restore most of them).

Any other ideas?

Lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to clarify: 1.5 months = 1 1/2 months ... the decimal point is hard to see

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2013 Nov 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really think it is time for Adobe to step up and add something to this forum. I have spent a lot of time in the profile configuration, registry, and device information. I haven't found the problem yet. Based on my diagnositics, Acrobat XI does something that no other program, including other Adobe products such as Photoshop, does and it is causing the application problems communicating with the scanner. Someone from the Acrobat development team and the Photoshop development team need to walk through the device initialization procedures and find out what is different. That is the source of the problem.

As a general rule, you would expect two products from the same company to be able to communicate with the same device.

Since the application works in other profiles, it has to be profile specific. The only other contributing factor, is that the profile that it does not work in, is my primary user profile and contains a lot of trash from previous adobe installations going back to CS4 that hang around long after upgrade. I have attempted to remove all the items, but I may be missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2013 Dec 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  I've been using Acrobat XI & an HP Scanjet 5550c on this Win7 x64 for months & Acrobat suddently stopped seeing the scanner though I can scan with other apps and by selecting the scanner in 'Devices and Printers'. It doesn't make sense to blame the problem on a corrupt Windows user account when other apps work.  Either way, Adobe should come up with a repair tool that works & not leave us hanging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wierd ... following up on my posts above:

its began working again for the last 1 or 2 weeks!!

Dunno, it stopped working out of the blue last Oct. or Nov. when I hadn't changed any settings.

And it just now started working when I hadn't changed any settings.

I suspect it was a problem that originated from, and a fix that came from, either an Adobe update or a MS update.

Wierd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the solution that I placed in this form today in reply to another question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it! After reading all these replies and still no answer, was about ready to get angry. The Canon MG6220 worked with all my other apps, but not XI. So I went to the "Custom Scan" window and changed the option from "Hide Scanner's Native..." to "Show Scanner's...". Went back, and just said do a scan, and it worked. Will recreate some of my profiles (Black and White, etc. to get the contrast and brightness the way I like it. But XI now works with my Canon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this and still no help. I tried every possible setting before and nothing seem to work. I did a scan yesterday by logging into another account and saving the document in public. It is strange to see something so account and application specific.

Acrobat pro seems to be a different beast. The last few days I have been getting an update notice for 11.0.5. However, it is not coming from the Cloud App, it is coming directly from Adobe Update. The update fails on install. When I open Acrobat and check the info, it shows that version 11.0.5 is installed. In the Cloud app, it shows Acrobat pro is up to date.

Thanks for your info...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into your administrative account and see if Adobe Acrobat Pro will communicate with your scanner.

If Adobe Acrobat Pro will communicate with your scanner from the Administrator Account but will not communicate from any other user account.  Log in to the account you prefer and perform the following.   Adobe says it is not

a bug in Adobe Acrobat Pro, but a Microsoft  user profile problem.  I disagree because all my programs work except for Adobe Acrobat Pro.

1.  Make sure that you have a password for your administrative user account.

2.  Elevate and display The Command Prompt as follows:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right Click on Command Prompt > Right Click on Run as administrator>

Agree to let program make changes to computer > The command prompt will be open.

The command prompt will display something like; C:\windows\system32

3.  Now it's time to run Acrobat Pro as an Administrator.  You may have to adjust the following statement to get the correct path to acrobat.exe. Edit the command prompt.  Space once after system32 and paste the following and hit enter. 

runas/user:administrator "c:\program files (x86)\adobe\acrobat 9.0\acrobat\acrobat.exe"

(do not space after 9.0)

4. Enter the administrator password when asked and hit enter.

5.  The program should start. 

You may wonder why you didn't just right click on the Acrobat icon on your desktop and run as administrator. The reason is because it doesn't work and this does.  I have tested this on Windows 7 Acrobat 9.0 Pro.  It's a pain to go through the steps everytime you open Acrobat Pro, but Adobe won't fix this problem.  I loaded a trial version of 11.0 and they still haven't fixed the problem so we will just have to use work arounds.  I'm not going to hand them another $199 when they refuse to fix the problem that has not been fixed in at least three versions.  Another solution is to create a new administrative type user account and move all your data to the new account.  No Thank you.  Adobe is not on my good list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About a month after my posts I ran normal updates from Adobe (and perhaps MS?) and voila! the problem magically disappeared without me doing anything.

I don't know if the others are still having problems though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I had some other problems which led to me rebuilding my Profile in Windows. Of course, this solved the problem and I am sure Adobe will say "See we told you it was the Windows profile." However, what they don't say is how the application, which fails to clean up previous installs and upgrades, probably led to the profile corruption.

Thanks for all your help, of all the Adobe products in the Creative Cloud (formerly CS), Acrobat seems to have the most problems and be the most tempermental. Back in the early versions of Acrobat 8, they were still inappropriately requiring admin rights for some basic profile setup. This caused a world of hurt at work which IT locked down for the average user. Luckily, I have always talked IT into giving me local admin rights so I can keep from calling the help desk.  As your fix implies, Acrobat still requires admin rights in the strangest places.

Thanks again, I am getting fairly proficient at rebuilding profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2014 Apr 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have been looking for help and so far all suggestions have lead me nowhere.  i have adobe acrobat 9 standard and a hp officejet 6500a plus.  i've already uninstalled both adobe and hp respectively.  i have already tried installing/ looking for updated patches, etc.  i'm a novice so i don't know if that's why i can't do it or not.  help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2014 Apr 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear jhunketal,

Did you try my suggestion above?  Do you need instructions on how to log on as an administrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2014 Jun 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your suggestion as to how to log on as an admin to no avail. I have never used an admin password on this computer, and so when I asked for one, I simply hit "enter" and it always worked. When I try that with the instructions above, it tells me I can't.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I am working with a brand new HP Photosmart. My former one was getting some mileage on it, and so I upgraded when this issue hit. (It was working fine until a few days ago, then scanning became a series of frustrations many detailed above.)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joesuttle, bless you.  I followed your steps and avoided days of hair pulling.  My new scanner is working just fine now.  THANKS!

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! 

Acrobat 9 Pro.  Just bought a MFC 8910DW.  Getting all the same errors.  Appreciate the post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone besides myself noticed a connection to having a working internet connection? I have the same problem, which started about November 2013. Is it a coincidence that I received a message from Adobe in October 2013 that I needed to change my password because they had noticed an attempt to gain access to my account? At the time, the message indicated "We recently discovered that an attacker illegally entered our network and may have obtained access to your Adobe ID and encrypted password. We currently have no indication that there has been unauthorized activity on your account. "     Maybe the "unnoticed" activity was to change something to gather information via your scanning being passed on to another account?     

Here's what I have noticed only recently: whenever my internet connection goes down or is interrupted (a frequent problem with my AT&T broadband) my Acrobat Pro 9.5.5 gives the message: "Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly setup, and connected with no errors indicated. For detailed inforation, see Solving Problems in the User's Guide." This is always followed by: "Error while interracting with the scanner. the selected scanner was not found."

To test this theory, I have successfully used the scanner and before allowing a second pass, unplugged my internet connection. (I've tried this several times) If I unplug after a scan has started (mid-scan) it locks up Acrobat completely. Even if I plug it back, I have to close Acrobat and reopen it. If I complete scan and then unplug it, it will refuse to make another pass, again giving the error message above. If I plug it back, I am once again able to scan.

I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit with Acrobat 9.5.5

There should be no reason why having an internet connection would affect scanning, but after several tests as I've described, I am convinced it has a definite corelation to the problem. Could it be that when others' scanning stopped and then "miraculously" began again, that there was a temporary loss of internet during your scanning failure, and a working connection when it suddenly worked again?

It seems that someone has found a way to corrupt Acrobat files to gather information from your scans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TWAIN]

"Default Source"="z:\\$IMPORT$DS$ROOT$\\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\\0000"

I removed the default source entry and that corrected the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines