• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I use the NOT boolean operator in WebHelp output

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH 11 and am trying to figure out how to use the NOT boolean operator in my WebHelp out.

For example, when I type "Body NOT text" (no quotes), I get the following message:

"The words you typed is not a valid expression."

Am I doing something wrong here or does this not work?

Thanks,

Mack

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at RoboHelp's own help. Enter Search in the search box and click first topic.

You can search for BODY and TEXT or BODY or TEXT.

What is the objective here?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the code, for anyone who can figure out what causes the "words you typed is not a valid expression" to display:

opengovplatform-beta/robohhre.lng at master · opengovplatform/opengovplatform-beta · GitHub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can mess around with the .lng file via the Project Settings to change any wording you want to display. So?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Of course the message is irrelevant. Perhaps someone can tell from the code what the illegal attempted search functions are. Merely testing by entering symbols and terms in search brings up the message without certainty. For example, "or"  and "OR" don't work, but "|" does. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, what are you trying to figure out? If you enter characters or search terms in the search field that the JavaScript doesn’t understand, it’s going to throw an error – the wording of the error message is governed by the wording in the relevant line of the .LNG file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are perfectly correct. I understand the js response. The message

doesn't matter.

I merely updated the thread, which is posted in several places and goes

back to RH7, to note that the message has not yet been identified for

specific search symbols/terms. I hope that the next RH user to be

frustrated with search will check the js and be able to identify the

incorrect search terms/symbols that bring up the message.

However, no one has done so in all these years, so I'm not holding my

breath, and won't spend more of your time or mine on it. Thank you for

responding to what seemed to you to be the problem. That was thoughtful of

you. May you have a warmer afternoon than we are having here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Using RH 2017, with latest updates installed, to build WebHelp. Boolean operators AND and OR work as expected in the search tool. However, if I try to use operator NOT, I don't get any results and it throws the "The words you typed is not a valid expression." error message. My understanding (based on RH's Help here: https://help.adobe.com/en_US/robohelp/2017/robohtml/index.html#t=book%2Frob_linknavigate_li%2FRoboHe...) is that AND, OR, and NOT are all supported for WebHelp output in RH 2017.

Thoughts on what's triggering the error - and how to get NOT working?

As an aside, Adobe might consider replacing this error message with one that's grammatically correct in a future update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like NOT isn't working after all - you'd better raise a bug with Adobe - use the Tracker link on the main page of this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also report the message in the bug.

Meantime though you can change it in the LNG file. Look for JS_Alert_Invalid_Expression_1

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calling all JS developers. I did some digging and discovered this Boolean operation code in whfhost.js:

// Boolean operation

switch ( a_Node.eType )

{

case ESNT_OR:

return ( fWeightLeft + fWeightRight ) / 2.0;

case ESNT_AND:

return ( fWeightLeft * fWeightRight );

case ESNT_NOT:

fWeightRight = ( fWeightRight == 0.0 ) ? 1.0 : 0.0;

return fWeightLeft * fWeightRight;

}

Does anything look obviously wrong/incorrect for the NOT operator? Finding this is about as far as I can take it. I'm not a developer, though if someone is able to provide the correct code (assuming it's as simple a fix as that), I'm comfortable editing the JS to insert it and then capable of manually deploying and maintaining it until a wider fix is applied/automatically handled in an RH update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One more piece of info on this issue. If I generate the same project as Responsive HTML output, and use the AND, OR, and NOT operators in search, I get the following results (project contains topics about gift cards and credit cards):

credit and gift = 57 topics/results

credit or gift = 236 topics/results

credit not gift = 57 topics/results

Observation: While I don't get the error message that I get in the WebHelp output for the NOT operator, it appears to instead act like the AND operator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp