Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export .mov file in adobe premiere pro cc 2014

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So my client wants the final exports in .mov file format but there is no .mov option in the export settings!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!??? PLEASE HELP!

TOPICS
Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Try Quicktime....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Thanks! I was able to export a .mov file w quicktime just had to tweak the settings to match my 4k footage ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Quicktime....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I was able to export a .mov file w quicktime just had to tweak the settings to match my 4k footage ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a sec!  I can't export my 4k footage at  h.264  3,840 x 2160 with quicktime seems as tho width x height only goes up to 2,000 x 2,000 !!! so thats not gonna work for me unless anyone else has any insight into this problem?

However there is a youtube 4k setting in premiere but they export as .mp4 not .mov so it's useless to me right now . .. I'm confused SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mari,

Why must you have a .mov? If it is that important to you, you can merely change the file extension of a .mp4 to .mov. Personally, I just use the H.264 presets. All that said, there is a bug with exports from QuickTime over 2000 pixels in width and length (and has been since CS3). Sorry if this interrupts your workflow.

Use the workaround I suggested, or if you have Apple Compressor, that will accept .mov files over 2000 pixels in length and width.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, Im just seeing this now and will try it out ...

My client is asking for .mov not sure if its because they have no idea what they really need but they mentioned that it was for a mobile app ... I normally just upload videos for them on to vimeo and youtube using the presets in premiere but this time it's a bit challenging...

But i think i was able to solve my problem by playing with the settings can you have a look at the screenshots below ...

While in Quicktime, I changed the Video Codec to Apple Prores 422 and did match source and i was able to export my .mov @ 4k it looks nice when uploaded to youtube however playback in preview is a bit jumpy, i'm not sure if that was the best way to go about it? I also tried a export setting using Video Codec H.264 and changed the w x h to 1920 x 1080 and that looks good too.

I will be trying out the method you suggested by changing the file extension & see how that works out ... Thank you !!!

quicktime4kmov .jpgquicktime h.264 1080p.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K for a mobile app !!!!

I agree..the client does not understand what they "need".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been trying to export to a Quicktime (.MOV) format, but (unlike in your screenshot) I do not have the H.264 codec option available in the Codecs drop-down. I export often to H.264 using the .MP4 format wrapper, so I don't understand why it isn't there under Quicktime. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh you guys seem to know about .MOV footage and best way to export to present to client. Can I ask you a question about this? I've done a couple of wedding videos, filmed at 1080 x 1920 HD at 25 fps on my Canon 5D. Edited in Premiere Pro. If I export a 30 min video immediately using 'match source' it exports as an MPEG4 but size is big...around 4 GB. Is this right or is this too big? I will give wedding clients the file on USB thumb drive and I imagine they will download to their computer/ maybe plug into tv etc. I uploaded one (3GB) to YouTube and it took a few hours but it did succeed and it looks great. Can someone PLEASE tell me what you would do in baby steps once I click export, shall I go to Media Encoder and try h.264 codec or just stick with match source and export now?..

(ps, I did try creating a preset in Media Encoder for Mpeg21080p25fps, but the file (800MB) looks crappy when viewed on my computer...

I guess my main question is are files of 3 - 10Gb really too big to give to a wedding client? What would you guys do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liz2319,

I do not recommend to use 'match source' for client delivery when creating wedding video's. Match Source is more for archiving or broadcast workflows. You'll be totally fine exporting a H.264 using either the YouTube or Vimeo HD 1080p preset. Just follow these steps:

- Select your sequence

- File > Export > Media...

- Choose:

- Format: H.264

- Preset: YouTube 1080p HD

30 minutes will end ub being around 2.3 GB, should be fine on a thumb drive.

I recommend to stick to exporting using H.264 and stay away form older formats like MPEG2 and MPEG4.

Hope this helps.

Joost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"there is a bug with exports from QuickTime over 2000 pixels in width and length (and has been since CS3)" if this is a know issue why haven't been corrected on the 2015 newest release? is it too difficult?

Apple Compressor? changing the name of the files from .mp4 to .mov? I'm sorry but that's unacceptable for who bought a Adobe CC subscription.

I'll do the change if this issue and the H.265 import and export doesn't come briefly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be precise, this is not a bug, but a limitation of the QuickTime code Apple provides to 3rd parties, like Adobe. You can perfectly use h.264 (that gives a .mp4 extension). It will playback on any modern device that supports that framesize. Use the YouTube 4K preset, that is the one I always use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because Getty Images only accept .mov files.  Thats a major problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines