• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly can't drag objects... tried several potential solutions with no luck so far.

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden I am not able to drag objects in any InDesign document (Well, I assume it's ANY document. I've only tested a few.) I can drag handles/corners to resize an object; I can nudge an object with arrow keys; I can move objects using Object > Transform > Move; but I can't drag anything with the mouse/trackpad.

This is happening with all objects in all of the documents I've tested (both text objects and image objects). I've tried using a trackpad and a mouse. I checked to be sure that objects were not locked or anchored. I've trashed the preferences. Still no luck.

I'm using InDesign CS4 on Mac Snow Leopard (10.6.8). I have Better Touch Tool installed -- with the trackpad I do not have any actions that are specific to InDesign but with the mouse I do, to disable two-finger scrolling in the app. The trackpad is the only new thing on the computer...

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

First thing I would try is uninstalling the Better Touch Tool.

And you say you trashed the prefs, but I like to be sure that you've really done a complete job. For ID there are two files that need to be replaced, and they live in different folders, so sometimes users do only half the job. Please see Replace Your Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I would try is uninstalling the Better Touch Tool.

And you say you trashed the prefs, but I like to be sure that you've really done a complete job. For ID there are two files that need to be replaced, and they live in different folders, so sometimes users do only half the job. Please see Replace Your Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter and Jongware!

You were correct - I had not completely replaced the prefs. I actually had deleted both files, but separately. (Deleted one of the files; opened ID and that hadn't helped; thought to myself that I may have picked the wrong pref file so deleted the other; opened ID and still hadn't helped...) Both times Recent Files was still populated with a list of files, which should have been a clue.

This time, to be certain I used the keyboard shortcut (I had already saved copies of my original prefs when I'd trashed them earlier so I did have backups just in case). And sure enough it worked. In the meantime I also restarted my computer (it had only been 34 days since my last restart).

And Jongware, it does seem to be very similar to the linked issue. Strangely enough when I did a forum search and Google search on the topic before posting this, I didn't see that topic come up, though one would think it should have. Perhaps I just overlooked it. Thank you for helping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can it be the same as in this "More Like This" link?

Cannot drag objects in indesgn cs3

I only saw this happen once, and it was very disconcerting to the poor user. Cleaning out the Preferences worked right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem now with InDesign CC. I am using a mac OSX 10.9.5. I have trashed all preferences or reset them with control - alt - shift - command while starting InDesign. Nothing seems to help. If I do a restart I am able to move objects for a short time. After a time though it no longer functions. I called the Adobe help hotline only to find out that they don't offer telephone support for InDesign and was bumped back to the Adobe website to try and sort it out myself. Big help Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same boat as you, papei. I'm using InDesign CC on an iMac running OS X Yosemite (10.10.1). I've tried trashing prefs and restarting the computer. It clear's up the problem for a short period of time but then it returns. I can click on an object, move it with the arrow keys and delete it. But it will not move with the mouse; i.e., click and drag.

I am trying an experiment though. I created an additional OS X account on my iMac and have InDesign running there with a test document. So far, I can move objects in that secondary account. I'm going to leave the test document open and will keep flipping back to check it. If InDesign continues to work in this other OS X account, then it would seem there is a conflict between InDesign and some other software.

This is tremendously frustrating. I will post again if and when I discover anything new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info andymroz! I am glad to see that the problem is not mine alone. What really aggravates me is the lack of help from Adobe! I have been running Adobe CC for about a year now. This problem just recently popped up. What is strange it that I have older copies of Adobe CS on my mac CS 3 - CS 5.5. As soon as the problem starts, every version of CS is affected. Today I will de-install InDesign CC and re-install it and see if that help. Please keep me posted on your progress. Perhaps we can resolve the problem together. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

papei-wla wrote:

As soon as the problem starts, every version of CS is affected. Today I will de-install InDesign CC and re-install it and see if that help. Please keep me posted on your progress. Perhaps we can resolve the problem together. Cheers.

That points to a software conflict, not something that reinstalling ID is going to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. Reinstallation did nothing to help. The problem persists. If I could only find which programs are in conflict!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any third-party plugins (including font manager) for ID? Background Utilities running? Browser?

Start up in Safe Mode (hold down the shift key) and see if ID run correctly without the background startup programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will give that a shot. I finally have Adobe on the phone. Let's see what they come up with! Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I was able to move objects while booted in Safe Mode. I also deleted a few utilities I downloaded recently while I was still in Safe Mode. But the problem remains after rebooting in "Normal" mode. I do use Suitcase Fusion 5. I did turn off the InDesign plugin within the Suitcase Plugin Manager. But it didn't help.

The only way I've been able to correct it is by creating the secondary OS X account I mentioned in my previous post to papei-wla. When I switch to that account, I don't have any problems. It is nearly untraceable because so many things can be causing it. Switching to my alternate OS X account will probably be my solution because tracking the problem will take time I don't have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe today. I detailed the problem for them and they promised to get back to me. It also worked for me when I rebooted into safe mode. But it works for me after a reboot for about 15 to 20 minutes anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't like to say this, but it will be a miracle if you get a call back. Run in safe mode long enough to see if it's just the reboot or if you've eliminated a conflict, several hours perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I discovered today that creating and switching to a new OS X user account doesn't solve this problem. After using InDesign in the new account, the problem has cropped up again. After thinking I had it solved, it's now a serious problem and I need a solution.

papei-wla I assume you haven't heard from Adobe. It would be nice to know they are trying to find a solution but I'm not holding my breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone from Adobe promised to call me. I have yet to hear from them. It is really an aggravating situation. I hate to have to reboot every time I need to use InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should try to keep track of the things you do between when ID works and it doesn't. That will help you find the conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi andymroz. I heard from a chap from Adobe today. He instructed me to remove the pushbullet plugin from my chrome browser. I did that and InDesign has been working properly for over an hour. I will give it till this afternoon before I can say for sure. Are you using chrome with the pushbullet plugin as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow...yes I do. I did notice yesterday the problem started after launching Chrome. I was using InDesign with minimal other applications running as I tried to track the cause. I will try this when I get to work.

Thank you for letting me know. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. I can confirm, since I removed the pushbullet plugin from chrome, InDesign is working normal. Hopefully it will stay that way. Cheers Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome plugins seem to be a common source of trouble for ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using InDesign all morning, sans the Pushbullet Chrome extension, I haven't had any problems. Pushbullet is a fantastic extension. One I actually used regularly. I hope the developers work out a solution soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel the same way about pushbullet. I hate to let it go, but I have to get my work done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2015 Mar 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will attempt this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!! For weeks I've been trying to find out what was going on, and removing Push Bullet from Chrome did the trick. In Illustrator, I'd be working and then try to drag an object, but then Illustrator would hang for about 2 seconds, and then the app would crash. In InDesign, there was no crashing, but I would suddenly be unable to drag anything. And I was always able to apply a temporary fix for both apps by either (1) restarting my Mac, (2) deleting font caches or (3) resetting preferences for the offending app. But after such fixes, I'd be back in the same situation after a few more minutes of working. Arrrgh! But now with Push Bullet gone from Chrome, I've been working for days with no issues in either app. Yay!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines