• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking problem to external help files

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2007 Oct 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 1master projects with 30 sub-projects. In Robohelp for Word, it was easy to link the text to the external help topic. When I try to do the same thing in RoboHelp HTML using the Hyperlink dialog box, I can link to the external .chm, but not the topics. And it does not work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2007 Oct 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mjp321. In RH HTML you link to a "Remote topic" - i.e. one that is not within the current project. If you use the Hyperlink button, click on the Link To arrow and select "Remote Topic". This allows you to select the CHM of your sub-project and then select the topic in that CHM that you want to link to. You'll also be asked to copy that CHM into your project. Are you saying that this is not working? Did you copy the CHM when prompted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH HTML (I am using RH5) I am not able to link to a "Remote topic." I selected the text, used the Hyperlink button, clicked on the Link To arrow and got the following options: Web Address, Email, Multimedia, Usenet News, FTP or File. I cannot select "Remote Topic" because it is not on the list (although the help says it should be one of the options.) I chose File, this allowed me to select the CHM of the sub-project but not the topic in that CHM because I never see the topics. I was asked to copy that CHM into the project. I did copy the CHM when prompted. When I save and compile, the link will either not show up as underlined text, or if it does, I get a page not found error. I have this same project in RH for Word and it works fine, but we need our help to work on Vista and this is the only option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on Vista than YOUR only option maybe to go back to XP. RH is not supported under Vista. It may work for some but you may get unexpected results. As RHX5 is a old version these days it is particularly true for this version. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I was not clear. I am running RH5 under Windows XP. The help files I am creating are going to run under Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only other thing you could try is to add the link in true code view using the format below based on manually looking up details for your links..

<a href="xxx.chm::/xfolder/xxxx.htm">text of link </a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the same on all projects or just one? Is your project on a network drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the same on all projects. All my projects are local.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of interest, you do have Microsoft HTML Help as your default single source layout don't you? I you don't, you won't see this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That fixed it! Thanks loads!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp