16 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 5:58 AM by resdesign

How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?

vizion2004 Level 1

I have what seems to be a bug in edge animate cc2014 in following circumstances:

1. Duplicate a symbol

2. Drag duplicate symbol onto stage.4

3. Rename symbol

4. Click to edit symbol

5. Select an image inside the symbol

6. In properties panel change path to swap the image to be used in this instance of the  duplicated symbol ( I need to reuse this symbol many times and not being able to change asset names is a real problem!).

7. The names for the asset in both the timeline and the elements were auto generated at the time of duplication when try to change the names they revert back to the auto generated  names.

How can I overcome this problem which is clearly a bug or a poorly thought through bit of programming by an otherwise highly competent adobe edge animate tesm

Thank in advance

David.

• 1. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello David,Are you duplicating your symbol in the elements panel or the library panel? 

If you duplicate a symbol in the elements panel you get several instances of this symbol. If you change something in one of thaws instances it will be changed in all of them.

If you duplicate in the library panel then you have different symbols you can edit differently.

This being said, you should be able to duplicate the symbols and change  their instance name in both cases.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 5:52 AM, vizion2004 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 2. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?
            vizion2004 Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the response. I duplicated symbols from the library panel and, as you say, can change the instance name for the symbol. However that is not the problem.

The difficulty relates to changing the name of image assets within the new instance of a symbol.

I can change an image asset for an alternative image for the new symbol instance by swapping the path for the new image. However the bug prevents you changing the name you give the image asset.

In my case I have a lot of symbols I need to create each one of which uses the same timeline and other controls but applies them to a different image set.I need to alter the name of each image but the CC2014 version of Edge animate prevents me from customising the image asset names.

This would mean instead of simply duplicating the symbols I will need to create a new symbol instead of being able to duplicate the symbol.

Crazy!!

David

• 3. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?

Hi David,

I have not seen that bug before. Could you post a link to your zipped files so I can test it.

In my experience, I can re-link files in the relink panel by clicking on them.

see below.

relink1.jpgrelink2.jpg

• 4. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?
                g.bollmann Level 1

I have the same problem. User vizion2004 and I both have found where to swap the asset reference as pictured above. The problem is the follow on.

I have duplicated a GREEN symbol from the symbol panel. Now "Green-2" exists.

In the symbol panel I rename "GREEN-2" to PURPLE.

I open a new document and drag PURPLE onto the stage. Using the properties panel above, I swap the asset references. I swap purple versions of all assets successfully.

PERFECT: If I place the Purple symbol in a document alone, it displays beautifully as Purple.

PROBLEM: If I place the PURPLE symbol in a document WITH the GREEN symbol, the Purple symbol displays with Green assets, presumably because the sub-symbol names are the same, or some other asset reference is the same.

My Green symbol - my base symbol - has a number of nested symbols that comprise its interactivity.

I need a Green, Purple, Blue, and Yellow version in the same document.

If you know how to update the necessary references, please kindly share them here.

• 5. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?
                  Devendra Kumar Adobe Employee

Hi All,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

We will test this and logged a bug if required.

Regards,

Devendra

• 6. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?
                    g.bollmann Level 1

Thank you for logging.

I need a work around to avoid rebuilding 4 of these complex symbols from scratch. Where is the "problem code" so I can carefully hand edit?

Many thanks,

Grace

• 7. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?

Hi there,

Are you sure you are making a duplicate in the symbol panel and NOT the elements panel? If you duplicate in the elements panel then whatever you change will change in all the instances.

If you actually duplicated in the symbols panel, then you should not have this problem (never seen it). you should be able to change your elements in the new duplicated element named purple and drag it to the stage to see the result. you can drag green to the stage too to see the difference.

sym duplication.png

• 8. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?
                        g.bollmann Level 1

Hi and thanks for your swift reply. Unfortunately, it isn't at all applicable. When "library-duplicated" symbols are imported into the same document, they all reference the same sub-symbol.

I confirm that I have duplicated the symbol in the library symbol panel. Further, I understand the difference between the library as a source and the elements panel as instances of the symbol.

Duplicated in the library panel, indeed I can change the symbol independently. I have already duplicated and changed such that I have separate versions with separate names in each of Green, Purple, Blue, and Yellow. Using your method, I have achieved independent symbols in 4 color variations already.

The problem lies in that when the symbol is duplicated, the sub-symbols to the symbol do not or, possibly, cannot, get a unique name as well. This results in the following case:

"GreenSymbol" is composed of sub-symbols "Indefinite" and "Definite" (each contains symbols, too).

"PurpleSymbol" is also composed of sub-symbols "Indefinite" and "Definite" (etc).

and so on. Only the outermost symbol is renamed.

When the uniquely named "outer" symbols are placed in the same document, the "inner" symbols which share a name are read in FIFO. The inner symbols have no unique name - only the outer symbols. If one of the colors is alone in a document, it displays 100% correctly.

How can I adjust my duplicated, renamed, and revised set of 4 symbols so the sub-symbols also have unique names? I'm willing to hand edit something, as these symbols are complicated and painstaking to recreate.

Thank you for working to understand the problem, and I appreciate any work around you can suggest.

BR/Grace

• 9. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?

You should be able to use the same names for the sub symbols since the symbol name is different lilke

sym.getSymbol('name1').$('art')....

sym.getSymbol('name2').$('art')....

sym.getSymbol('name3').$('art')....

sym.getSymbol('name4').$('art')....

And you can change images and color with attr or css for the sub elements.

• 10. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?
                            g.bollmann Level 1

Again, incorrect. It's not about how I can address a specific symbol with code - no problems there - it's what the composition loads into the symbol. Try it with some complex component or sub- symbols.

Work-Around for using Duplicated and Revised symbols (symbol variants) in the SAME document. Solution.

Tedious, but easy. Low risk. Edge Animate 2014.1.1

When you duplicate a symbol comprised of symbols itself ("sub-symbols"), only the outermost symbol gets a unique name, not it's component inner symbols. Upon import of additional variants, a unique name is created in the Library/Symbols panel for the inner symbols, yet the references in the outer symbol can't update to use those unique inner-symbol names. Therefore, the composition loads the symbol with the matching name. This will be the first variant to be imported.

Make the Duplicate

1. Duplicate the symbol in the Library/Symbol Panel. Rename. Export.

Prepping the Symbol

1. Open a new document, import and place the new symbol.
                            2. Select the asset to be switched/replaced. Make the switch in the property panel. Properties/Images/Swap button. (I revised my base or source symbol to have different colored background images. This is how I created 4 color variants.)
                              1. Save the new document, of course. "Example1.an"
                              2. Export the revised symbol from the Library/Symbol Panel for safe keeping.
                            3. Return to Example1.an
                            4. Elements Panel: Work through the nested symbols, adding a preceding identifier to all symbols in the heirarchy.
                              1. *KEEP IT SIMPLE so you can easily and quickly move through the .js files in the following steps.*
                              2. Save Example1.an.
                            5. Library/Symbols Panel: Go down the list, renaming all the symbols with the same preceding identifier as was used in the Elements Panel. *I advise to stay parallel with the Elements panel. Change as little as possible.*
                              1. Disregard any odd appearance you may see on the stage for now.
                              2. Save Example1.an

Revising the Code

1. In Edge Code, also part of the Creative Cloud suite, or any code editor, open the two .js files for "Example1.an." found in the same folder
                              1. ...Edge.js and ...EdgeActions.js
                            2. ...Edge.js
                              1. find  "symbolName" - prepend with the identifier whatever is not already prepended.
                              2. at the same time, look for "id" nearby - prepend with the identifier whatever is not already prepended.
                              3. Save
                            3. ...EdgeActions.js
                              1. First read the grey comments about not degrading the //Edge Comments.
                              2. Search the document for "//Edge symbol" - prepend whatever is not already prepended.
                              3. Carefully check all the orange text, prepending the symbol names you find. This same code can be seen in your Code Panel with the "Full Code" button.
                              4. Save

Return to Edge Animate

1. When prompted to Reload, say yes.
                            2. Save Example1.an
                            3. EXPORT your new top level symbol - now a fully separated asset.
                              1. Now you have created a fully unique symbol, which can be used in conjunction with other variants in the same document.

• Import your new, unique symbol variant it into your real document.

This is the solution if your Symptoms are:

• I duplicated symbols to make different variations, but now I can't use the duplicated symbol variants together.
                            • When I try to swap images in a duplicated symbol, it succeeds when used alone, but reverts when used with the original symbol.
                            • My duplicated symbol works properly alone, but not when it is used with the original symbol.
                            • My symbol seems to revert to the original source symbol.
                            • 11. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?
                              g.bollmann Level 1

Hey ... I've got a solution for you!

This problem doesn't appear if it's a duplicate of a simple symbol. Yours must be like mine - one symbol with a hierarchy of inner symbols.

• 12. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?

Well I guess your approach could help some. As for me, I use different means like assigning IDs, classes, etc...

• 13. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?
                                  g.bollmann Level 1

Hi, I'd love to hear more. My solution is a real hack. So you tried it... you duped a symbol with an internal symbol hierarchy, then revised each to be unique ...by assigning IDs? What does that mean exactly, and where can I do it in EA?

Litmus test: you can use these new symbols together in the same comp. Otherwise, I suspect we are talking about different things.

I'm a designer, not a programmer. Thanks in advance for sharing the correct workflow

• 14. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?

You can assign IDs and classes to symbols with attr('id', 'newIDName') and addClass().

So let's say I have one symbol which contains other symbols - I would first give an id to the outermost symbol, then drill down to the other internal symbols. Then since I can address them directly then I can do what I want with them.

When I want to create several symbols then I run a for loop so they have the same name with an index.  Here I am not adding an id to the internal elements but you could using the same principal. You could also assign class names.

example:

// create buttons in a navbar div.

for (m=0;m<results.length-1;m++){

var buttons = sym.createChildSymbol("button", "navBar");

buttons.element.attr("id","button"+m);

sym.$("#button"+m).css({"position":"absolute","top":5,"left":(distance+=50)});   // make sure to have the # in front of the new name

sym.getSymbol("#button"+m).$('bg').css({'background-color':'white'});

sym.getSymbol("#button"+m).$('number').html(m+1);

};

• 15. Re: How can I Change Asset names for swapped images in duplicated symbols?
                                      g.bollmann Level 1

Super, thanks!

Where do I place the For Loop and with what surrounding syntax?