• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This Computer Good Enough For My Editing Needs?

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be getting a new computer for video editing.

I do gameplay recordings for various games on the PS4.

My other computer is geared for audio production mixing and mastering.

This one will be for recording(using game capture device and software) and editing the videos.

I do not use many effects, mainly some color corrections, and some time remapping using Twixtor, or stock functions.

I will be using Premiere Pro CS6

I record using the Elgato Game Capture HD60(H.264 encoding)

This device connects the PS4 for passthrough your computer, which the software included that controls the device, is installed on the computer, and records the gameplay.

Specs and info: bottom of the bestbuy page

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/elgato-game-capture-hd-60/7634008.p?id=1219285525278

Also, the actual website: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd60

Here is the computer:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-X8700-3130BLK-XPS-Desktop/dp/B00K0HMX3A

I would also get the 4 year protection plan.

• 3.6 GHz Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell CPU
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
  • 2TB 7200rpm Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB  GeForce GTX 745 (OEM) | Specifications | GeForce
  • Bluetooth 4.0 + 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
  • SuperMulti DVD Burner
  • 6 x USB 3.0 / 4 x USB 2.0 Ports
  • Integrated 7.1 Audio
  • Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

More indepth computer specs:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059535-REG/dell_x8700_3130blk_xps_8700_7_i7_4790_16gb_2tb_win...

Also, do these specs/available slots allow for adding a Solid State Drive? Can't find info on available slots..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Here's the deal: The GTX 745 will be the limiting factor in that PC, assuming that you do add an SSD. However, without knowing the case that the PC is assembled in, some OEM cases have only one internal drive bay, which limits the entire system to just a single OS disk and no internal storage disks. That severely limits upgradability.

And the GTX 745 is much slower than the GTX 750 for the following two reasons:

1) It is a crippled OEM-only version of the GTX 750, with only 384 CUDA cores (versus

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2015 Jan 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but that site is bias towards Intel, against AMD. Can't trust the source.

They say in a big red button..."AMD are not suitable for editing".

However, AMD can edit fine, so, there goes that credibility.

Personally, I am an Intel guy, so coming from me, you can see that the site is truely bias.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must be based on the fact that the very best AMD based system, a FX8350 octo core, scores only 675 seconds in the benchmark, slower than about 85% of the Intel systems. Other AMD systems are even slower. Most Intel quad cores are much faster and even an average laptop with an Intel quad core CPU is about two times faster than the best AMD system. This AMD system is almost 7 times slower than the fastest single CPU Intel system and other AMD systems are around 10 times slower.

From the article linked to above:

As a general rule of thumb, AMD CPU's are not worth considering at all, since they suffer severely from the very limited and badly implemented support of SSE 4.x instructions, which are widely used in PR. That makes these processors very slow, even in the 8-core versions. You get what you pay for, and with AMD that holds very much. Even though Adobe claims AMD processors can be used, that is intended more to make PR look attractive, but it really means you can install the program on an AMD machine, however you can't edit effectively with such a CPU. Even the latest octo-core AMD's are significantly slower than middle-of-the-road Intel quad cores. If you have an AMD processor, do not expect to edit comfortably any codec more demanding than DV. All phone or action camera formats are way beyond what an AMD can handle.

Does not look like a bias, but a plain statement of easily checked facts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the deal: The GTX 745 will be the limiting factor in that PC, assuming that you do add an SSD. However, without knowing the case that the PC is assembled in, some OEM cases have only one internal drive bay, which limits the entire system to just a single OS disk and no internal storage disks. That severely limits upgradability.

And the GTX 745 is much slower than the GTX 750 for the following two reasons:

1) It is a crippled OEM-only version of the GTX 750, with only 384 CUDA cores (versus 512 CUDA cores in the GTX 750);

2) It uses only DDR3 memory instead of the GDDR5 memory of the GTX 750, and therefore the memory throughput is a lousy 28.8 GB/sec instead of the 80 GB/sec of the GTX 750. And I have recently tested a GT 730 with GDDR5 memory to give you an idea of roughly how lousy the GTX 745 will perform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randall,

Worse than your problems above that board only has 1 HDMI port and 1 VGA port.  NO DVI ports!

For expansion that box is fairly well equipped:

Drive Bay Expansion Quantity: 2

Size: 5.25"

Type: External

Quantity: 3

Size: 3.5"

Type: Internal

If buying that box is your only option pull out that lousy graphics card and install a decent one.  But be careful it only has a 460 watt power supply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you think about this build? Intel Core i7-4790K, EVGA GeForce GTX 970, NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) - System Build - PCPartPicker

Is the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card overkill?

Will it be compatible with Premiere Pro CS6?

Not seeing it in here: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

I do not see the GTX 970 in the supported video cards for GPU acceleration.

Matter fact, I don't even see the GTX 960, 760, or the 750.

I edit music videos, and other things for clients.

I do gameplay videos where I take the .mp4 files and put them in the timeline(captured with Elgato HD60 Capture Card with PS4)

I also do dynamic link with After Effects.

I deal mainly with H.264 file types as of now.

.mts

.mp4

.mov

From my various recording devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want 4x 8GB sticks though for that platform. 2 sticks only gives Dual channel and that supports quad channel. Also 32GB is really what you want for Adobe especially AE. Beyond that the video card will work fine. Just add it to the support list.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2015 Jan 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

monkeysaremyfriend wrote:

Matter fact, I don't even see the GTX 960, 760, or the 750.

That's in part because Adobe cannot test every single GPU out there, and in part because the GTX 960 was just introduced this past Thursday. I think you mean the GTX 980 instead of the GTX 960.

Speaking of the newly introduced GTX 960, it may not be worth the extra $50 or so over the GTX 750 Ti in terms of overall performance in Adobe Premiere Pro CC. Sure, the GTX 960 has 60% more CUDA cores than the GTX 750 Ti (1,024 versus 640), but it's still hobbled by a 128-bit memory bus width (in this case, the memory throughput of a GTX 960 is only 112 GB/sec versus 86.4 GB/sec for a reference GTX 750 Ti). As such, the GTX 960 will be slightly faster than the GTX 750 Ti in CC 2014 - but not anywhere close to the percentage differential in price between it and the GTX 750 Ti.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines