• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I move objects and text boxes in Indesign CS5.5?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently upgraded to Indesign CS5.5.I have been working on a document and all was going fine but I suddenly realised I could no longer move any text boxes or objects using the direct selection tool and dragging. The objects just don't move. I can move them by selecting them and then laboriously shifting them with the arrow keys. I can also reshape them by dragging the mid points and corners. The objects are not locked and are not on a locked layer. The "Anchored object' options are all greyed out and I also can't copy any of the objects.  Please can someone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - but I'm on a Mac OSX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you move them with the regular selection tool (black arrow)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - I can't move them with either selection tool. I've created another document and the same thing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2011 Dec 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked fine - thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand how to do this. I am currently going through the same problem. Can someone help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody can help you without details.

And if you're not using CS5.5 start your own thread with full details about what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I experienced this issue after adding some new Chrome addons. By process of elimination, it turned out to be one called "Session Manager." After disabling it, the problem disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One document or all?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2016 Jul 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all, old and new...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem now with InDesign CC. I am using a mac OSX 10.9.5. I have trashed all preferences or reset them with control - alt - shift - command while starting InDesign. Nothing seems to help. If I do a restart I am able to move objects for a short time. After a time though it no longer functions. I called the Adobe help hotline only to find out that they don't offer telephone support for InDesign and was bumped back to the Adobe website to try and sort it out myself. Big help Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello papei,

I have sent you a message. Please reply & I will get back to you.

Thanks

Avanish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2016 Mar 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post the solution so that the rest of us can fix it on our own systems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done the rename of the 2 files and STILL I cannot move text boxes.  Any other ideas??  Just FYI, I'm running Indesign cs5.5 on windows 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One file or all files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All files...  If i go to another workstation with the same version of ID, I can move all.  Only on my windows 8.1 install does it not work. This is a relatively new phenomenon.  I has worked fine until just a few days ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what changes were made on your machine in the past few days?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None that I am aware of. Pehaps a windows update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but unlikley since it isn't being widely reported. New browser plugins? Utilities?

Have you tried doing a System Restore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to my design duties, I am working to set up a new virtual environment for the office (Small office, I have to multitask...:))  I did recently install a web client for VMWare management...  I can't believe that would affect ID, but I HAVE seen stranger things...  I can uninstall that, but not sure that would revert...  I will try the system restore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it.  The system restore.  I'll have to put the VMware stuff on another machine.  Thanks for your help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered this problem a couple weeks back. It seems that a plugin in Chrome was causing it. The culprit was pushbullet. The problem has been documented by pushbullet. Would you happen to be using the chrome browser with this plugin? If you are, remove it do a restart and see if the problem is resolved. It would seem that this plugin is wholly unrelated to InDesign, but it was what causing me a lot of grief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting Pushbullet fixed it. Totally weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines