• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 11 WebHelp - TOC, index, and search do not work in FireFox 35

Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This morning I compiled WebHelp and opened it in FireFox (FF) 35. The left pane with the TOC panel is blank. Index and search are blank, too. This appears to be an issue with FF 35. Help will open in FF 34 without any issues. Help also opens in IE and Chrome without problems. I tested this on multiple machines and both versions of FF. None of my RH or FF settings were changed. The only difference was the FF auto update yesterday.  Does anyone have any idea how this can be fixed?

Thanks,

Tammy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing to do is determine if this is project specific or general. Generate an output from one of the sample projects and see what happens.

Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I tested both of the sample projects just now. Unfortunately, they have the same problem.  No TOC, Index, Glossary or Search ability. I did not make any changes. All I did was open the project and did a WebHelp compile.

Tammy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of our developers was poking around in the browser. He found something, but I don't know what to do about it.

Looks like the warnings have been there. I’m guessing the TypeError might be the problem.

Console from 34:

An unbalanced tree was written using document.write() causing data from the network to be reparsed. For more information https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Optimizing_Your_Pages_for_Speculative_Parsing PortalHelp.htm:124

An unbalanced tree was written using document.write() causing data from the network to be reparsed. For more information https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Optimizing_Your_Pages_for_Speculative_Parsing whskin_frmset01.htm:208

Use of captureEvents() is deprecated. To upgrade your code, use the DOM 2 addEventListener() method. For more help http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:element.addEventListener ehlpdhtm.js:3169

An unbalanced tree was written using document.write() causing data from the network to be reparsed. For more information https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Optimizing_Your_Pages_for_Speculative_Parsing whskin_frmset010.htm:66

syntax error whproj_xml.js:1

syntax error whtoc_xml.js:1

syntax error whtdata0_xml.js:1

Console from 35:

An unbalanced tree was written using document.write() causing data from the network to be reparsed. For more information https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Optimizing_Your_Pages_for_Speculative_Parsing PortalHelp.htm:124

An unbalanced tree was written using document.write() causing data from the network to be reparsed. For more information https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Optimizing_Your_Pages_for_Speculative_Parsing whskin_frmset01.htm:208

Use of captureEvents() is deprecated. To upgrade your code, use the DOM 2 addEventListener() method. For more help http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:element.addEventListener ehlpdhtm.js:3169

An unbalanced tree was written using document.write() causing data from the network to be reparsed. For more information https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Optimizing_Your_Pages_for_Speculative_Parsing whskin_frmset010.htm:66

syntax error whproj_xml.js:1

TypeError: xmlInfo is undefined whutils.js:378

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've upgraded to FF35 and I'm seeing the same issue. The problem seems to be that RH wants to read some data before it's available. Please log an issue with Adobe.

I have a rather ugly workaround for this in the form of an updated whutils.js. (Don't ask details, it's not pretty...) If you need to support FF35, this may help you until Adobe can create a real fix.

1. Download the modified whutils.js (this one is RH 11.0.3 only): whutils.js - Google Drive
  2. In your OUTPUT, replace the existing whutils.js with the downloaded one.

A quick test shows it works in the major browsers, but I don't guarantee anything.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William, thank you!

I'll log an issue with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work, Willam!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2015 Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance of tinkering with a fix for RH10 Willam? It's now busted too (bummer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the issue only occurs when the help is viewed locally. It seems fine when hosted on a server.

I don't have RH10 around at the moment. Can someone send me the RH10 whutils.js file at contact [at] wvanweelden [dot] eu? I'll try to fix it up. Please include a link to this thread in your mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can do Willam - I'll fire one over to you zipped up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a version for RH10: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B97LY22mEkjqZW5QZGNJSWM1VWc/view?usp=sharing

Same instructins as for RH11: Download whutils.js and overwrite the existing file in your OUTPUT. Please note that this is only a workaround until Adobe can push a patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if one were to simply replace the one that exists in this location:

<drive letter here>:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 11\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock

I'm thinking this might be sufficient to prevent having to remember to copy in the modified version.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And then regenerate your help again ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add it to the template_stock to fix the install. But since it's a workaround, the warranty only holds until to the store's front door as we say in Dutch. (I.e. no warrantee)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, Willam, I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting doing this may not work? (As in, you can try it, but there are no guarantees)

Or are you instead admonishing that taking this action might cause Adobe to refuse to help supporting things (as in, you have voided the warranty)

Or are you even claiming that it may or may not work (as in, your mileage may vary)

Sorry to be dense... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will work. But it is a quick fix and I do not plan to support this fix going. Adobe will (have to) provide a real patch.

It's just that I fixed the issue and did a quick test on the WebHelp output and everything seemed to work. I didn't do a complete regression test. Perhaps I broke something else. Probably not, but don't blame me if your custom scripts start falling over 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam--

Thank you so much for providing the patch. So far it seems to be working fine--I'm going to test for another day or two before pushing it out to our customers.

This was the first time I've had issues w/ Firefox; all of my problems have been with IE and Chrome.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, William, my work's web filters are denying me access to the fixed file. Is there another place it might be available? I am still having the problem with Firefox, even with the latest release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to get the patches via Help > Updates within RH11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested, I notified Adobe. Support escalated the issue last night to their product team.

Thank you all so much for your assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue.  I was in the middle of making a new WebHelp manual and testing it when FireFox decided to do an update to 35.0 and now the TOC and Index sections are blank.  I sure hope this gets fixed quick.  Some on suggested posting a bug in the webcompat.com page to start the conversation as it would take both parties to work on the compatibility.  I went there and it seemed over my head so maybe posting the suggestion here will allow someone else to give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE

Adobe sent me an email about this yesterday. Their Product team is currently working on the problem. They are not able to provide an ETA for the resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I will report it to Adobe as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go right ahead, but Willam’s fix works ok for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the bug reporting form we often point to has been out of service for the last several days. Hoping it will be restored soon, but for now we simply can't file reports.

BOO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp