• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebHelp now displaying index and search differently

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently our WebHelp output started to add an alphabet to the top of the index tab with bold letters for those with topics and the search tab now contains every word in every help file with links to the number of occurences that will take you to that page if you click them.  What happened?  How can I turn this off?  This happens in IE, Chrome, and Firefox.  This happens in Windows 7 and XP.  It doesn't matter which version of IE, it will occur.  It will not occur if I view it through a URL.  But to view it through a URL, I need to copy the files to the wwwroot directory on the web server if I want to see things "normally".  I have put an example of a simple project with 3 topics in it.  Below is the output.

This occurs in RoboHelp 8 and also in the trial of 11 that I just downloaded.  I could previously View Primary Layout in RoboHelp and see the "normal" version and now I get this:

Search:

a

about

add

and

another

bar

button

click

cursor

delete

display

editor

f1

first

help

here 1 2

in

is

it

learn

more

new

Index:

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

First Topic

second

third

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that’s controlled in the SSL recipe you use to generate the WebHelp. Show us some screenshots of how you’re generating (& in what version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just using the default WebHelp settings.  I opened a new project, added 3 topics, added them to the table of contents and index, and chose WebHelp.  I didn't change any settings.  Where is the "SSL recipe"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single Source Layout – it’s where you pick WebHelp and decide what gets generated & how it’s going to look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7.JPG6.JPG5.JPG4.JPG3.JPG2.JPG1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the index you’re creating looking like this in the project? Have you enabled JavaScript in the browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My index that I created only has 3 items.  I didn't change anything with JavaScript in the browser.  It is the default setting.  This was working for years and then it was messed up on Friday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Normally you see this behavior under the following conditions:

You have perhaps opted for the "Pure HTML" output. But your screen capture shows that isn't the case.

tmp1.png

Notice that the option reads: DHTML > Pure HTML. That indicates that WebHelp will first try using DHTML, and fall back to Pure HTML if it's incapable of using DHTML.

And that sounds exactly like what is happening here.

Personally, given that nothing has really changed and it suddenly started happening, I'd suspect maybe a change in browser settings. Especially any settings that might prevent JavaScript from being executed.

Have you asked your IT staff if they have rolled out changes?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the IT staff.  Just the usual Microsoft patches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, okay!

Questions.

Where is the help when it is opened? Are you testing from your local C drive or from a web server?

If from a web server, does the same thing happen when testing on C immediately after you generate?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The help is being opened on my computer that has RoboHelp and Visual Studio installed.  If I open it from RoboHelp or if I open Windows Explorer and launch the whnjs.htm start page, I see the problem.  If I run the website from Visual Studio or by opening a browser to localhost, I do not see the problem.  I am opening the same file. If it is a file path (c:\inetpub\...), it is messed up.  If I open it via a URL, it is fine.

I have tried to open this from 3 different machines and see the same behavior.  When it is published to the live website, it is fine since it is via a URL.  If I map a drive to that server and open it via the file path, it is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that the Start Page as defined in the SSL? Usually it will be index.htm or the project name in older projects.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, just picked up on the "whnjs.htm" bit. Wouldn't that be "WebHelp" (the WH part) and "njs" (I'm thinking NO JavaScript) here. And with NO JavaScript, that would likely result in the letters.

In fact, when I just double-click that file in one of my own projects, it behaves as I suspected and I too see the alphabet letters.

So I guess the question here is to ask exactly why you are choosing that particular file to open?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The start page is defined as C:\temp\testhelp\!SSL!\WebHelp\index.htm.  I get some warnings in IE but I have been clicking through them for years and saw the old output until recently.  When I have more time next week, I'll compare version 8 and version 11 and let you know what I find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, we are seeing conflicting information here. Your last post says:

The start page is defined as C:\temp\testhelp\!SSL!\WebHelp\index.htm.

But in the post before that you said:

or if I open Windows Explorer and launch the whnjs.htm

So the question is, if the start page is defined as index.htm, why are you opening the whnjs.htm? The whnjs.htm is used if DHTML isn't available and that's why you are seeing the odd behavior.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Java warning that pops up when I run version 8. 

warning8.JPG 

This has been showing up for years.  I have been clicking the link to view without javascript and it showed me the correct table of contents, index, and search tabs.  When I run it from Visual Studio through http://localhost, it never appears.  If I click allow blocked content, I see empty tabs.

allow.JPG

If I open Internet Options, Advanced, and check the setting to Allow active content to run in files on My Computer, I see the same blank page for Table of Contents and Index.

In the version 11trial, I get this warning:

11.JPG

If I check the setting to allow active content to run from my computer, it loads correctly.  I don't know if the boss is willing to spend $1,000 on a new version of RoboHelp because there is an annoyance that occurs in 8 that goes away in 11.  The end result is the same.  The end user sees the help correctly on our web site because they are viewing it via a URL.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on the browser – see Willam’s site (wvanweelden.eu) for a summary of patches & hotfixes to address IE10 & 11, Chrome & FireFox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browser and operating systems have always been the drivers behind software upgrades, eh?

Product X ran just dandy on Windows XP and now it gags and pukes on Windows 7. Gotta upgrade Product X if you depend on it.

RoboHelp is linked at the hip to browser updates. It's a constant struggle as browsers are constantly being updated to thwart security hacks and that often affects the WebHelp and code for other outputs.

The bottom line here is that you may need to advise your boss of the real need to upgrade RoboHelp. And I would imagine any other tool would suffer the same issues.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff_Coatsworth - I tried a number of the patches.  None of them changed anything.  In fact, one of them cause the help to load, then blink, then reload, repeat.  I'll be reinstalling 8 to fix this.

Captiv8r - I've been using Windows 7 for over 5 years with this version of RoboHelp and it was working just fine and have been RoboHelp 8 with IE 11 since it was introduced.  I've been using RoboHelp for 14 years and have never experienced a problem this severe.  Do you upgrade every piece of software, even if it doesn't need it?  Your boss must have loose pockets.  Some versions get skipped, some get installed.  I need to justify costs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I wasn't trying to pick a fight here. And no, I certainly never upgrade software unless a newer version offers me something the older doesn't.

My point with the reply was to acknowledge that even though you have been using RoboHelp for as long as you have with seemingly no issues, you are now suddenly having issues.

And to me, that would seem to be an indication that it's time to talk to the boss about an upgrade.

I really wish I had the ability to say "let me wave this magickal wand and make things better". Unfortunately, all I can do is offer what I know and am aware of.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I missed the fact that you were running RH8 – in that case, you’re pooched; there are no solutions for RH that far back. Upgrading is your only answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp