• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable manual formatting in RH 11?

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to disable manual formatting of text in RH11. We want our tech writers to use only the configured styles for text. We don't want them to apply any manual formatting, like bold and italic, to text. The only thing that I could find was hiding the Formatting toolbar, but it's not a solution. I'm looking for sth similar what MS Word offers. There you can disable all the buttons which allow for manual formatting, so that only configured styles can be used to format text.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Unfortunately, this is not possible. Please submit a feature request with Adobe: Adobe - Site Area Temporarily Unavailable (Note that the form is down at the time of writing. I hope Adobe will have it up again in a couple of days.)

The only thing I found so far is educating users not to use those features. And I have a script to strip out all inline formatting, but that's not a real solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is not possible. Please submit a feature request with Adobe: Adobe - Site Area Temporarily Unavailable (Note that the form is down at the time of writing. I hope Adobe will have it up again in a couple of days.)

The only thing I found so far is educating users not to use those features. And I have a script to strip out all inline formatting, but that's not a real solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick response. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing came to my mind. Do you know by any chance where RH11 stores its settings regarding toolbars? If they are stored in a file that can be modified, we could hide the formatting toolbar by default and copy this config file to all the computers that have RH11 installed, so that the Formatting toolbar is not visible when RH is opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do your tech writers typically use the buttons on the Format toolbar or just the shortcut keys like CTRL+B, etc.?  As a tech writer who previously used Word, I always used the shortcut keys. At my current job, when I started we used FrameMaker and character formats, so no more use of shortcut keys. Now using RH 10, no more shortcut keys.   Well, I COULD use shortcut keys and then do a quick find and replace later in Notepad++.  Anyhow, what I mean is... if your tech writers are used to shortcut keys, hiding the formatting toolbar isn't going to stop the inline formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's true, hiding the Formatting toolbar won't stop them from using manual formatting, but it may be less tempting for them to do so when the toolbar is not visible Looks like the only way is to hope that nobody uses the manual formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam,

Is there any chance you could share this script? At least, we could check if any manual formatting was done on a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll make a small update to the script later to display all topics that have inline formatting. It may be several days before I get to this though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. When it's ready, please let me know. I really appreciate your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also create a “template” workspace environment that hides stuff & then circulate that file. I know in FM the files are .cfws type files – have a look in your local appdata folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response. It looks like the preferences regarding toolbars aren't stored in the workspace file. When I switch between workspaces, the toolbars remain the same. I looked inside the workspace file (.rhs) and it looks like there are only settings for pods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of the preferences are stored in the Windows registry,

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, worth a shot ;>)

It kind of sounds like you’re trying to do structured authoring using RH, which I’ve never heard being used in that way. Maybe you need to consider using something like structured Framemaker, FM12 XML Author or Oxygen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're just trying to keep our styles consistent, therefore we want to get rid of manual formatting and use only styles. That's mostly it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As promised, here is the script: inlineStylingReporter.jsx

Import the script and run it. To keep it generic, I've added to question popups to allow you to choose the level of detail.

The script doesn't change anything in the project, it adds a list of topics and snippets with inline styling in the output view. It's safe to run without creating a backup first.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a million Willam. I imported and ran it. It works perfect.

I really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp