Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Style sheet changes not appearing in RH10

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Searching for an answer before I posted, I saw this question from a member named Pam about RH11 posted almost a year ago, but I don't see an answer. I'm hoping there is an answer!

After many years of working in RoboHelp and carrying on with inline styles, I'm now looking into changing over to style sheets. I've been tinkering with them in some test projects, and I'm having the same problem that Pam did. The process of creating and applying a style sheet is simple, as far as I can tell, yet I can't get the style sheet formatting to appear. It's in the HTML--I see the .css specified, and there are only heading tags and so on present instead of inline stuff--yet the fonts I've selected appear neither in the Styles and Formatting pod nor in the Design view of the topic. I searched Adobe for help and found this: ROBOHELP 10: Creating CSS for a Topic | Tech Comm Suite Highlights | Adobe TV. I did exactly the same steps, but my fonts and spacing do not change as they do in the video. They don't appear different, that is. When I go into the style sheet, my selections are in there; they're just not displayed on the screen. I compiled a chm file to see if by chance the changes might appear there, but no.

I tried this both with existing and new topics in a test copy of an existing project and with a brand new project created in RoboHelp that had none of my usual baggage. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Beth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

When I opened your CSS it was written as below.

/*Created with Adobe RoboHelp 10.*/

@media only screen and (min-width: 1024px) and (max-width: 99999px){

h1 {

font-family: Arial;

font-size: 18pt;

x-next-class: ;

x-next-type: p;

}

}

p {

}

}

That was because, as Amebr had picked up, you must have had Desktop setting in the media dropdown when you applied the style. The result is that if you are viewing i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stuff not appearing right is not surprising pending the clean up so let's focus on your brand new project first.

In a brand new project with topics created in it and using the default.css as supplied, things have to work correctly.

Can you be more specific about what you are seeing where? Different heading levels appearing in different places? Different styles appearing in different places? Maybe add some screenshots to help us.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, thanks for responding. By brand new project, I mean I opened RH and selected File/New Project, immediately followed by File/New Topic. At that point, with one topic (screen shot #1), I created a style sheet and changed the H1 font from Times 22pt to Arial 18pt and clicked OK. Visually, nothing happened, as you can see in the screen shots. The style sheet is in the code, however (screen shot #2), and my changes to it were saved--the screenshot of the Styles dialog box (screen shot #3) was taken after I changed the font and reopened the dialog. I didn't change any locations of files or anything like that, just accepted whatever was there.

styles 1.jpgstyles 3.jpgstyles 2 .jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that Desktop is selected in Media.

I think Robohelp uses the (none) Media style to display the text in the editor. So if you make this change only for the Desktop output, then you wouldn't see it until you generate and view that particular output/screen size (depending on which output you are generating).

(I'm using RH11, but I assume RH10 would work in a similar way.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some background: When selecting a media, RH will use the definition for that media from the CSS. If you didn't make any styling for that media, RH could get confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Willam. I'm unfamiliar with the settings for this, but I did see the media setting and left it on Desktop, which was the default. I assumed that's the one I'd need for CHM--?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I only generate CHM, and the font change didn't appear there. <?>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have your project and will look no later than tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I opened your CSS it was written as below.

/*Created with Adobe RoboHelp 10.*/

h1 {

font-size: 18pt;

}

}

p {

}

}

That was because, as Amebr had picked up, you must have had Desktop setting in the media dropdown when you applied the style. The result is that if you are viewing in any less than 1024px, Arial will not be applied and you will get the browser default on the user's machine.

With media set to None, I defined h1 and p again using Rh's CSS editor and the following was appended.

h1 {

font-weight: bold;

font-size: 22pt;

margin-top: 14pt;

margin-bottom: 14pt;

margin-left: 0pt;

margin-right: 0pt;

page-break-after: avoid;

}

p {

margin-top: 14pt;

margin-bottom: 14pt;

margin-left: 0pt;

margin-right: 0pt;

}

Go back to your real project and define your styles with media set to None. Take a copy of the exising CSS first for safety. Delete any styles with media rules applied.

Create the styles by right clicking and using CSS Editor. Clean up by right clicking and using HTML Editor (the css will open in Rh and you can work on it as if in a text editor.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. Changing the media to "(none)" did do the trick. So, "(none)" is all-purpose unless you're developing only for a specific type of media?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be truer to say "(none)" is the stuff you want to apply to all your media targets. Then you define the differences in each type of media.

e.g.

Maybe you always want your headings to be blue and in the Impact font, and generally 24pt size. Define those in (none).

But you know that 24pt will be too big on a mobile phone, so then you'd select "Phone" and define the size to be 12pt.

If you then generate a Desktop output, the style defined in (none) will apply, because you have specified a difference for Desktop.

(Sorry for the fonts, feeling quixotic .

Also, I'm speaking from a purely CSS point of view, as I'm still getting to grips with RH, and it's possible that RH interface quirks might mean a slightly different workflow would be preferable. But I stick by the theory at this stage. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I get it. Sounds like "none" will be the one for me in any case, because my output isn't used on phones, etc. Thanks for the clarification!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp