Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Architect can't figure out how to set up CSH

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

INFO: RH10 to HTML5 output.

I'm not sure what the actual issue is, but he's trying to figure out the parameters he needs to set up in the system in order to call the appropriate topic for the appropriate app page/screen.

I've explained the alias and header files, but somehow he's not able to follow the info from the Willam van Weelden site to make that work.

here are the test urls showing what he's set up, but they aren't working - they are still calling the default topic... not the topic that is mapped via RH to the url.  He's tried using both the value number and the topic ID - neither is working:

file:///D:/Source/Solutions/Dev/Version8/DotNet/cj-Build/bin/Debug/run/webhelp/desktop/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapno=3

file:///D:/Source/Solutions/Dev/Version8/DotNet/cj-Build/bin/Debug/run/webhelp/desktop/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=Solutions_UI_ClientChart_General_ClientDetailsNew

Here is the info I provided to him from William's site: Context Sensitivity in Multiscreen/Responsive HTML5 | WvanWeelden.eu

So, I'm not sure what's going wrong... in the past, a Developer has set up a script in the app,  I have set up the map IDs, published my project, etc... I've never really had to worry about the developer doing anything for me other than just setting up the initial scrip.  I think that's what our architect is trying to do, but he's not sure how to do that.

It looks to me like there's info missing from his tests strings above... but what the heck do I know... can someone take a look at this and give it your best shot as to what he's missing?

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE YOU CAN PROVIDE.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they using the API that RH provides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok.. i know I sound like a complete moron asking these questions, but i've never had to be involved this far down into the process.. as i stated in my original post.  Usually, I map everything and then publish.. the developer has done the rest from his side.

I was reading about the API file.. but it's located in the RH program files according to this link:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/RoboHelp/8.0/RoboHTML/WSFE586D66-E937-45bd-9F7B-3425A0D02B42.html

but the developer doesn't have access to my program files... so in that case, what is to be done?  I am sorry if my questions continue to be so aggravating and stupid, but i am (OBVIOUSLY) at a total loss as is the architect.. i just keep saying "it shouldn't be this hard".. it's NEVER been this complicated before.

Again, my apologies for my stupidity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’re going to use the API, you have to copy it from your workstation and give it to them to include in their build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEAH... that isn't going to happen.. i think they are going to work around using the alias/hdr files..

thanks tho.. sorry to have bothered you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What’s the difference between an “architect” and a developer? You said it used to work, so what’s changed? In my case, a looked at the flavours for launching CSH that RH offers, showed the developers each flavour & said to them to pick one. It’s a .NET app so they use the VB.NET one I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's one thing that springs to mind if I read this post: What browser and what version are you using? If you are using an old version of Internet explorer, it may give problems trying to call the help when it called from disc. Can you try with another browser (Google Chrome, Firefox) or place the help on a web server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeff Coatsworth -  to answer your questions, an architect (as it seems to me as this is the first time i've worked with anyone with that title) is that they are "specialized" developers... they basically decide how the app is structured within the code - and how it's going to play with other apps and things like help.

As for the comment that it "used" to work.. that was at my old job... these guys don't seem to have much experience with implementing help.... the ones that are already hear that worked to get the old help system in place did it probably 8 or 10 years ago... the new guy doesn't really know how to use an alias file, etc...

and to answer both you and Willam, well... he's now decided since they can't figure out the alias/hdr file implementation, they just want me to name the topic files after the urls within the application - which is more work for me in a way, but whatever... but this way they just tell the app to match the url file name in help with the screen name in the app...

Sorry for the trouble... 😕

Hope you have a happy week ahead.  Thanks to you both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp