3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2007 7:07 AM by Sivakanesh

How do I write in a variable what a user writes in an inputTextField?

Venian Level 2
      I want what is written by a user in an inputTextField to be written down in a variable for further use. I want the action to be triggered when i press "Enter".

Can someone help me?

Thanks very much.
        • 1. Re: How do I write in a variable what a user writes in an inputTextField?
          Sivakanesh Level 1
          If you know how to create classes in actionscript then you can store the values in the Class members. However if you don't the quickest way to store a value is
          _root.yourVariableName = "your value";

This will exist for the live of your movie and can be accessed by MCs at all levels.

To get a function triggered on Enter you need to add an eventListner for your TextBox.

Key.removeListener(nameOfYourTextBox);
          nameOfYourTextBox.onKeyDown = function(){
          if(Key.isDown(Key.ENTER)){
          //functionToExecute();
          }
          }
          Key.addListener(nameOfYourTextBox);
          • 2. Re: How do I write in a variable what a user writes in an inputTextField?
            Venian Level 2
            it doesn't work.

I have like this. frame 1 an input field in which i write something. on <Enter> i want it to move to frame 2 but also to record the text in a variable. on frame 2 i have a dinamicTextBox (created at authoring time) in which i want to be written what is written in the variable, being given that the variable contains what was written in the input text field.
            • 3. How do I write in a variable what a user writes in an inputTextField?
              Sivakanesh Level 1
              Well it all depends on where you have put the code;
              Put the code below on Frame1. Assuming the instance name of your inputcontrol is 'nameOfYourTextBox'.

Key.removeListener(nameOfYourTextBox);
              nameOfYourTextBox.onKeyDown = function(){
              if(Key.isDown(Key.ENTER)){
              trace("enter key is pressed");
              _root.myVar = nameOfYourTextBox.text;
              gotoAndPlay(2);
              }
              }
              Key.addListener(nameOfYourTextBox);
              stop();

If your inputbox name is different then change it in the above code. There are 3 places in the code.
              in frame 2, trace the variable _root.myVar to makesure you have picked it up.