• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash update insists on installing McAfee software!

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today - January 29th, 2015 - I just tried TWICE to install the latest Flash Player update, and both times, it wanted to include McAfee Security Check or something like that. There was **NO CHECKBOX** to disable this unwanted software. I cancelled the first installation and ran it again just to be sure I had not missed a checkbox, since Adobe tends to make these things inconspicuous.

Is there a way to get the latest update without the unwanted "bonus"? I went to this page:

Adobe Flash Player - Downloads

.....but there's a warning: The files contained on this page are for Flash developers only.  All other users should download Flash Player from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.

That would just lead me around in a circle, right back to the download which includes the McAfee crap.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember this issue from a couple of years ago, and again last year.  Replies on the board indicate that there is always a box to uncheck if you don't want MacAfee, which most of us don't.  Well, I know there isn't one because it happened again today and I took screenshots to prove it.  Here is the first screen,

screenshot-get adobe com 2015-01-29 14-45-07.png

and the second one.

screenshot-get adobe com 2015-01-29 14-46-42.png

and the third one simply installs directly.  I backed out three times and even closed the browser and restarted again to be sure - no checkbox anywhere.

My system is Win7- 64bit, Firefox 34, and an old enough version of Flash player that Firefox would not let me run it without upgrading on every window I opened.  Very annoying of Firefox.  Very, very,. VERY annoying of Adobe to insist that there's no problem with their install when there clearly is.

Perhaps the "uncheck macAfee box" is itself a flash element? Would you call that a problem with Firefox then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ancientangler

Do you have some type of ad-blocker software installed?  We're aware of some ad-blockers that block the offer, so users are unable to see it and unselect the checkbox.

@zalmonella,

What is the name of the file that is being downloaded?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just solved the problem. Firefox was blocking Flash everywhere including your update page. When I clicked "Allow", it revealed the "optional offer" panel where you stuck the McAfee annoyance.

I suspect your programmers must be a bit wet behind the ears. They should foresee that this will happen, and make that center panel visible without Flash being necessary. If users are visiting the update page, there's a pretty good probability that Flash has been blocked because so many of us use Firefox. That panel should be coded in simple HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I will forward your feedback to the appropriate folks.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reality, this shouldn't be happening to begin with. It's obnoxious. Everyone dislikes it. I mean everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually unable to reproduce the behaviour you describe.  I installed an older version of Flash Player (15.0.0.152) and navigated to get.adobe.com/flashplayer using Firefox 35 and the McAfee offer displayed.  The offer does not contain Flash, therefore, it would not be blocked by an out-dated Flash Player version, that is being blocked by the browser:

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beats me. I just described exactly what happened on my end. By the way, I'm not running any ad blocking software of any kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  And yet you see on my screen shots that Lightroom is the optional offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

There are actually a few different adobe.com download URLs.  Can you provide me with the exact URL that you downloaded install_flashplayer16x32_mssa_aaa_aih.exe from?  It's not included in your original screenshot.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The installer binary does not bring up a link; however if I allow the download to begin and then cancel, I can get back to a start page ("Step 1")  which is http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.  This allows me to go back and restart the download of the binary from http://aihdownload.adobe.com ("Step 2") .  That page shows up as

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_16_for_Firefox_-_NPAPI&os=Windows%207&browse...

Then I'm right back in the same place - run the binary which downloads flash and McAfee without any option to refuse the McAfee.

In the meanwhile, I've backed down to Firefox 29 from 34 just to see if there are any differences - none.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and just to make sure, I cleared my browser cache and tried it again - same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a FF forum, found this link:

http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

which is quite helpful as it simply downloads the Flash Player.  I'll try it and install it and see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've just found the problem. Years ago, I used the 32-bit upgrade (I see by my old files it was 2010) and so it must have stayed on that path. I have a 64-bit processor, and was never offered an option to update to the 64-bit version.

I uninstalled Flash, and then downloaded the 64-bit version.  The MacAfee option then shows up, and I can deselect it.

No change in operation of Flash - still works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue.

Flash Player supports both 32- and 64-bit platforms in a single installer.  If the system is 32-bit, it'll only install the 32-bit version.  If a system is 64-bit it'll automatically install both the 32- and 64-bit versions.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria.  File is install_flashplayer16x32_mssa_aaa_aih.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines