• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Firefox not recognizing the Adobe Flash Player version. It still thinks it needs to be updated.

Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I run WinXp Media Ctr, on a Dell XPS 410 2.9 Dual Core System with 4 Gig of Ram.  I have the newest version of Firefox.  When I go to check to see if any of my Plugin's are outdated, it flags the Adobe Flash Player Shockwave Flash 16.0 vulnerable 16.0.0.235.

Also it flags the "Outdated"

Adobe Flash Player Real Networks Real Downloader Pepper Flash Video Shim Plug-In vulnerable 1.3.3.66

When I download the file: install_flashplayer16x32_mssd_aaa_aih.exe and closed Firefox and Ran it, it said the Flashplayer installed ok.  It gave me the same file name to install to fix the "Outdated" Flash video ship plug-in.  After installing both, and Firefox claiming to have installed them correctly.  I ran the Plug-in Status utility again, and it keeps saying the two are still outdated.  It's not recognizing that the files have been updated.

I went to the adobe flash webpage and checked the version there, and it says I have the Current Version installed.  So Firefox is not reading the correct version.  I also notice frequently that shockwave flash player and Plugin-container crash a lot when there's a lot of tabs running while playing online games and/or facebook games.  I've already gone to the Flash player settings window and maxed the storage for them.

What can I do?

Thanx,

Timby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you rebooted your computer since installing Flash Player?  It's normally not required, but probably a good first step in this case.

If that's not working, you may need to do a fresh install (or a refresh) of Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is that the Adobe file DESCRIPTION for the file you just downloaded is 16.0r0, but the actual file is the .296 version.  (I think the .235 version is also vulnerable.  I downloaded today and got the .296 version.)

we need Adobe to fix the file description.  You can verify this by putting in the browser "about:plugins".

If you have the same issue I'm seeing you will see:

File: NPSWF32_16_0_0_296.dll
Path: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_16_0_0_296.dll
Version: 16.0.0.296
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0
If you then go to the file in the PATH comment above, right click on the file and look at PROPERTIES you can see how the file is mis-labeled.  It must be that firefox is using that lable to derive the version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've found I can't seem to remove Shockwave Flash 16.0.0.235 .   I've run the uninstaller, gone into the Windows/system32/Macromed folder and removed the flash files there, I've restarted both Windows Xp and firefox and it still claims to see the Shockwave Flash 16.0.0.235 version 16.0.r0 in the add-ons manager Plugins Section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines