• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign will not run: Do not have sufficient permissions

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed InDesign CC and this is the second CC app I've had trouble getting to run (Dreamweaver being the other one).

When I try launching, I get an error: "Unable to Launch Adobe InDesign as you do not have sufficient permissions to access the preference folders. Ensure...blah, blah"

I'm using a Mac with Mavericks (latest current version) and the latest InDesign (updated this moning).

I read than font names with special characters can cause this problem. I found one and deleted it. No change. Also ran the disc utility to repair permissions. No Adobe permission errors came up and I still get the same message.

There is no Crash report pop-up, so I don't know where to find that - if there is one.

I have no idea what to do now. Help!

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Hello All. I ran into this same issue.

Peter the information you provided was very helpful, thank you! However, I am not experienced and required a little more help (specific steps). I contacted Adobe CC Technical Support but the call dropped in the middle of trying to resolve the issue (go figure!). I pieced together the direction I received from Adobe CC Technical Support along with the direction you provided in this Forum and after a bit of trial and error, I was finally able to resolve the i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the exact same thing happen Sunday.

My Mac crashed badly with InDesign and other apps open.

Went to restart and ID wouldn't open.

Trashed prefs. No go.

Uninstalled ID.

Restarted Mac.

Went to reinstall, but CC app said app was still installed.

Signed out of CC, signed back in. ID listed as not installed.

Went to install CC. Install failed in the middle at "patch".

Restarted Mac.

Tried several times. Lots of permissions problems. Finally got it to install.

ID CC didn't show up in installed apps.

Signed out of CC.

Signed back in.

ID listed as installed.

ID launched.

Still working (knock wood).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to waht Sandee has said, there was a bug in some earlier versions, and it may still be there, that the installer failed to correctly set the permissions on the folders in the User library. You can see the paths by going to Replace Your Preferences and then manuall set the permissions if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both, Sandee and Peter -

I went through the process - Sandee's first, without any difficulty - Tried to run ID again and received the same error.

Went through Peter's manual process (there was nothing in the "Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 9.0/" folder). Tested again, with the same result.

Any other ideas?

Thank you,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There would be nothing in the folder since you can't write to it. Did you check the permissions on the folder, and the folders above it in the path? And there are TWO folders that ID needs to write to, one in ~library/preferences/, and one in ~library/caches/. And be sure you are looking at the USER library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter. That was it.

Added read/write permissions for me, and it opened perfectly.

I'd have thought that when the installation process created the folder, it would do so with the required permissions.

What threw me after your first post, is that Version 9 had exactly the same permissions as Version 7 (CS5) - so I assumed that was the way it was meant to be.

Many thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hippyman wrote:

I'd have thought that when the installation process created the folder, it would do so with the required permissions.

Yeah, that's why it's a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2013 Dec 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been experiencing the problem initially listed here. I am running Mavericks and I downloaded the trial version of InDesign from Creative Cloud. I do not have a Library folder in my User folder – is there an alternative place I should check for InDesign's preferences and cache?

Thanks!

-Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2013 Dec 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All. I ran into this same issue.

Peter the information you provided was very helpful, thank you! However, I am not experienced and required a little more help (specific steps). I contacted Adobe CC Technical Support but the call dropped in the middle of trying to resolve the issue (go figure!). I pieced together the direction I received from Adobe CC Technical Support along with the direction you provided in this Forum and after a bit of trial and error, I was finally able to resolve the issue.

I wanted to share this in hopes of helping others in need of “step by step” direction.

Step 1:

In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder.

Step 2:

In the Go To Folder dialog and type

~/Library

Click Go.

Step 3:

Open the Caches Folder > Open the InDesign folder > select Version 9.0 and Right Click to select Get Info

• Unlock the Security lock in the bottom right hand corner

• Under Sharing and Permissions, Click the “+” to add User (yourself) will display under Name

• Under Privilege it will say Read Only, change this to Read & Write

• Then select the Settings Icon (cogwheel) and Select Apply to Enclosed Items

Step 4A:

Open the Preferences Folder > Open the InDesign folder > select Version 7.0 and Right Click to select Get Info

- Follow the same bullet point steps listed above under Step 3

Step 4B:

In the same InDesign folder > select Version 9.0 and Right Click to select Get Info

- Follow the same bullet point steps listed above under Step 3

As mentioned I went through a bit of Trial and Error before I resolved the issue. ABOVE are the final steps taken to successfully launch Adobe InDesign. I had two computers to setup, I followed these steps on the second computer and immediately fixed the issue! 

Thank you Peter and Sandee for your comments, I learned from them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have been trying to figure it out for a couple of weeks! This worked and I am good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your brilliant. Thank you. What a day trying to work this out and the demands of clients. Finally. Thank you all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am having the same issue. everything installed, but when I do not have the ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign folder but I do have a ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 10.0 folder. Seems like I have failed to install it correctly, however I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times now, with the same outcome.

Do you have any ideas about how I can fix this?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also have this issue with update 10.0. I have checked all the permissions within ~/library...10.0 and InDesign CC 2014 itself, even the file to be sure. Still giving me the same error. Did you ever figure this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you or anyone else manage to find a solution on 10.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just substitute version 10 for version 9 in the paths listed above...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the directions that krisk0626 listed, I did that for 10.0.  All of permissions are read/right, including myself listed in there.    Adobe Indesign still crashes and I get that message listed above. Thanks.Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 5.29.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the parent folder, too, and don't forget, there were two folders you need to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! You know what, that worked. It was the second folder I missed. I really appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that might be it. ID is different from most programs in using two locations for the prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! This worked for me once I did "GET INFO" and changed the permissions (Added myself for one of them) to BOTH the cache and preferences folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx a lot, it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Finally after two weeks of "trial and error" I have got Indesign CC 2014 to work. This problem seems to be quite common with the latest download. Adobe shoud have some kind of info about this in "Troubleshooting"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! Frustration Dissipated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines