Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

tracking number + url update via api

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Guys,

i am currently using an API (onesaas)  to update our order status and send order to our distributor.

we need to update the tracking number + tracking url in the BC system.

is there any way that this can be done?

thanks in advance for the help.

TOPICS
3rd party integration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not available yet I am afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just implemented this for a BC customer it is totally possible, just not with OneSaas, you also have to store the tracking number in a different field in BC because there is no API access to the actual tracking field (not even in v3) but you can still do it. I also integrated shipping labels and printing of them all from in the admin side of BC.

This is a custom solution not using OneSaas and price of implementation will depend on the distributor you are using but I've done this solution for several clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input on this.

What field are you using to store the tracking number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Combination of shipping instructions (details in admin tool) and shipping attention, it means you can pump out the tracking number in a tag as well. Using them will also obviously stop the customer from using them when checking out, so it's a trade off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. We are already using the shipping attention field for another purpose so I am not sure how this would work for us.

Is there other tags you can use?

Something like: for example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only what BC offers, I used shipping attention because the client wanted to be able to show the tracking number to customers on an order page and generate a URL (to see the tracking page). You could use any other field if you wanted, you could even add a custom CRM field (and update it via the API) and use that but I'm not sure if OneSaas supports that.

BC hasn't even included the tracking URLs and a bunch of other fields in v3 of the API so can't tell you when it is going to be available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bit strange that the fields are present on the invoice but cant be updated by api. i am sure I am not the first customer to be disappointed by ths.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it's depressing how easy it would be to allow this (2 hours of work maybe?) but the BC dev's seem to be busy trying to make cool looking example code and documentation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know.

It seems that every time I want to do something that my competition is doing well the business catalyst system does not allow it.

I would have thought that this would be a standard feature in this day and age. Every customer wants their tracking number and url the day they make their order and BC expects us to input these manually.

Thanks for your help on this also. I am working with onesaas to see if they can do the custom field idea and push the info to this.

I will keep you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The BC Engineers do not do the documentation, Mihai does with help from other partners.

BC is Currently doing the site migrations to the new rendering engine, which includes the new API (which is continued to be added to) and once they do that one of the next important tasks is Oauth implementation to allow the new API to run 3rd party.

I think it is a bit silly complaining where 1. The statement is not true and 2. BC are actually doing what people been wanting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liam,

What do you mean by “the statement is not true”? Can you please clarify this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

theBCMan said

the BC dev's seem to be busy trying to make cool looking example code and documentation

This is untrue, because the support team handle that and specifically one of the team members Mihai who works very hard on the docs, especially considering the big jumps in BC features of late and the work to implement.

If they did not have someone doing this then people would complain there is no documentation. Like with the new API and the work to make that more detailed over previous lack of API documentation.

AND they have people like me helping update that in my free time. So anyway you look at such a thought or statement that is not true.

And if you look at API stuff - Your not wrong, it has been bad. But all the work they doing at the moment is sorting that side of things along with other stuff. LONG way to go of course, but anyone complaining even though they are doing it... Again I think that, for me is a bit silly.

If you look at the docs:

http://docs.businesscatalyst.com/dev-assets/reference#!/api-endpoints/index.html

All the V3 API is new just in the last few months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In terms of "changes with BC" there has been many recently but only because BC hasn't changed really in the last 4-5 years...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no disputing that, But there is a constructive way to get BC going forward and to help drive that, and then there is just complaining even when the things being complained about is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've offered my own free time many times to help improve BC but never been taken up on the offer, not even the acceptance of bug's I've reported, so I think everyone including myself has the right to complain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in what way, in any shape or form was your statement, similar to several on the forums any help, even true or accurate?

All bugs posted in the developer forum or through tickets are logged and looked at and I can see Radu for example has responded to you before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll have to agree to disagree, I've offered my help to improve BC many times and my free time committed to the forums to helping and educating people as well much like yourself. I would very much like to get in ear shot of some of the devs and planners of BC as there are many things I would like to offer assistance and help to and not just "template improvements" but core functionality that could be improved.

This possible bug was never addressed, it was only on the 2nd page and not hard to find:

Shipping instructions / Shipping attention database insert bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On that - Yep because I do not see you doing what you said.

The link you posted. Did you make a ticket so it goes into the system fully? But I am pretty sure that is already logged as a bug, probably why that post has not got a reply.

But as you just did a statement about the BC team here, as in other threads... You just bashed them with an untrue statement that is not called for. But then you want them to listen to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a note that is a good post on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi guys,

just checking if there has been any update on this issue?

it would be great to have the tracking number and url available for customers.

has anyone seen a time line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been no changes in the API to allow this yet, but you can store a tracking number in another field like custom1 if you really need it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. We are using our distributors notification system to get this info out there. It is not great but it is the easiest we have to date.

I have checked with onesaas and they cant do the custom field sync.

Thanks for the help. I will wait for BC to update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drop me a line if you need it now, I've developed this for other customers, ie putting the tracking numbers into other fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

just checking to see if this is possible on BC yet?

i believe there has been an overhaul (or is due shortly) to allow all fields available by api.

does anyone have any info on this?

thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines