• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Repeated refresh or regeneration of clip thumbnails

Contributor ,
Dec 20, 2014 Dec 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm editing in PPRO CC 2014.2 I have noticed now that each time I set a IN AND OUT MARKERS either in the SOURCE WINDOW or do a insert clip onto the SEQUENCE PANE,  all the thumbnails of each clip in the Project window and on the sequence

completely go blank to regenerate or refresh the image of the thumbnail per each clip.

I have to wait until the regeneration is done before I can continue.

I have the Latest desktop MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core INtel Xeon with 32 gigs of ram.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

2015.3 is out. Hopefully we can all put this to bed now, after two years.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 268 Replies 268
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2014 Dec 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Loveppro11,

Never seen that. Can you make a video capture of the issue and post it for us to see?

Also, the bug report form is here: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2015 Jan 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens on either of our macs.(27"iMac i7 lots of ram high spec etc etc.) Now on the timeline there is CONSTANT refreshing of thumbnails every time ANY alteration is made to ANYTHINg. Even altering audio clip length.

I have read numerous posts where there is a mention of thumbnail/icon issue. This is making my project unworkable. I am trying to find work around, but you can't get picture playback while thumbnails are regenerating. Spotted that this post was 1 month ago-has the problem gone away or been rectified?

Cheers

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 30, 2015 Dec 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, I posted this one a while ago.

Still having the Christmas Tree Issue on PPRO 2015 - See movie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, each time I touch anything I have to wait for all my thumbnails on the timeline to refresh.

If i reboot my system it goes away for awhile.

I have 32 gigs of ram on my 6 core new Macpro less than a year old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a fix? 2022 and I'm still having this same issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, Premiere 2014.2 OS X Yosemite 10.10.2.

I made a video that shows the problem, the only thing I'm doing is starting and stopping playback. The thumbnails regenerate on nearly every pause, though it happens with all other timeline interactions as well. It makes Premiere almost unusable in large timelines or with clips that have a lot of effects. I use Premiere professionally almost every day and this seems to have popped up in the last two months. Big problem!

Dropbox - premiere-thumbrefresh.mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, has been driving me nuts for over a month now.

I also made a video here to demonstrate it, although this is fairly tame compared with how bad it can get: http://youtu.be/sS8lVpR846E

Whilst this is just with one layer of footage the problem is magnified 10 times over when the timeline is full of clips and effects, as mentioned above. It happens when I scroll, when I zoom, when I hit the play button and sometimes randomly making cuts or other timeline functions. It has got so distracting I have just turned all thumbnails off now which isn't ideal.

Mine runs on:

MacPro

Processor  3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory  32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics  AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

Software  OS X 10.9.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed this also happens with non-timeline interactions such as saving, or simply clicking outside the application and then clicking back in. It's also the waveforms in addition to just the clip thumbnails. Hopefully this helps the engineering team narrow down the cause. Here's another video to demonstrate: Dropbox - premeire-thumbrefresh-save.mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WithersDigital,

Stephen Withers wrote:

Just noticed this also happens with non-timeline interactions such as saving, or simply clicking outside the application and then clicking back in. It's also the waveforms in addition to just the clip thumbnails. Hopefully this helps the engineering team narrow down the cause. Here's another video to demonstrate: Dropbox - premeire-thumbrefresh-save.mov

Thanks for creating the movie and illustrating your problem. I assume you are also on a Mac? Can you tell me more about it (CPU, RAM, GPU)? Which OS are you running? What kind of media?

BTW, I am not seeing this at all on my Mac Book Pro (OS X 10.8.5), i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 650M with H.264 (DSLR) source footage.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might only happen when a project gets to a certain size. It seems to be related to the fact that something in Premiere seems to swallow all ram at some stage-can anyone else on a mac check their activity monitor and see what their RAM is doing?

Maybe 32gig is just not enough!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi StretchDaveA,

Have you updated to Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2), or is this a Premiere Pro CC 2014.1 (8.1) issue?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Kevin,

This video was made on a Hackintosh but I've also experienced the problem on a client's Mac Pro 6,1 w/64GB of ram. Media is h264 DSLR footage, as well as 48,000 Hz 24 bit wav's.

My system:

2x 6 core Xeon E5-2630 2.3Ghz

32GB ECC Ram

GeForce 580 GTX 3072mb

OSX 10.10.2

Premiere Pro CC 2014.2

It is not a RAM issue, I actually had the Activity Monitor open when I made the above video and it hovered around 2.7GB, increasing by 500mb or so every time the thumbnail refresh problem kicked in. It happens on small projects with only 1-2GB ram used as well as larger projects w/ heavy effects and up to 20GB ram used. Obviously it takes a lot longer to refresh the thumbs on the heavy projects, which is more of an issue.

Also it does not necessarily happen immediately upon opening the project and editing. However the problem usually starts kicking in fairly quickly. Occasionally it gets better for an hour, but is always prevalent throughout my day of editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Have you had any luck re-creating this issue? Please let me know if I can be of any help. As of now I can't use 8.1-8.2 without getting bogged down in thumbnail refreshes after working for 20-30 minutes. Almost had a psychotic break when I was trying to line up two clips based on the waveforms, and the waveform/thumbnails disappeared as soon as I started dragging and wouldn't re-appear until the clip was released. I've had to revert my active projects back to 8.0.1 with the old UI style which does not have this issue. I'm pretty sure the issue started with 8.1 in October, and will confirm when I'm done with the current edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Withers Digital,

Have you had any luck re-creating this issue? Please let me know if I can be of any help.

No, I can't recreate it yet. Seems to be a Mac only OS X 10.9 and OS X 10.10 issue. The GPU does not seem to matter. What kind of footage are you seeing this with? Does this happen with other kinds of footage? Does this happen with shorter timelines, as well?

Do you install extensions for your browser? The Pushbullet extension for Chrome has been known to interfere with performance when dragging items in the Timeline. See if you have installed anything recently.

As of now I can't use 8.1-8.2 without getting bogged down in thumbnail refreshes after working for 20-30 minutes.

I know it's not a solution, but you can turn these off from the Timeline Display Settings menu (wrench). You can also set a keyboard shortcut to toggle them on or off.

I'm pretty sure the issue started with 8.1 in October, and will confirm when I'm done with the current edit.

Thanks for any feedback you can give. For sure, all on this thread should file a bug here: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like, with the exception of the OP who had this on an iMac in addition to his Mac Pro, everyone's got Mac Pro's or at least towers with Xeon's. Kevin, since you're not on the same hardware or OS, is there any way you guys can set up a Mac Pro system with 10.9 or 10.10 to confirm and fix this bug?

It's not related to a Chrome browser extension - I don't run Chrome. However once my current edit is complete, I will update to 8.2 and test it out to see if it's any other app interfering such as Safari or iTunes. If I can start reliably reproducing the bug I'll also try with strictly ProRes footage to see if it's related to h264 files, just to narrow down the possible causes. I'll re-file my bug report with the updated info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to do some testing on a new edit (about 30-40 clips) and it got to a point where the thumbnails were refreshing constantly. I then closed all open apps (iTunes, Safari, IM) and the refresh issue went completely away. I opened the apps back up and the refresh issue instantly came back. I repeated this several times and ran a screen cap:  Dropbox - apps-issue.mov

I isolated the problem to Safari. I tried Chrome (normally not open) and it did refresh once or twice, but not nearly as much as Safari.

I then went into a large edit (hundreds of clips, mixed formats, lots of effects) to see if closing the open programs would solve the refresh issue. It did made no difference, unfortunately. The project reliably refreshes on every UI interaction, with or without the programs open. I'll see if I can transcode the footage from this project to ProRes LT overnight just to see what that does -- though it's going to be a massive render job.

So, it seems in the context of smaller projects, closing browsers does make a difference. Can anyone else do some testing to confirm?

Cheers,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 28, 2015 Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually reboot my MacPro and it fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution to it yet? I have the same problem, but then i purge the RAM via terminal sudo, its gone until my RAM is full again. I am on Yosemite 10.2 and have 32 GB RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Zoltan - how do you purge the ram with terminal sudo? I'd like to try that on my imac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open terminal, type in

sudo purge

Then hit Return. You'll be prompted for your admin password and then it should take a second to run. There is no confirmation. You can watch the "Cached Files" number in the Memory tab of Activity Monitor to see the change.

I always quit Premiere first, but I'm not sure that's necessary. Maybe I'll try not quitting in an hour when I need to do this again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok since this is obviously happening with a lot of people is there any way you guys can test on recent hardware and OS to replicate this problem? No one here is using 10.7. I'm willing to bet if you try to edit a large project (like a two hour event or a wedding) with 2014.2 on OS X 10.9.x or 10.10.x you WILL encounter this problem. It happens on my desktop, laptop, and my client's desktop as well, not to mention the other people in this thread.

I've already filed two bug reports, but here's recapping what I know in convenient bullet-list format to share with the engineers:

- It started with version 8.1

- It happens on both OS X 10.9 and 10.10

- This issue happens in every project I work on with h264 DSLR media.

- It happens with both thumbnails and audio waveforms, so it is related to the general UI refreshing and not specifically video thumbnails.

- It happens slightly less frequently (but NOT fixed completely) if I transcode all files to ProRes (and kiss my hard drive space goodbye).

- It happens slightly less frequently (but NOT fixed completely) if Safari and iTunes are closed, particularly Safari.

- It seems to not be related to RAM usage (have 32gb of ram and the issue happens if Premiere is taking up only a small fraction or a very large portion)

- It is not related to specific video cards (happens on client's Mac Pro 6,1 which is AMD, also on all of my nVidia machines)

- Disabling clip thumbnails and audio waveforms does not solve the issue, I can still tell the whole program is pausing (almost like a drop frame) while the timeline refreshes. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Withers Digital,

Ok since this is obviously happening with a lot of people is there any way you guys can test on recent hardware and OS to replicate this problem? No one here is using 10.7. I'm willing to bet if you try to edit a large project (like a two hour event or a wedding) with 2014.2 on OS X 10.9.x or 10.10.x you WILL encounter this problem. It happens on my desktop, laptop, and my client's desktop as well, not to mention the other people in this thread.

Sorry! I'm now on OS X 10.10.2 and still not seeing this issue. I have a project with a couple hundred clips and an hour long timeline. No difference.

I did erase the entire system before updating to Yosemite, however. I also checked permissions for all the Adobe folders in my system. It's running great, save for the NVIDIA driver that makes me avoid CUDA (I run Open CL for now).

Please file a bug report if you have not already and I'll try to get this issue more attention from my side of things: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix for this well known issue reported back from December 2014?

I'm editing, or trying to edit a documentary, the experience is a pain.

The video thumbnails and audio waveforms on my sequence timeline refresh constantly every time I hit play, stop, zoom in, zoom out, cut etc...

- 180hrs of footage aprox.

- DSLR 5D EOS Mark III, 7D(1080 23.98) and some B-Roll GoPro Hero 3(1080 29.97)

- 7min Sequence (my progress is to slow because editing process its unbearable)

- Disabling clip thumbnails and audio waveforms does not solve the issue, even watching my edit the performance is lagging, no fluid play.

On the other hand I'm editing a feature film, and the expirience is less painful than the documentary.

Every now and then when I razor cut an audio clip it bring the beachball of death. Only solution is to Force Quit Premier and pray that you saved before or have some luck if Autosaved your...

Exporting a OMF or AAF from Premier its almost impossible without trial and error and work arounds.

- 36hrs of footage aprox

- ARRI ALEXA ProRess 4444(2K 23.98) transcode to ProRes HQ(2K 23.98)

- 1hr45min Sequence

I come from a family of filmmakers, this is what we do. Im a Professional and a Power User. I make a living out of this. I have 13 years in the business and I take my job seriously. I only use professional software.

Are we out in the woods?

Adobe...

Premier Pro CC 2014.2

OSX Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D136)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

MacHD

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

OWC ThunderBay 4 Raid 5

OWC Elite Pro Dual

Promise Pegasus R6 Raid 5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines