• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still trying to install flash player. Tried EVERYTHING in forums. Can anyone please help with Windows XP?

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Flash11. ? and kept getting update messages which I ignored for awhile.  Finally gave in & have now had no Flash for 6 months!!!  I've tried to Uninstall & reinstall numerous times. Sometimes part of it stays and shows as installed but doesn't work, even though it says "enabled"  I Uninstalled & reinstalled Firefox.  Online, offline.Tried with  IE, Opera & Firefox.  Tried earlier set points to regain my old FlashPlayer.  Have XP sp3, Athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz 1.5 GB RAM. 

I get Various errors:  "Failed to initialize" "A required file C:/Windows/System32\macromedia\Flash\FlashPlayer update service.exe.5  could not be written due insufficient permissions",  "A required file can't be installed because cabinet file C:/Doc.Set\All user\Appdata\MFAdata\pack\basex.cab has invalid dr--(can't read it) signature.  This may indicate the cabinet file is corrupt",  black screen on initializing,  twisting blue initialize bar that goes on forever,  downloads of only 1 or 3 MB, etc

Another odd thing~Even when I use the direct download from the Adobe site, when opening the Flash Player 16.exe exe/download file, a security warning pops up saying the publisher could not be verified  "Publisher: Unknown" Why doesn't it say Adobe like it does in the samples or help info?  I noticed in my download library that some are by Adobe and other are macromedia...any difference?  I've called Adobe and explained all this.  They told me because of the many problems to skip Flash and install Chrome with it's built in Flash.  I did and it worked for awhile until it was triggering Threatfire.  I would kill and quarantine it.  Then one day it was partially gone and the Flash doesn't work.  Tried to uninstall & reinstall with no luck.  Are there any viable alternatives that can show You Tube, TV shows and online movies or workshops?  I know this is complex~  Many Thanks to whomever can help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WinXP is a security disaster in 2015.  You should really do a fresh install of Windows 7 if at all possible.  You can pick up licenses pretty cheaply at this point.

If that's not feasible:

• Run Windows Update and make sure that you have all of the current available patches
  • Make sure your computer's date and time are correct.
  • Because you're having certificate validation problems, I'm thinking you may need to download and install this:
  • The filesystem permission issues indicate that something is wrong with your filesystem.
    • If you have anything important on your computer, now would be a great time to make sure it's backed up.
      • Lots of mysterious disk problems pop up when your hard disk is on the way out, so take the opportunity to protect your important files.
    • Once you're sure that you have a good copy of the things that matter, I'd start here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
  • Scan your machine for malware.  http://www.malwarebytes.org is a well-respected, free scanner.
  • Delete any copies of the Flash Player installer that you have laying around.
  • Once the disk repair has identified and corrected any problems, then download a fresh copy of the Flash Player installer from here:

If you're still stuck after carefully and completely following the above steps, please let me know and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Robin Ho wrote:

"A required file C:/Windows/System32\macromedia\Flash\FlashPlayer update service.exe.5  could not be written due insufficient permissions"

You need to perform a clean install as described in https://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines