Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera RAW Support for Canon 7D Mark II

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just purchased the Canon 7D Mark II, connected it to my PC, but then found that Adobe Camera RAW doesn't support it yet. Any updates when this camera might be possibly supported? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

It has been indicated on this forum that the camera will be supported in the Camera Raw 8.7 final release. It is NOT supported in the release candidate that is available right now. No release dates, but presumably before the end of the year. Take note that Camera Raw 8.7 is only compatible with Photoshop CS6 (new camera support only) and Photoshop CC (complete support including new features).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been indicated on this forum that the camera will be supported in the Camera Raw 8.7 final release. It is NOT supported in the release candidate that is available right now. No release dates, but presumably before the end of the year. Take note that Camera Raw 8.7 is only compatible with Photoshop CS6 (new camera support only) and Photoshop CC (complete support including new features).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping this comes through fast. My workflow is really screwed until it does. The Canon software DPP has a function to send to Photoshop but it goes right to Photoshop, not the excellent Raw converter Adobe has. I miss clarity, vibrance etc in the conversion. I guess we pay a price for early adoption of the Mark II.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried saving TIF files using DPP, and then opening those in Lightroom? Not the perfect solution, I know. But a workaround until Camera Raw 8.7 is finally released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the DPP / TIFF thing.. it's ok but I shoot a lot of raw files and it won't work for me.. I am confident ADOBE will have it soon..... love the camera, can't wait to take it through its paces. As well lens correction is not supported because it can't read what camera we are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jim, appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would second that. So far, I'm getting decent results from the camera with the workarounds, but I'm pretty sure the results can be hugely improved once the Adobe RAW is ready and I can control everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there seems to be a magic with camera raw.... I am now on the CC and have noticed that the recovery slider is gone but the highlights and whites seem to do a better and more subtle job... I am going to have to adjust my workflow as I do not dive in deep on all my images but still love and will only shoot raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking right now Adobe Customer Service sucks quite frankly.... I too am having the same problem, cannot view period dot, take into LR5 view or CS6.... This camera has been on the horizon for 2 years I know I have been waiting for it.  It arrived yesterday and the only thing available is to shoot jpeg.... Very disappointed.... Tried calling the 1 800 number if you don't subscribe to CC they literally cut you off, seriously..... I have been a what I consider a loyal customer and have upgraded every time handed over my money, and are they really serious right now...... the phone call really ticked me off... Adobe do not get to big for your britches..... If they don't fix this and get a decent customer service system.... I am done, they will not get another dime from me..... are you listening Adobe, don't forget your loyal customers because when your customer service goes to hell in a hand basket, another program by someone else will be just as good and become just as good and they will take over..... NOT happy at all.... If it wanted to shoot JPEG I would have bought a point and shoot for a lot less money...... Not happy did I mention that.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 7D Mark II as well. The situation is nothing to take personally or be upset about nor feel that Adobe is somehow ignoring its customers, nor is there anything Customer Support can do about it. Each camera model must be measured/profiled once it has finalized by the manufacturer and is about ready to be sold.

New camera support is on a schedule of about every 3 months, and the camera has only been available for two weeks at this point. The good news is that the last version of LR came out at the end of July so we’re due for a new release, hopefully. The last public beta of ACR expires at the end of the year and usually the final release comes out weeks ahead of the beta’s expiration.

I’d guess Adobe can support the camera internally, already, based on images I’ve seen on DPReview that were released in September, so it is just a matter of Lightroom Desktop and Lightroom Mobile and the ACR plug-in all being ready and tested for release. All three applications are released simultaneously and a hold up in one can affect the other two. LR Mobile is part of the Apple App Store and everything might be ready, already, and waiting of Apple’s certification process of LR Mobile. It just depends on which product had the last change or bugfix done to it and the amount of testing each change goes through before release.

There are several models of very new cameras that people are waiting for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really tired of this bull - Adobe trying to act like it's Canon keeping the cameras in a super secret vault & they can't get a file to work with until they are physically on the store shelves, which is BS.

I have seen no less than 5 instances where people had these cameras in their hands weeks before the official release & I don't believe for a minute that Canon would not want to help make sure their cameras are supported the minute they hit the shelves.

I have a copy of OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite 9 (just released about 10 days ago) that fully supports the 7D mark II files with no issues whatsoever - so explain that?

I also have Photo Mechanic 5 that reads them just fine - explain that?

The truth of the matter is probably more a matter of cost to change schedules & Adobe not wanting to spend any more money to react to new releases.  They will put out their releases on their established schedules when they get good & ready.  

Would it take ANY effort (or cost) for them to at least put out a communication that states that the camera will definitely be supported in xxx release and that release is scheduled for xxx date?   Answer = no - if they actually cared about their customers.   This disdain for the customer is going to be their undoing.  Companies like OnOne are going to snatch their business away from them while they are asleep at the wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A big difference is the release cycle is a predetermined length at Adobe to keep things from getting out of control in such a large company.

Those other products are very simple and easy to insert a change into and test within a few hours.

Many other products also use an open-source raw conversion library called dcraw instead of having their own like Adobe has and so have very little work to do or responsibility if something fails.

You’re welcome to use those other products and stop using Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2014 Nov 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"A big difference is the release cycle is a predetermined length at Adobe to keep things from getting out of control in such a large company."

Yeah. Right. So smaller companies can roll out updates faster. Smaller companies like, say, Apple? Apple already released their support for the Canon 7D Mark II for Aperture.

The fact that Adobe is not even communicating an official release date is unacceptable to professional photographers.

I don't buy the notion that Canon [or Nikon] ignores Adobe when it comes to providing the specs for RAW. If it really was an issue then they should defend themselves and say "we just got the specs Nov 1 and are working on the update". But instead we get absolutely no information at all. And if you read through the forums this happens with many of the major big brand camera releases. It is a pattern that breeds unrest in the masses, and Adobe needs to fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previsualists wrote:

The fact that Adobe is not even communicating an official release date is unacceptable to professional photographers.

I don't buy the notion that Canon [or Nikon] ignores Adobe when it comes to providing the specs for RAW. If it really was an issue then they should defend themselves and say "we just got the specs Nov 1 and are working on the update". But instead we get absolutely no information at all. And if you read through the forums this happens with many of the major big brand camera releases. It is a pattern that breeds unrest in the masses, and Adobe needs to fix this problem.

Would it really do any good for Adobe to communicate an official release date? If they didn't meet that date then you would just call Adobe a liar. Adobe has users from several different companies waiting for support. And whether you believe it or not, there is no providing of specs from camera makers. They don't care whether Adobe Camera Raw supports the camera. Adobe is just another company to them. Adobe has to purchase each camera and then create the profiles for it. The real solution? Camera makers, agree on a common file format. If you won't do that, then YOU take the blame for this delay that happens about four times every year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it really do any good for Adobe to communicate an official release date? If they didn't meet that date then you would just call Adobe a liar. Adobe has users from several different companies waiting for support. And whether you believe it or not, there is no providing of specs from camera makers. They don't care whether Adobe Camera Raw supports the camera. Adobe is just another company to them. Adobe has to purchase each camera and then create the profiles for it. The real solution? Camera makers, agree on a common file format. If you won't do that, then YOU take the blame for this delay that happens about four times every year.

Actually, it would help, Jim. It does not have to be exact... it would help to know "this quarter" or "by the end of the year" or "mid-December". It would help because I could decide whether to find a workaround patch, or switch to a different system.

The camera makers are more than willing to provide that info, but according to a contact at Canon USA, in 2008 Adobe changed the game and decided to be more proprietary with their compatibility, presumably so that people would be required to upgrade their software every year just to be able to use new camera technology. It was Adobe's decision, and they could easily decide to play nice. But it is an unfair characterization to say that the camera makers don't care if Adobe supports their camera. That is just a silly assertion.

It comes down to he said - she said, and the two companies are simply pointing fingers at each other. Neither you nor I know the absolute truth about who is right... I only know that I am dissatisfied with Adobe's lack of communication, and slow response when compared to other companies, larger and smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, here is a "clue". The Camera Raw 8.7 release candidate that does NOT support this new camera expires the end of December. So it's reasonable to assume that the final release of Camera Raw 8.7 will be before the end of December. But that isn't going to satisfy you, is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words Adobe does provide a clue/hint about the date.

Adobe is a publically traded company with a billion-dollar market capitalization, so they have to be careful what they say. If Adobe gave an official statement about scheduling and somehow missed that or somehow came close compared to other times when they were earlier, it would be an excuse for a stock analyst to forecast a failure or near failure on Adobe’s part to do something they said they would and people would pull their money out of Adobe and they would have less money to pay people or invest in research, all because they want to placate camera owners.

On the cubicle of a helpdesk person here where I work there is a cartoon with the language:

“Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.”

Or a shorter version is “Your mistake is not my emergency.”

If you bought a new camera and sold your old gear to finance it, all before software has been released to support the new camera, then you’ll have to rent a camera to tide you over, not have a temper tantrum hoping mommy will give in and give you want to you want—or in this case wanting Adobe release unready software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ssprengel wrote:

If you bought a new camera and sold your old gear to finance it, all before software has been released to support the new camera, then you’ll have to rent a camera to tide you over, not have a temper tantrum hoping mommy will give in and give you want to you want—or in this case wanting Adobe release unready software.

I am not sure if your response is you trying to be humorous, or just childish. I don't know anybody who fits with that fictitious scenario that you imagined.

But in the real world it comes down to a business decision. On one hand, I could take several hours and learn a new piece of software that will do the trick. I'd have to learn the sliders, the menus, the nuances of the software. On the other hand, I could just waste time going through a multi-step workaround until Adobe releases the RAW converter. It is a business decision as to which route would be less of a waste of my time. Adobe's release estimate would help in determining the best business choice. I don't understand how a logical business decision about time management is a childish cry for mommy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess wrote:

Okay, here is a "clue". The Camera Raw 8.7 release candidate that does NOT support this new camera expires the end of December. So it's reasonable to assume that the final release of Camera Raw 8.7 will be before the end of December. But that isn't going to satisfy you, is it?

Wow. A little cynical, jim? What makes you think that a statement from Adobe saying that it will probably be released before the end of December would not satisfy me? That is the only thing I am asking for. But your "clue" did not come as any kind of post from Adobe. Which is my entire point. They need to say something. I find it odd that you are defending a complete void of help, guidance or information. Whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previsualists wrote:

JimHess wrote:

…What makes you think that a statement from Adobe saying that it will probably be released before the end of December would not satisfy me? That is the only thing I am asking for…

Well, you're not going to get it.

Adobe has a long-standing policy of not commenting on unreleased software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple’s support in Aperture is like the ACR Plug-in for Photoshop, which could have been out already. There’s Lightroom and Lightroom Mobile that actually have changes to them as programs that we’re waiting for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple updated Camera RAW 6.01 and it's compatible with Aperture / Yosemite and Canon 7D Mark II.

I'm temporarily back in business until Adobe updates ACR for my apps of choice; Lightroom 5 & CS6.

I downloaded Camera RAW 6.01 for Apple's Aperture from this address

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1777?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other thing could be that both PPS9 and PM5 are extracting the camera-embedded preview which is not the same as being able to decode the raw data. Reading a JPG out of a file is pretty easy and doesn’t change when a new camera comes out. I have a thumbnail/preview codec for Windows that is several years old and it can see the camera-embedded JPG in my new 7D Mark II.

Another method is for programs to use the Canon (or Nikon or whichever) DLLs that are installed on your computer by the EOS Solutions disk and just do the default camera-manufacturer processing.

There are all sorts of ways to take shortcuts but I’d rather wait for Adobe software, personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take it easy guys, things take time to be tested .. 1 month after the official release date isn't so bad. It is true that there were some "testing" units of the camera but I guess Adobe can't release the final RAW algorithm based on a prototype because Canon might change something before the final release. Production release should be based on a production release.

The camera is shooting decent JPEGs anyway, but of course not up to the performance we are after using raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the newish Beta 8.7 DNG converter work for 7D 2 RAW files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines