Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

bug in span tag?

Oct 15, 2007 Oct 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I bold in RH (HTML, x5.0.2), published pages display text joined without spaces between words. When I preview in RH, there is no problem: tthe spaces disappear when I publish. For example,

<span style="font-style: italic;">My class is </span><span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;">beginning</span><span
style="font-style: italic;"> at 2:00. </span>

- appears as "My class is beginningat 2:00."

This has caused me no end of grief for years. Any advice appreciated.

- John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2007 Oct 17, 2007
I wonder.

Create a new webhelp layout in the project where you are getting the problem. Do not copy an existing one. Just use the defaults to test.

Still get the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2007 Oct 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just pasted your code into a topic and it appears fine in both IE6 and Firefox, the spacing is correct.

I don't think anyone else has reported this.

Have you tried viewing from different PCs using different browsers? What browser are you using?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm using IE6, and i's a problem on all computers I view it from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if this is X5 specific. I'll test on that later today but I don't think the result will be different.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works OK for me too. Is this problem limited to one project? Try creating a new project and tell us if the same occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need Peter. I use RHX5 still. Our posts crossed. I am not having the problem looking in Firefox and IE6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Icjohn

Create this in a new project and check you have the error.

Zip that project up and send it via my site. Include a link to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might just be a problem in this project.. I've been working on this same project for years. The index file regularly gets corrupted and I have to rename the project to rebuild the index. But I have no idea how to do a batch fix on this problem. I've just build a small toy project and can't duplicate the problem.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you try recreating the topic from scratch. If you copy the text, copy it to Notepad first to ensure you loose any formatting then copy to RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it might be worth rebuilding the CPD file?

See the topic on my site about Opening Projects. Doubtful but it might even fix this problem.

First though try taking a copy of the project and going to the Topic List, select all files and change the CSS to one of the supplied files. Generate an output and see if the problem goes then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I trashed the CPD and xpj files and re-opend with HHP as yu recommend, but it didn't fix the problem. The problem affects many topics, and I daren't recreate each one: there are too many internal links. I'm not sure what you mean by "taking a copy of the project and going to the Topic List, select all files and change the CSS to one of the supplied files."

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John. Go to your Topics tab, select all your topics, right click, select Properties, click on the Appearance tab, change the style sheet to another .CSS file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Colum says is OK if you use just one style sheet as you can revert to your existing style sheet in the same way. If you use more than one, it might be safer to try this with a copy. With the project closed, simply copy the project folder in Windows Explorer and paste it where you want. Keep it local. If you only have one drive, it should create Copy of yourprojectname.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I can only find the 'appearance' tab under 'properties' in the 'project' tab. I have about 2000 topics, so don't want to select every one to apply a new CCS (I guess I can't do this in a batch for all topics?). Changing the CSS for topics where I have a problem with welded words and republishing does not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying you can't select the topic properties from the Topics tab or that you don't want to? If you use the Project tab, you can't select multiple topics to which to apply the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking that as this is an old project, one of RH's internal files is the cause and that there is only one solution, create a new project and import everything into that. I am saying that without the benefit of knowing how big a task that would be.

When you created the dummy project, did you just test with some new text or did you import a "dodgy" topic from the existing project. The latter might be worth a try in terms of telling us something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've created a new project and immported a couple of the offending files, and they display prpoerly when published ( I hadn't tried this before). I guess I'll just have to suck it up and recreate the whole project. BTW: Colum: I don't know how to select topic properties from the TOC tab.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2007 Oct 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you put in that effort...

This is experimental so do it with a copy of the project.

With the copy project closed, delete the eHlpDhtm.js and the projectname.pss file.

Copy the eHlpDhtm.js from the new project you created. Open the project the the pss will get rebuilt.

No scientific reason for doing that, just something that is minimal effort and worth a try.

If it fails, go back to the recreation plan! Do let us know if it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I've just tried this procedure, but the offending pages appear as before (i.e. married text).

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder.

Create a new webhelp layout in the project where you are getting the problem. Do not copy an existing one. Just use the defaults to test.

Still get the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John. I didn't say you could amend a topic's properties from the TOC. If you are amending the properties of multiple topics you have to do so from the Topic List - via the Topics tab in the bottom right hand corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Colum for being so thick! I'll keep this in mind.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pater, By golly, it works! May you know nothing but happiness from this day forward!!!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pater: a hundred thousand belessings!!! It works!!!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John. Thick? I doubt it. Stressed? Possibly. Relieved that Peter's suggestion negated my soloution? Definitely by the sound of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp