• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 7 64 bit installation problem

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Adobe Flash Player on a new PC running Windows 7 64 bit. I downloaded it directly from the Adobe website through IE. The program does not appear on my Program list in Windows although when I check through the Control Panel on programs to uninstall it shows that it is there! (Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX).

Have gone through the Adobe online Help process and it shows that the program is there, it working fine, latest version etc. I unistalled it once using the Adobe flash player uninstall program and reinstalled it but Windows still can not find it. I have repeated this process a second time, following the steps outlined by Pat Willener in his earlier reply to a similar problem on 05/08/2012 7:10 PM. without any sucess.

Note that previously I had installed Google Chrome but had it uninstalled because of some other problems I had with this installation.

Why is that Windows 7 cannot see this programn or allow me to use it with existing FLV files that sit in my Video folder?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player is a browser add-on (ActiveX Control for Internet Explorer, plugin for other browsers), not a standalone program.

There is a standalone Flash Player (Projector; download it from http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html), but it can only play SWF files.  For FLV files you will need a different player, like VLC Media Player.  (There used to be an Adobe Media Player, but it is no longer available for download.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, thank you for your very prompt response.

Regarding my FLF files I will try the VLC Media Player as you suggested, thank you.

Now regarding the Flash Player being a browser add on in my IE, I checked through Tools / Manage add-ons / All Add-ons and it displays only Adobe Shockwave Object from the Adobe range of products. Adobe Flash Player is not an Add-on in my system.

By uninstalling it (when I was trying to install a standalone product), did I delete this Add-on from the available Add-ons from my IE?

And if I did that, how do I reinstate it? (As you said a standalone Flash Player would have its limitations).

I would appreciate your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Flash Player ActiveX for IE is identified as 'Shockwave Flash Object' in the add-ons.  If you have that, and if it is enabled, then you should be fine.

You can test if Flash Player is working at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Pat, Certainly it is there although the name change has been confusing.

Should I uninstall the original that I downloaded directly? It seems unnecessary to keep it given that IE has one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you uninstall it (the IE ActiveX add-on), you will no longer be able to use any Flash content on IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having a question , the Active X flash player which I have used in my .NET az an imported COM Object . Can it only play *.swf ?

if so , how does youtube plays everything by flash player ! . I am lost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines