• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HOW do you buy a STANDALONE copy of Lightroom 5 I DON"T want cloud computing but I want software bug fixes?

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasted 25 minutes texting with a customer service person who could not find the place to buy standalone version of Lightroom 5 ?  I do not want a cloud version as roaming internationally with my laptop and cameras it PROHIBITIVE and cloud connections (any broadband internet connection overseas) is a problem.

The Adobe website appears to have no options for standalone programs anymore ?  too sad.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazon sell it. as either a download or hard copy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify something for your information. It's only necessary to connect to the creative cloud once a month to verify that you have paid your subscription fee. I think that is only quarterly if you paid for a full year. The software is downloaded and installed locally on your computer. So you don't have to have the creative cloud active to use the software. This may not change your mind about subscribing. But I thought it might be worth pointing out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm constantly baffled by how hard this seems to be for some people.

This is what you get if you search Google for "Lightroom 5 download". An obvious search term, and the right result.

Want the Mac download? Add "Mac" to the search term.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link doesn't allow you to buy the software. Which seems to be the part confusing some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its just as easy to buy it from Amazon, B&H or a local vendor if you need it right away.  I don't understand why people think they have to buy the standalone from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe because if you're a new user to Lightroom, you don't know Amazon, B&H and local vendors sell the software ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Seems like a natural question. I don't know why Adobe makes the perpetual license purchase link so difficult to find

I have always purchased my Adobe software direct from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because they want you to buy the rental version.  I can't see any other logical conclusion.  I don't question Adobe marketing.  A quick google search of "buy lightroom 5" brings up all kind of vendors so buyers, even new users, shouldn't have a hard time finding it.  Its even available off the shelf at the local Best Buy and Office Depot so it is not that hard to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Somrak wrote:

Probably because they want you to buy the rental version.  I can't see any other logical conclusion.

Yes, I agree, that's the conclusion.

A quick google search of "buy lightroom 5" brings up all kind of vendors so buyers, even new users, shouldn't have a hard time finding it.  Its even available off the shelf at the local Best Buy and Office Depot so it is not that hard to find.

Because, people go to the Adobe web site for information (a natural thing to do!) and all they see is the Creative Cloud, they can't find the stand-alone on the Adobe web site and so they come to the conclusion that the only choice is the Creative Cloud. Then some of them think to ask the question here in the forum instead of using a search engine. Which is better, a priori, if you know nothing about this issue, asking experts here in the forum or Google? I can see some people choosing to ask the experts in the forum and other people choosing to use a search engine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point (rushed earlier - sorry about that) still stands though.

A Google for "Lightroom 5" gives us this: Photo editor app | Download free Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 trial

Click on "Menu" at top right, then "All Products" and you get this: Products

"Stand-alone" Lightroom is right there.

Was it as easy as it could be? Probably not. Was it hard? No. I didn't know how to find it this way, and it still took me less than twenty seconds from start to finish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but you know what you are looking for. I'm not arguing with you at all. But it seems that new lookers/buyers don't take the time to think through where they are and what they are looking at. A lot of new buyers seem to be purchasing the wrong version. It's easy to find the right one. But you have to know what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith_Reeder wrote:

I'm constantly baffled by how hard this seems to be for some people.

This is what you get if you search Google for "Lightroom 5 download". An obvious search term, and the right result.

Want the Mac download? Add "Mac" to the search term.

IMHO, I think Adobe should pay a little bit more attention to this type of question coming up so many times. I personally don't think they have simplified their business, they have actually added a new layer of complexity to it both from a customer point of view and from a technical point of view; a layer that did not exist 3/4 years ago. The contributors to this forum have to deal with part of that complexity. By introducing the CC Adobe has completely blurred the distinction between resellers (Amazon, B&H, local vendors) and the producer of the software.

I can understand subscribing to the print version of National Geographic; I cannot understand why anybody would think that software is comparable to producing printed magazines; we are decades away from that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2015 Feb 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige does not provide the correct method.  Maybe this worked previously but currently it just brings you to the same subscription site.  I don't know why this is selected as the answer.

I haven't seen a proper explanation for how to buy the perpetual license for Lightroom; so I will provide it.

1. Go to adobe.com

2. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on "products"

Note: DO NOT click on the "products" link from the menu or anyway other than the link specified above.  This will only bring you to page that only offers subscription services

3. Scroll down through the products until you see light room

4. To the right of the Lightroom icon there will be a "buy" link that says upgrade above it.  Ignore the upgrade price and just click on buy.

5. Now click on the pull down menu where you see "upgrade".  Click this and then select "full"

6. Click on "add to cart" and now you can purchase the perpetual license

I am surprised that no one has spelled this out yet.  I have found no other way to add the perpetual license for Lr to the cart other than the method above.  Adobe does indeed make it very hard to find that option.  I have met MANY people who insist that you can only buy the subscription version of Lr.  After going to the adobe site I now understand why.  I am really disappointed in adobe for this reason.  Buying the perpetual version of Lr or elements is the ONLY way to continue to open your images if you ever stop using their subscription products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true. If your subscription expires, Lightroom continues to work, except for the develop module and map module. All other features work, so all of the work that you have put into Lightroom is still available to you.

What happens to Lightroom after my membership ends?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could edit my post!  Let me know if there is a way to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 28, 2015 Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌AS elie-d pointed out, just click on "Action" in the lower left of the post and then select "Edit" to...edit it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 28, 2015 Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Another major annoyance for both all of us and potential buyers of Lr, is the constant stream of people who have say, an old copy of the standalone version on one computer, and then want to transfer it to a new one. They, not realising the difference, download the Cloud version, and then come crying to us as to why their  old serial number doesn't work. This wouldn't happen if there were a notice by the side of the download for the Cloud version, but of course Adobe couldn't possibly do this, could they, it would just too helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wasted 1/2 hour as well. Sick of it, now I buy capture 1.... sorry Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines