Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

runtime error

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2007 Oct 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I created a helpfile in RoboHelp 6 and generated from Microsoft HTML help a .chm file. When clicking on the pages of the .chm file some pages give runtime errors.
The error is: A runtime error has occurred. Do you want to debug? Line:... Error: Object Expected.
What is the problem and how can I resolve it?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 18, 2007 Oct 18, 2007
By importing the file into a new project I'm not surprised they problem was still there. The problem was in the topic.
You have effectively done what I asked you to do in the first place by creating a new topic so I'm glad it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on this link for an explanation and how to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already tried that way to solve the problem. But it doesn't work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it happening on all CHMs? Have you tried creating a new project with a single topic to see if the problem is project related?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a project with about 200 topics(pages) and most topics work fine. When I open my book and open the topics one by one, about 5% of the topics will give this error and the other 95% work correctly.

After changing the internet settings as you suggest above, the error is as follow:
Internet Explorer Script Error
An error has occurred in the script of this page.
Line:..
Char:..
Error: Object Expected
Code: 0
URL:...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had any IE updates applied recently? Also can you tell me whether the topics you created were imported from Word? Is there anything common about the topics that don't work that isn't in the ones that do work.
You also have not said what happens if you create a new project. Do that, create a single topic and recreate one of the failing topics. Don't copy and paste as this may copy across the problem. Compile and let us know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like in those topics you have included something that has a javascript function but the javascript file is not referenced, not referenced correctly or has an error.

Often this can be someone has copied a file that uses javascript to another folder at a different level and not changed the path. Look at the path for javascript calls and compare it to the stylesheet reference. The number of ..\ in it should be the same.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.
I solved the problem on another way. I duplicated in my helpfile a working topic, and copy-pasted there in the non working topic, so I replaced the non working files for other files. I did this for every non-working topic and now the errors are gone.

Anwering your questions:
The topics I created were not imported from word. I couldn't find anything common between the non-working topics, or differences with the topics which work. I tried to make a new project, importing the topic gives the same error.

I also looked at the path for javascript calls and compare it to the stylesheet reference and the number of ..\ in it were the same.

So what the real problem was, I don't know, but it works now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By importing the file into a new project I'm not surprised they problem was still there. The problem was in the topic.
You have effectively done what I asked you to do in the first place by creating a new topic so I'm glad it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Once more, thanks for your help Colum and Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp